Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fridays View Post
    I don't remember but i will say it will be as far back as their earlier films before the disney purchase and over industrialization/monopolization of their films.
    Your choices are Iron Man or Incredible Hulk given Disney bought Marvel in 2009.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-11-2023 at 12:55 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    No investing in new character helps to keep the brand growing the worst thing about the Fox X-Men movies were their constant relying on Wolverine at the sacrifice to other characters him and later Mystique eating the films was atrocious. the 2nd worse thing about the Fox X-Men movies with First Class, Deadpool films, and Logan being the exceptions was how homogenous they were so the Marvels have color isn't a bad thing IMO.
    fox and mcu had a different journey but they are both heading in the same end zone. the core difference from the onset between both studios is that one was about actual film making with a 50/50 chance of it been good or bad (fox), MCU was more about connecting marvel IP and doing set up to keep the momentum going while been more manufactured in film style.

However Both series did depend on at least had some heavy weight characters Wolverine (mostly), Xavier, Magneto on the fox side and the MCU side, Stark, Rodgers, Widow that became the centre core of the series, now they are gone and this is where fox and mcu now find itself in the same place. the franchise not having these characters feels like a gap that is just too big you cannot help but notice their absence on the entire series. I have no doubt this is why this trailer showed too much Nick Fury. They want to remind us, Fury is still around in this big universe with Tony and Steve now retired. Widow dead.

MCU is feeling stale because no character post endgame has shown signs of been the next Stark, Rodgers, Widow. like most fox films post DOFP-Logan with no Wolverine, it just felt like a left over of unnecessary stales, this is where mcu is now post endgame even James Gunn alluded to this last week.

I also think the CGI and cinematography are pretty good in the trailer.
    CGI looks pretty meh, Monica is no longer a human being at 0.13-0.17, it looks worse in that Grace's reaction video. When was Sandra Bullock in space in Gravity? almost 10 years ago and that movie looks way better. This is where mcu should be with their cgi right now.

MCU has never had interesting cinematography but this is given way too much tv basic vibe, it is like they have drawn too much from the ms marvel show to influence this film. it is not a great idea.
    Personally, I think the film looks fun and I wasn't looking forward to this movie because while I enjoyed Captain Marvel it was at the bottom end of the MCU to me and Ms. Marvel was ok.
    I said it looks fun but isn't that the definition of all current CBMs.
    Last edited by Fridays; 04-11-2023 at 12:58 PM.

BANNED

Your choices are Iron Man or Incredible Hulk given Disney bought Marvel in 2009.
    yes.

I do appreciate the first Iron Man film. the cgi is superior to what we have seen so far with The Marvels. The movie had swag and was quite gritty without trying too hard. the cinematography was good too. Not the greatest script but everything else was good.

I also do appreciate Incredible Hulk thanks to Edward Norton's more character piece driven take on the role.
    Last edited by Fridays; 04-11-2023 at 01:05 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fridays View Post
    yes.

I do appreciate the first Iron Man film. the cgi is superior to what we have seen so far with The Marvels. The movie had swag and was quite gritty without trying too hard. the cinematography was good too. Not the greatest script but everything else was good.

I also do appreciate Incredible Hulk thanks to Edward Norton's more character piece driven take on the role.
    So out of 31 films you only liked the first two. So why are you even still interested in following this franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I'm surprised how overtly comedic this is coming off as. Like I know that's the MCU's bread and butter (so much so it just makes it look like your standard MCU flick) but I was expecting a bit more...gravitas, I guess?

In the interest of fairness each lady looks to be getting equal screentime and focus, which is good, yet at the same time it still feels like Carol's gotten her own sequel film hijacked by two other characters and their stories. Do we even count this as Captain Marvel 2?

So they basically wasted SWORD in WandaVision so they had to come up with SPEAR which is basically just comic SWORD. MCU be weird.

It's kind of funny how Carol is still fighting the Kree even decades later. Although considering how powerful all these characters are I'm not sure I'm going to be able to buy the female baddie being able to keep up with all three of them. Carol's supposed to be part of the highest weight class of the MCU.

I'm surprised MCU Carol still has the cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly this.

It looks like it could be a fun time, so far it doesn't fall into "farcical territory" like Thor: L&T did at times.
    Didn't people criticize the humor in Quantumania too?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of wonder if they'll be a few comparisons to Shazam!. Was the Rick body-swap gimmick with Mar-Vell and later Genis a bit of an intended wink to Billy and co's old name?
    I don't know if anyone answered this. Roy Thomas added this a nod the other Captain Marvel.

Folks, keep your posts focused on the topic, not each other.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Love it, really great CGI, color, cinematography and humor. And no Kang. I'm ready after Ant-Man to see a fun story that doesn't focus so hard on being something else.

Though it is a shame that the MCU seems to be pulling a Thor with Captain Marvel and making her more of a jokester. Looks like Monica will be the serious one in this, and they needed to make room for her and her ultra serious Bohner jokes.

Honestly, though, I'll watch this because of Kamela Kahn and nothing else. Her series was all over the place, but she was excellent and fun and a big breath of fresh Marvel air.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm surprised how overtly comedic this is coming off as.
    it tends to be a reaction streak with MCU. Audience/Fans complains about a character having no personality. mcu changes them by making him/her a comedian. that was the word I was looking for, when i compared it the first wonder woman film. gravitas. it feels as if it lacks gravitas compared to wonder woman 1, which has now become the standard to measure female led CBM, though I blame it on their Post Endgame era of movies for the lack of gravitas.

Complaint was Carol was bland -one note- montone in the first film, however I think they can still give her some personality and not make her a jokester as they did with Thor. This is when the series could have used some of Joss Whedon's talent with characterising Carol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    So out of 31 films you only liked the first two. So why are you even still interested in following this franchise?
    1. I follow the movie business in general

2. I watch movies in general so i can chat about it on forums like this

3. I read marvel comics.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Well, Marvel messed up with how they introduced Carol Danvers -- and the entire Captain Marvel premise. Always felt it should have been closer to how she was introduced in the comic books. And Brie is okay -- but they could have made a stronger choice, IMHO. Don't know much about the new Ms. Marvel -- and generally am not a fan of kids in movies, but don't really have a strong opinion. Probably the most interesting character to me is Monica.

As for premise -- didn't really see a lot to make people rush to the theatre.
    I'm fine with Brie. I think the characterization the MCU has gone with Carol left a lot to be desired. When she is the least interesting character in her film something went seriously wrong.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In the interest of fairness each lady looks to be getting equal screentime and focus, which is good, yet at the same time it still feels like Carol's gotten her own sequel film hijacked by two other characters and their stories. Do we even count this as Captain Marvel 2?
    It is the second movie of the MCU franchise, which usually are team-ups like when Winter Soldier had Steve, Bucky and Sam all in the same movie.

I feel like the marketing is doing it on purpose by not putting the focus on Carol in the trailer and putting it on the new characters because ppl haven't decided if they hate them or not
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-11-2023 at 03:23 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

It is the second movie of the MCU franchise, which usually are team-ups like when Winter Soldier had Steve, Bucky and Sam all in the same movie.

I feel like the marketing is doing it on purpose by not putting the focus on Carol in the trailer and putting it on the new characters because ppl haven't decided if they hate them or not
    Ironman 2 War Machine & Black Widow.

Winter Soldier: Winter Soldier & Black Widow.

In the Multiverse of Madness: America Chavez.

Avengers Age of Ultron: Wanda, Pietro, & Vision.

Ant-Man & the Wasp: Wasp.

Wakanda Forever: Ironheart & Namor.

GOTG Vol. 2: Mantis.

Yeah, Outside of the Dark World and Far From Home Marvel usually uses the sequels to introduce new heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Love it, really great CGI, color, cinematography and humor. And no Kang. I'm ready after Ant-Man to see a fun story that doesn't focus so hard on being something else.

Though it is a shame that the MCU seems to be pulling a Thor with Captain Marvel and making her more of a jokester. Looks like Monica will be the serious one in this, and they needed to make room for her and her ultra serious Bohner jokes.

Honestly, though, I'll watch this because of Kamela Kahn and nothing else. Her series was all over the place, but she was excellent and fun and a big breath of fresh Marvel air.
    I don't know if I'd go so far as calling the CG great, it looks about close to the level of Kamala's show.

She seems more like the butt of jokes here than an outright quipper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'm fine with Brie. I think the characterization the MCU has gone with Carol left a lot to be desired. When she is the least interesting character in her film something went seriously wrong.
    In fairness they've kind of jumped around so haphazardly with her that they haven't really had a chance to properly show off her personality.

Ironman 2 War Machine & Black Widow.

Winter Soldier: Winter Soldier & Black Widow.

In the Multiverse of Madness: America Chavez.

Avengers Age of Ultron: Wanda, Pietro, & Vision.

Ant-Man & the Wasp: Wasp.

Wakanda Forever: Ironheart & Namor.

GOTG Vol. 2: Mantis.

Yeah, Outside of the Dark World and Far From Home Marvel usually uses the sequels to introduce new heroes.
    It's not so much introducing new heroes so much as treating it more like they're all equal co-stars instead of supporting characters to the main hero as is more often the case.

I don't think anyone would argue that Iron Man, Cap, and Thor were the main characters of their movies even when other heroes were introduced. I don't get that sense with Carol here.

The movie is called The Marvels. It's not called Captain Marvel 2: Oh and We're Throwing in Some Sidekicks.

So yeah, Kamala and Monica might have larger roles than sidekicks in previous (and proper) sequels.

Now, is that "unfair" to Carol to (quite possibly) not get a full-on sequel? Sure, let's have that conversation. But I'm willing to bet the movie is named as such for a reason.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 04-11-2023 at 04:31 PM.