Page 34 of 85 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Or in Quantumania where they were popping their helmets up at almost every opportunity...

Doom's gonna be show his scars with a handsome face.

Even spidey yanked it off in spider-man 2 in front of a full train of people! Judge dredd took his off in the first film also. Got to show the big name actors face!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Even spidey yanked it off in spider-man 2 in front of a full train of people! Judge dredd took his off in the first film also. Got to show the big name actors face!
    Don’t think that’s really a bad thing.

A full face mask/helmet can make it hard to convey certain emotions. And some of these actors are just pretty to look at.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Another reason i absolutely love Dredd, Karl Urban said that helmet was not coming off for nothing.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

In Guardians of the Galaxy, Ronan kept his helmet and face markings on the entire time. In his first scene you see him from the back as he is being dressed, but after that and for the rest of the movie - never removed them for any reason of dramatic effect, and it pretty much made the actor unrecognizable. I had no idea he was the same actor as was in the Hobbit movies until much later. One of the many things I really appreciated about the GotG movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    In Guardians of the Galaxy, Ronan kept his helmet and face markings on the entire time. In his first scene you see him from the back as he is being dressed, but after that and for the rest of the movie - never removed them for any reason of dramatic effect, and it pretty much made the actor unrecognizable. I had no idea he was the same actor as was in the Hobbit movies until much later. One of the many things I really appreciated about the GotG movie.
    I don't know if that's the best example since his character was paper thin, and there was no need for any kind of facial performance or acting to convey emotions. Ronan was just an angry fanatic the whole time.

If anything, The Mandalorian is a good example of good storytelling and a complex hero who kept his helmet on (almost) the whole time. With superheroes, I think you can have all the emotions and storytelling in scenes with their mask off, which set up the mask-on action scenes that payoff the character drama. The audience should know the emotional stakes at that point so you don't need the actors' full face. Yet they can't help it and keep taking their masks off all the time.

With the Marvels I'm glad they don't use Carol's helmet with the hair sticking out - that always looked kinda dumb to me. But there's no reason to take Kamala's mask off - it barely covers anything anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't know if that's the best example since his character was paper thin, and there was no need for any kind of facial performance or acting to convey emotions. Ronan was just an angry fanatic the whole time.

If anything, The Mandalorian is a good example of good storytelling and a complex hero who kept his helmet on (almost) the whole time. With superheroes, I think you can have all the emotions and storytelling in scenes with their mask off, which set up the mask-on action scenes that payoff the character drama. The audience should know the emotional stakes at that point so you don't need the actors' full face. Yet they can't help it and keep taking their masks off all the time.

With the Marvels I'm glad they don't use Carol's helmet with the hair sticking out - that always looked kinda dumb to me. But there's no reason to take Kamala's mask off - it barely covers anything anyway.
    Or like tokusatsu where like 50% of the show is people emoting in full body costumes with their faces covered.

Ultimate Member

The long-range tracking on The Marvels is terrifyingly low.

It's not helped by the current strike and in the inability of the actors to promote the film.

However, strike or no strike, the movie tracking for a $50- $70 million opening is pretty awful. Based on the reported budget (or at least what we know), it's not totally disastrous but for sequel to a movie that crossed a billion, that tracking is terrible. It seems the marketing of the movie hasn't connected with people at all.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-12-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The long-range tracking on The Marvel's is terrifyingly low.

It's not helped by the current strike and in the inability of the actors to promote the film.

However, strike or no strike, the movie tracking for a $50- $70 million opening is pretty awful. Based on the reported budget (or at least what we know), it's not totally disastrous but for sequel to a movie that crossed a billion, that tracking is terrible. It seems the marketing of the movie hasn't connected with people at all.
    "Look! Carol Danvers teams-up with two people from Disney+ shows! Doesn't that look fun?"

Now I myself like the characters involved and think the idea of them teaming-up is cool...but I also wonder if this is what people were expecting from Carol's next movie after the sheer drought for her outside Endgame (and I guess What If).

Nerdrotic: "See wokness = brokeness! Now put "Ms.Marvel" back in her ass costume and Marvel will be fixed."

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Nerdrotic: "See wokness = brokeness! Now put "Ms.Marvel" back in her ass costume and Marvel will be fixed."
    It's funny you say this because a recent preview of an upcoming Avengers comic had her in the old Ms. Marvel look .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Look! Carol Danvers teams-up with two people from Disney+ shows! Doesn't that look fun?"

Now I myself like the characters involved and think the idea of them teaming-up is cool...but I also wonder if this is what people were expecting from Carol's next movie after the sheer drought for her outside Endgame (and I guess What If).
    Yeah, I think Marvel should have gone "Captain Marvel 2: The Marvels" or something like that.

Stuff like this happens when the studio listens to the "wrong people".

Lucasfilm did a similar thing when they sidelined Rose Tico in the sequel trilogy and overall "over-corrected" to the point of bringing back the Emperor in The Rise of Skywalker.

Although, I will say the first trailer for the movie didn't really work. I used this language back then but perhaps a "weightier film" would have been something audiences would be more interested in. Especially after Thor: L&T.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-12-2023 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I'm still looking forward to it, personally, and kind of feel like all the predictions of doom might be off? I mean, I honestly have no idea what metrics are used to effectively predict the future here, but there has to be some margin for error, I'd think.

And yeah, where from one perspective I could see people seeing this movie as "stealing" a proper sequel from Carol by shoving these other characters in and apparently giving them equal time in the spotlight ... they also are getting to introduce a multi-ethnic, multi-generational, all female superhero team. Like, I recall the Wanda/Natasha/Okoye scene in Infinity War and the more heavy-handed version in Endgame, and think this is Marvel trying to make a big push at once to correct how heavily gender-imbalanced earlier phases were.

I'm down with that concept personally, particularly considering this "wokeness" doesn't feel forced or preachy to me ... in fact, maybe effort to avoid that is why the previews have such a light-hearted tone? Eh, I don't know. But also -- mostly just hope that I personally enjoy it, and I guess that it doesn't lose a ton of money. I don't think the MCU needs every movie to be the biggest blockbuster smash, at this point. Given the Avengers movies have been called "the world's most expensive tv show", I'd say it's okay if not every episode has the most immediate or widespread success.

Like over on the Disney+ side, the new season of Loki I think just needs to not be worse than the first season ... it doesn't need to break records, I don't think. Same here, I'd say.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I'm still looking forward to it, personally, and kind of feel like all the predictions of doom might be off? I mean, I honestly have no idea what metrics are used to effectively predict the future here, but there has to be some margin for error, I'd think.

And yeah, where from one perspective I could see people seeing this movie as "stealing" a proper sequel from Carol by shoving these other characters in and apparently giving them equal time in the spotlight ... they also are getting to introduce a multi-ethnic, multi-generational, all female superhero team. Like, I recall the Wanda/Natasha/Okoye scene in Infinity War and the more heavy-handed version in Endgame, and think this is Marvel trying to make a big push at once to correct how heavily gender-imbalanced earlier phases were.

I'm down with that concept personally, particularly considering this "wokeness" doesn't feel forced or preachy to me ... in fact, maybe effort to avoid that is why the previews have such a light-hearted tone? Eh, I don't know. But also -- mostly just hope that I personally enjoy it, and I guess that it doesn't lose a ton of money. I don't think the MCU needs every movie to be the biggest blockbuster smash, at this point. Given the Avengers movies have been called "the world's most expensive tv show", I'd say it's okay if not every episode has the most immediate or widespread success.

Like over on the Disney+ side, the new season of Loki I think just needs to not be worse than the first season ... it doesn't need to break records, I don't think. Same here, I'd say.
    Most people just want a fun or enjoyable movie. All the talk of budgets and B.O. is just for bragging rights.