Page 58 of 85 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

$63.3M WW opening, total opening estimate $110M.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Sorry if you don't understand my simple English.

Story still primarily dictates how a movie is received. A story about one known and two unknown characters switching powers at inconvenient times is not engaging. I'm among the audience that didn't go see it for that very reason.

Hope that enlightened you!
    Wow you said exactly nothing, other than you have no clue what you're talking about, and think acting smug about that makes you look superior when it just reaffirms that what you're saying has no worth at all.

Mighty Member

I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    I loved it.
    Yah, my primary complaint would be that I saw it in regular 3D instead of IMAX. Honestly thought of just going back today to see it on the even bigger screen, but (no fault of the movie at all) I unfortunately don't have the time.

I don't want to just start completely talking about the movie ignoring all spoilers, but I'll say I actually like Dar-Benn. I suppose it is primarily to the charisma of the actor, but isn't that often the case with live action? I thought the actress brings a Khaleesi kind of energy to the role -- that is, the "breaker of chains" Khaleesi, not the "I'll slaughter innocents just cuz" Khaleesi.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Yah, my primary complaint would be that I saw it in regular 3D instead of IMAX. Honestly thought of just going back today to see it on the even bigger screen, but (no fault of the movie at all) I unfortunately don't have the time.

I don't want to just start completely talking about the movie ignoring all spoilers, but I'll say I actually like Dar-Benn. I suppose it is primarily to the charisma of the actor, but isn't that often the case with live action? I thought the actress brings a Khaleesi kind of energy to the role -- that is, the "breaker of chains" Khaleesi, not the "I'll slaughter innocents just cuz" Khaleesi.
    LOL...the actress is exactly why I hated Dar-Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    LOL...the actress is exactly why I hated Dar-Benn
    Oh yeah, I saw that you'd said that ... well, different strokes, I guess?

spoilers:
    My only complaint for her really would be the more general one, that the MCU continues to choose to just one-off its villains. I think it makes sense on one hand, because it just outright avoids that philosophical trap about Batman never stopping the Joker (or Daredevil never stopping Kingpin, or whatever hero never stopping their repeat villain, and the question of whether they are effective if the bad guy just keeps coming back).

The narrative counter-argument to definitively closing out stories by killing the villain would be -- well, consider if Loki was permanently killed off, after his first turn as the primary villain in a movie?

IOW, I think villains like Dar-Benn (and their portrayal by their actors) are hurt by the completely practical decision to not have the villains on an endless merry-go-round of getting caught and getting out to do more damage again. The consequence of that decision is that the MCU looks and feels distinctively different from comics this way -- we are used to our villains getting to have time to grow and develop.

The MCU is in new territory though, because the amount of material they've adapted from one medium to another at this point is unprecedented...
    end of spoilers

I enjoyed it much better than the first Captain Marvel movie, which always stood out as one of the worst MCU movies for me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And marvels opens to $47m. Again, many movies would love to open to that, but this is an mcu film. This is really low for them! It's down there with incredible hulk and inhumans the movie!
    A lot of films would kill for that. Especially DC.

And in the end it's the 33rd movie if Marvel Universe-guess what it's not the end of the world.

A movie where the stars could not promote the movie.

And folks forget we are heading into Thanksgiving Break for a lot school districts start this week. So there is time to get some more money before Hunger Games tortures us all.

It's easy to predict its flop.

1 The first one wasn't amazing, only hit 1b due to it was released between Avengers 3 and 4.
    2 The new character require the audience to watch series to know them.
    3 Bad storywriting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    I enjoyed it much better than the first Captain Marvel movie, which always stood out as one of the worst MCU movies for me.
    No doubt the first was bad, but this one is a meh to me as well.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 11-12-2023 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    $63.3M WW opening, total opening estimate $110M.
    It's below the Flash right?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    'Kay. I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

And in the end it's the 33rd movie if Marvel Universe-guess what it's not the end of the world.

A movie where the stars could not promote the movie.

And folks forget we are heading into Thanksgiving Break for a lot school districts start this week. So there is time to get some more money before Hunger Games tortures us all.
    This is one of the things I love about the movie. I don't think that a kid needs to have seen any of the previous shows or movies, to enjoy this one.

I kind of feel like the balance they struck is that all the continuity and easter egg stuff is for the adult fans who have been watching and reading comics forever, while they provided a fast paced spectacle to keep kids entertained.

I don't want to spoil the end scene where Kamala has the data pad, but her doing that was obviously paralleling the post-credits of Fury originally forming the Avengers. As someone who works with kids who are young enough to have not seen Infinity War or Endgame, I feel like this movie would be a great introduction to the MCU for them. There's obviously a ton more for them to enjoy after, and more importantly -- we know there's more coming! So yay for the new young fans!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    It's easy to predict its flop.

1 The first one wasn't amazing, only hit 1b due to it was released between Avengers 3 and 4.
    2 The new character require the audience to watch series to know them.
    3 Bad storywriting.

You already make it clear you're not talking in good faith because you're bringing up this "Captain Marvel only did well because of Avengers!" Bs, and you're wrong because you don't need to watch the shows to understand the characters the movie explains everything you need to know about them, so I doubt you even watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by StickMin View Post
    You already make it clear you're not talking in good faith because you're bringing up this "Captain Marvel only did well because of Avengers!" Bs, and you're wrong because you don't need to watch the shows to understand the characters the movie explains everything you need to know about them, so I doubt you even watched it.
    I spent money to watch it and I can tell that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Low budgeted films would be happy with that.