Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Superman vs Batman, a rivalry only enjoyed by Batman fans.

for a long time in Batman comics Superman has been used as a clown, Superman appears is humiliated and leaves. Why don't they fight back in Superman comics, I know it's childish, but they are comics after all, that Superman fans also enjoy this rivalry, not just Batman fans.

I'd guess because writers know that, really, it's a fight Clark can't win and Bruce can't lose. There's no benefit to it for Clark.

If Clark beats up Bruce, then he's a god-like alien who successfully beat up a regular dude. Not much of a victory. If Clark gets beat up by a regular dude, then it's an even worse defeat. There's no real winning here.

If Bruce beats up Clark, then obviously that's a huge victory. But if Bruce loses (assuming he doesn't die), then he's a regular dude who went toe to toe with a god-like alien and lived to tell the tale. Which is still a win. There's no real losing here.

I prefer these two to have a lot of respect for each other but not really like each other. I want them to be brothers, not besties. And even I think that if you write the two of them throwing hands, you've likely missed the point and are probably doing it wrong.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

To me it's the most boring idea, but I mean that to the point that I don't even care if people make those stories. If a story where Diana overpowers him or Bruce outsmarts him appeals to you, have fun. Though it seems counterintuitive... not really an underdog story at all by this point
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm a Batman fan that doesn't enjoy the rivalry too much. Aside from Dark Knight Returns (where the rivalry was interesting and part of an epic story), I can't say I care for it much. I know that this rivalry is a largely a post-DKR post-COIE thing, attempting to create the drama (where it wasn't) and generate sales.

Batman being a such distrustful jerk at times also a Post-COIE creation really. So it's frustrating. All seemingly part of Marvelizations of Superman and Batman, all aimed at money.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-11-2023 at 10:41 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd guess because writers know that, really, it's a fight Clark can't win and Bruce can't lose. There's no benefit to it for Clark.

If Clark beats up Bruce, then he's a god-like alien who successfully beat up a regular dude. Not much of a victory. If Clark gets beat up by a regular dude, then it's an even worse defeat. There's no real winning here.

If Bruce beats up Clark, then obviously that's a huge victory. But if Bruce loses (assuming he doesn't die), then he's a regular dude who went toe to toe with a god-like alien and lived to tell the tale. Which is still a win. There's no real losing here.

I prefer these two to have a lot of respect for each other but not really like each other. I want them to be brothers, not besties. And even I think that if you write the two of them throwing hands, you've likely missed the point and are probably doing it wrong.
    Since Superman can never win, let him always be a clown, so good. besides that there is a very simple solution, give Batman powers and Superman defeat him, or take away Superman's powers and still win.

Astonishing Member

The writer of One Punch man already solved this "problem". The solution to it has been discussed a length in the past, if Batman's writers and fans want to be a pain in the ass to the Superman world (and frankly the rest of comics) so bad then you need to put Bruce and his part of the world in it's respective place. Saitama regularly steam rolls just about anything put in front of him and even when he does encounter worthy opponents he still steam rolls them and people cheer for Saitama all the time. So this isn't really an issue at all it is just a matter of getting a certain part of Superman's fanbase to stop viewing the character as passive and allowing Clark to assert himself as he was able to do in the Golden and Silver Age era's. If Clark swats Bruce like a fly then the absolute worst that can happen to him is that people will call him overpowered but they've been doing that even with the Byrne era power adjustments in tow.

But I do have to say there is something uniquely American about big rich guy beating up work class hero who fights for the little guy and the public always backing the rich guy. Probably a reason why American comics don't sell too well. Nobody wants to read that deep down besides malcontent losers.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

The part that confuses me is that we're supposed to root for Batman because he's the underdog, but people who insist on making this matchup happen will tell you Batman's also the favorite. Whatever, people...

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Since Superman can never win, let him always be a clown, so good. besides that there is a very simple solution, give Batman powers and Superman defeat him, or take away Superman's powers and still win.
    It is so time for a non powered Clark Kent to defeat Batman in a fist fight.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    It is so time for a non powered Clark Kent to defeat Batman in a fist fight.
    No, you don't make Clark look better by pulling combat mastery out of thin air. Better to have Batman lose on other levels. Contests involving teams where Superman gets better recruits because outside of the Batclan no one else trusts Bruce. Or intellectual challenges where Batman simply makes wrong assumptions.

Let Bruce be the king of the hill. Just make sure he isn't shown ruling places that aren't on that hill.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Well, my point is that there shouldn't be a fight at all. When there's conflict between these two, it should be less physical, and more....

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Better to have Batman lose on other levels
    ....more like this here. Batman loses to Superman when he loses the debate, when he's proven wrong, not when he gets beat up. Bruce only loses when Clark looks at him and says "I told you so." Clark's a Kryptonian, beating up a 'powerless' human isn't a win regardless of the details. But if you want to hit Bruce where it counts, you have him lose the intellectual battle.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

If a non powered Superman could go the distance with Ali, he can handle a guy that gets beat by Ted Grant or Cat woman. I mean the point is the Underdog finds a way.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    The part that confuses me is that we're supposed to root for Batman because he's the underdog, but people who insist on making this matchup happen will tell you Batman's also the favorite. Whatever, people...
    This is why I'm team Superman. Team Batman thinks knowing martial arts is a superpower? lolz... A Kryptonian can learn a new martial art in less than a month. Also, especially when dealing with military Kryptonians like Dru-Zod.... it boggles the mind that people try to assume Kryptonians have NO fighting skills. Totally illogical for Kryptonians to not, well, practice actual combat.

See, that's the side of Superman that gets ignored. Superman BEAT General Zod. He's fought a LOt of guys who were powerful enough he needed combat tactics, strategy and martial arts skills to win the day.

At the end of the day.... it's like Stan the man said all those years ago about Hulk vs Thing... the real answer to "who would win?" is "Who does the writer want to win?"

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

The best way to do this is have Superman outsmart Batman, highlighting his actual super intelligence. Make Superman responsible for the best of batman's tech. Let Superman develop his own fail-safes against batman's horrible judgement calls. Let Clark Kent's reporting give Batman clues he needs for his cases. It's not that hard.

RCO018_1575451162.jpg

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are more important things to Superman than winning.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    RCO018_1575451162.jpg

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are more important things to Superman than winning.
    1: It's a loser's excuse.
    2: their combats are not friendly, there is always something at stake, for Superman to let himself win is a total lack of responsibility.
    3: it bores that Superman is a perfect gift, especially with Batman, it even seems that he is afraid of him.