Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Are There Any Post Claremont/Simonson New Mutants comics Worth Reading?

I'm almost finished reading Claremont's run on New Mutants. I really like the characters Claremont created with this series. I'm intend to read Louise Simonson's run whenever the third New Mutants omnibus comes out.

I'm really cautious about the post-Claremont X-Men comics, but I'm curious about any New Mutants comics that came after.

New Mutants vol 2 (2003.) It's less horror themed, but the story has such loveable characters and fun teen drama. The story continues into New X-Men vol 2 (2004), where there's morr stakes, action and typical superhero storylines.

I know it's different, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. But it really is charming. There's a reason why this generation has an ardent fanbase to this day, 19 years and 11 months later.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Vol. 2 is okay, but it doesn't focus on the original team as much as I would have liked, and some of the art is really terrible.

J.F. Moore's run on X-Force, particularly the Roadtrip storyline, was good and felt more like the New Mutants than the rest of the run. Most of the characters at that point are from Claremont's run, too.

New Mutants vol. 3 is the first real reunion of Claremont's cast and fixes some of Simonson's mistakes. Zeb Wells wrote issues 1-24. His run is good, but frequently derailed by crossovers. Abnett and Lanning's run isn't quite so well regarded (I preferred it, personally), but it handles the big events much better and ran from 25 - 50.

New Mutants vol. 4 started out kind of rough, but Vita Ayala's run was really good.

Don't touch the two New Mutants minis -- they were terrible.

Zeb Wells' New Mutants is AMAZING!! Highly recommended.

Definitely Vita run. Vita and Ron reis created poetry in some of those issues.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Zeb Wells' run and Vita Ayala's run are my favorites post-Claremont/Simonson (Simonson's run falls off after Inferno too).

There are also portions of the original X-Force that follow up on NM really well -- John Francis Moore's run, which stars Mirage, Cannonball, Sunspot, Boom Boom, and Warpath, among other characters, is great.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Wells' run has some throwbacks to the Volume 1 era especially with Legion being in the first arc and an Inferno tie-in later. The Nercosha tie-in is fun too.

The Krakoa era volume isn't that good.
    "Cable was right!"

Zeb wells new mutants

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    New Mutants vol 2 (2003.) It's less horror themed, but the story has such loveable characters and fun teen drama. The story continues into New X-Men vol 2 (2004), where there's morr stakes, action and typical superhero storylines.

I know it's different, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. But it really is charming. There's a reason why this generation has an ardent fanbase to this day, 19 years and 11 months later.
    My thoughts exactly. Speaking as a long-suffering fan of Sofia Mantega, I couldn't have said it better. Definitely, an All-Time Favorite (T_T)

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-12-2023 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Speaking as a long-suffering fan of Sofia Mantega, I couldn't have said it better. Definitely, an All-Time Favorite (T_T)

I like the costume designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Vol. 2 is okay, but it doesn't focus on the original team as much as I would have liked, and some of the art is really terrible.

J.F. Moore's run on X-Force, particularly the Roadtrip storyline, was good and felt more like the New Mutants than the rest of the run. Most of the characters at that point are from Claremont's run, too.

New Mutants vol. 3 is the first real reunion of Claremont's cast and fixes some of Simonson's mistakes. Zeb Wells wrote issues 1-24. His run is good, but frequently derailed by crossovers. Abnett and Lanning's run isn't quite so well regarded (I preferred it, personally), but it handles the big events much better and ran from 25 - 50.

New Mutants vol. 4 started out kind of rough, but Vita Ayala's run was really good.

Don't touch the two New Mutants minis -- they were terrible.
    You mean Truth or Death? I liked it and think its worth a read

Yeah, I couldn't get through it. Part of it was the art. It's been a long time, though, maybe I'd find out better on a reread. I did finish Dead Souls, but I wasn't impressed.

I really like New Mutants: Dead Souls <3

Extraordinary Member

Deadpool's first appearance was in New Mutants vol. 1 issue 98, which was after Simonson had left. So that would be worth checking out for its historical value at the very least.

Truth or Death is not worth checking out. It's a bad story which never made sense and had glaring continuity problems even at the time, and it has not only never been referenced since, it's also been rendered non-canon by later and better stories. So there's nothing of value to gained by reading it, not even anything that has any bearing on the characters of the main 616 timeline.

New Mutants Vol. 2 is worth checking out if you like the Academy X kids from the mid-2000s. It leads into New X-Men.

The 21-issue Zeb Wells run is the most 'essential' New Mutants comics post-Claremont, and it actually resolves some things that had been left dangling from Claremont's original run. The series continued for another 29 issues after Wells left, but it's not as good after that, kind of like how the original series went downhill after Claremont left. It still has it's moments.

Dead Souls is probably Rosenberg's best work with the X-Men franchise. It's a decent read, and it shows some development in Illyana's growth as a leader and Rahne coming to terms with her son's murder. The main problem is it ends on a cliffhanger that mostly just gets resolved off-panel in Rosenberg's Uncanny, so there's nothing truly essential about any of it.

Vol. 3 is mostly worth checking out. The early Hickman issues are good fun, though the Ed Brisson issues should mostly be avoided except for issues 12 and 13, which are surprisingly good. The Vita Ayala run is worth checking out for the character work and Rod Reis' art, though the plotting is hit or miss.

I'm not reading the current Lethal Legion mini, so I can't speak to it's quality, but if the writing is at the same level as the last New Mutants issues by the same author were, then it's definitely not worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    I really like New Mutants: Dead Souls <3
    I kinda liked it but wouldn't say it was anything amazing or essential.

I agree with a lot of the comments here for the most part.

New Mutants vol 1 is great until Claremont leaves. It's really up and down after that.
    Will have to decent a little on vol. 2 as I have almost no positive things to say about it.
    vol 3 was great until Zeb Wells left. Then it was just ok-ish.
    Vol 4. Mostly good until the last handful of issues. I didn't hate it but the was kind of a rough.