Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Superman has been woke since the 50s

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Superman has been woke since the 50s

Well, he fought against the Klan on radio in 46.

Considering he is Jewish, not surprising. After all El is Israeli name.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Remember folks! "Politics" in comics were much more subtle back in the day than they are now.

Ultimate Member

It just goes to show that nothing is really new, whether it's woke or not.

A lot of media people have pointed out received complaints upon release back in the day. The major difference is that 1. People listen these days. Perhaps it was a generational thing, but people just flat out refused to listen to the "underserved" in society. 2. There was no social media so a lot more voices simply couldn't be heard (this works both ways to be honest). 3. Demographic change. A lot more people these days openly identify as LGBTIQ and the overall minority population has increased.

Subtle?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Subtle?

like cap punching hitler on the cover of the first issue. that's what they mean by subtle.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I don't even think Psycho would be safe or Silence of the Lambs would be safe.
    Dressed To Kill could be grouped with those films. On the other hand in those films, spoilers:
    the bad guys turn out to be "trans"
    end of spoilers so certain politicians and pundits would probably be fine with them.

Yeah, I used this exact example on another site when some poster was complaining about someone pointing out a character's (I think it was Tony Stark) white privilege and how comics are "ruined due to politics now."

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

This video kind of highlights the absolute silliness of the Mario situation.

How so many of these chucks were attacking Mario pre-release as being woke only for a lot of them to say something different when the film released.
    That one guy saying Mario doesn't need power ups has never play a Mario game in his life.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I don't even think Psycho would be safe or Silence of the Lambs would be safe.
    Psycho and Silence of the Lambs would be safe. The former has a crossdressing man as a villain and the latter has a transgender person as a villain. That's exactly the type of movie The "go woke, go broke", "no politics in my movies" crowd loves.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    That one guy saying Mario doesn't need power ups has never play a Mario game in his life.
    That would be Tim Pool.

Most of these guys have quite clearly never played Mario and don't know anything about the game.

Some of their commentary is just embarrassing.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That would be Tim Pool.

Most of these guys have quite clearly never played Mario and don't know anything about the game.

Some of their commentary is just embarrassing.
    I think most of them actually do know better, it's just that they're pandering to a certain crowd, but they can't always keep their bs straight. A couple of these guys when they're not misrepresenting someone or something, will completely contradict themselves but their audience won't care as long as they look like they're attacking "the woke" or "The Left"...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think most of them actually do know better, it's just that they're pandering to a certain crowd, but they can't always keep their bs straight. A couple of these guys when they're not misrepresenting someone or something, will completely contradict themselves but their audience won't care as long as they look like they're attacking "the woke" or "The Left"...
    Very true.

Their arguments now are if a movie is a hit, it's not woke (regardless of what they said earlier). If it's a flop, it's woke.

Their logic even contradicts itself but ultimately it's just about attacking the woke left.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I know what you mean. For many of them, and those who post responses to them, the very inclusion of black/ Asian/ non-Christian/ gay/ trans characters is woke as if the very idea of acknowledging they even exist, let alone acceptance, is a bad thing. The very words "inclusive" and "acceptance" are evil. I mean, can't we just go back to pretending and make America only white male Christian straight again?
    Sometimes read religious movie "reviews" for a laugh and discovered one Christian site on the subject recently added a "wokeism" category to their breakdowns of "problematic" content in the movies it analyzes. There's no commentary on what elements led the writer(s) to assign the label to the movie, just how heavy or light it is. For example, their "review" of the recent Dungeons & Dragons movie mostly focused on how Christians shouldn't see it because of the magic, but labeled it as "heavily" woke despite that never coming up in the main article. (Given that the website in question praised a piece of Donald Trump propaganda, one can easily guess that the diverse cast is probably what offended the writer, but still.)

I honestly don't know whether to be disturbed by this kind of thing or to laugh at it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)