Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Seriously, the US literally rolled back reproductive rights basically to "own the feminists", it'll probably outlaw abortion pills and eventually contraception, several states have banned books, passed anti-trans laws, and a governor (who could end up being President) is literally fighting an entire corporation over the right to their free speech. Some of the most powerful people in the world are talking (stupidly I might add) about the woke mind virus and while one might acknowledge these guys are stupid, they wield real power and can affect real change on society be it negative or not.
    this is anecdotal evidence, but in my experience, men tend to be more in favor of abortion than women... because it's a way to escape consequences and financial ruin for them. (this is true for women too, obviously. kids ARE expensive!)

but the most savage and relentless opponents of abortion that I've known over the years have all been women. it seems like a lot of women probably build their identity around the ability to give birth... like they consider it some sort of sacred gift from Nature and think that all women should hold pregnancy and children in high regard. there isn't some universal sisterhood of women that is always out there fighting for women's rights.

in a similar vein; it's like that proverb that "slut-shaming is something men do to women"... when, in my observations, body-shaming and slut-shaming against women is perpetrated by other women the vast majority of the time. it's probably based on the different methods that women use to compete against each other. women will say truly vile and vicious things about each other, and to each other, that most men couldn't even imagine.

I guess where I'm going with this is... if you assume that all of this culture war stuff is being done by conservative white evangelical Christian men... then you probably don't truly understand the people you're fighting against. [this is, of course, assuming that you're actively trying to stop them]

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, it was at the end of Mrs Doubtfire that the audience got a reality check".

The judge's ruling after he lost his kids was pretty telling because as you said, he did a lot of pretty terrible (but extremely funny) things.
    true. "Rick and Morty" and "South Park" are funny.... but you wouldn't want people in your life acting like that!

There's the Fate/Stay Night anime series in which the legendary King Arthur was revealed to be actually a woman. But the show is Japanese. Not many Westerners have seen it.

Can anyone imagine the public's reaction to when a Hollywood film showing King Arthur as a woman?

Extremism either way sucks Donkey Kong balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Extremism either way sucks Donkey Kong balls.
    Naw, this isn't really a "same thing, both sides" situation.

Mighty Member

I disagree with the OP on a few things. but I will argue that angry Catholics did NOT cancel Sinead O'Connor.

Sinead O'Connor was her own worst enemy at multiple levels. it's not like she was some naive innocent victim. she deliberately sought to provoke a ton of people. if she had focused on making good music longer before she jumped off the deep end things -might- have turned out differently. then there was the grim reality that her most famous song was a cover... and that her first album was arguably her only truly good one. (a lot of performers only have one great album in them)

maybe the bigger problem is that O'Connor couldn't separate her private life and her public persona.... and just felt at liberty to "go crazy".

P. J. Harvey and Tori Amos wrote songs that were even more inflammatory and controversial in content than O'Connor... but they focused on their songwriting craft and left the theatrics on the back burner.

in the grand scheme of things O'Connor was a talented performer of merely average songwriting ability. the fact that she was a woman probably didn't help... but people like Lou Reed, Tom Waits, and Frank Zappa did stuff that was far more offensive than O'Connor and they just kept going.

then again, none of those guys tried to court mainstream success or embrace it.

I don't even remember "The Last Temptation of Christ" as trying to portray religion in a bad light. last I checked Scorcese was Catholic and Kazantzakis was Greek Orthodox. it was just considered blasphemous and heretical by a lot of people at a conceptual level. and the boycott basically failed. I knew a couple of people who watched it because they loved the idea of offending Catholics and ended up not liking the movie because it wasn't what they were expecting.

I could be wrong, but after the disastrous failure of Prohibition to make a better society... most liberals and progressives tend to shy away from trying to boycott/outlaw stuff. (the majority of people who supported Prohibition would have been women and progressive Protestants from a wide variety of ethnicities, and ... it was mostly in response to the crisis level numbers of alcoholics and domestic abuse. a lot of Catholics and conservatives were not especially anxious to support the Prohibition of alcohol. at any rate... alcoholism eventually got so bad that people felt like they needed to do something after WWI. all that PTSD and addiction made things pretty bad for a lot of people. since they couldn't really do anything about the PTSD war vets... banning alcohol might have been the simplest solution to a complex cultural problem)

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    People keep saying that you can't make Blazing Saddles today, Tarantino remade it twice..."D'Jango" and then "Hateful Eight" in both movies they say the N-Word like hundred times, then in H8 they punch a woman in the face as a running joke, have man on man rape, and gore.
    They also literally remade Blazing Saddles just last year. They animated it and called it Paws of Fury

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I never really understood the appeal of that film. it's not badly made... I just couldn't get over how the main character is a horrible person. he dresses up as a woman, lies to his ex-wife, and then spitefully antagonizes her new boyfriend, and uses this fake identity to get close to his kids because getting a regular job was just too difficult and soul-destroying for him?

then again, I thought "Dead Poet's Society" was an absurdly dishonest and manipulative film too.
    I don't think that's the only Robin Williams movie you can say that about.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    They also literally remade Blazing Saddles just last year. They animated it and called it Paws of Fury
    And now they're remaking it again.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And now they're remaking it again.

It looks like a spoof of those blaxploitation westerns we had for a short period of time "Buck and The Peacher" etc

Now here's something you can't do now, one of them was literally titled "The Legend of N****r Charlie"!

Astonishing Member

I dont know I think the culture is always evolving. I watch Its always sunny in Philadelphia and that show takes on stuff, and does stuff that is as risky as anything ever on tv. People tend to ignore certain things and highlight others. There are things they cant or won't do that they did in the 30s and 40s and that's a good thing. Thats not being woke, that's just the culture moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I dont know I think the culture is always evolving. I watch Its always sunny in Philadelphia and that show takes on stuff, and does stuff that is as risky as anything ever on tv. People tend to ignore certain things and highlight others. There are things they cant or won't do that they did in the 30s and 40s and that's a good thing. Thats not being woke, that's just the culture moving forward.

That's what being woke is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I disagree with the OP on a few things. but I will argue that angry Catholics did NOT cancel Sinead O'Connor.

Sinead O'Connor was her own worst enemy at multiple levels. it's not like she was some naive innocent victim. she deliberately sought to provoke a ton of people. if she had focused on making good music longer before she jumped off the deep end things -might- have turned out differently. then there was the grim reality that her most famous song was a cover... and that her first album was arguably her only truly good one. (a lot of performers only have one great album in them)

maybe the bigger problem is that O'Connor couldn't separate her private life and her public persona.... and just felt at liberty to "go crazy".)
    I saw Sinead O'Connor about 11 years ago in Manhattan and before she came on, her tour people placed sheets of paper in various places on the stage with instructions on where to focus etc. it seemed at the time that they gave her visual cues to deal with her anxiety and mental health issues. At one point she stopped the concert because a woman in front of me was wearing a lion headpiece (in homage to "The Lion and the Cobra") and she refused to sing until the woman removed it, claiming it was freaking her out. She came across as a very troubled person and is diagnosed with bipolar disorder and had tried to take her life a couple of times. I don't believe she felt at liberty to go crazy.