Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    And today, “Cop Killer” is widely recognized as a classic. Ice T and Body Count just told it like it was and is, true poets of the streets.

It goes to show you that hyped up outrage is no judge of what’s actually good art.
    Exactly.

10char.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think we are talking about the reaction to John saying they were more popular than Jesus, not their disbanding.

Yeah, this is what I meant.

I've rewritten Blazing Saddles to conform to todays standards.
    Opening scene: Blazing Saddles song is sung showing the citizens of Rock Ridge going about their lives.
    Dissolve to closing credits.
    The End.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Opening scene: Blazing Saddles song is sung showing the citizens of Rock Ridge going about their lives.
    The End.
    krazijoe Johnson is right.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The article acknowledged that.
    Sure, but I still think it's a kind of lazy article. It's implying that right wingers now are more obsessed with pop culture than before and the truth is that they've never not been obsessed with it.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    The End.
    People keep saying that you can't make Blazing Saddles today, Tarantino remade it twice..."D'Jango" and then "Hateful Eight" in both movies they say the N-Word like hundred times, then in H8 they punch a woman in the face as a running joke, have man on man rape, and gore.

Invincible Member

On the other hand, I don't remember fart jokes in the Tarantino movies, so...

Yeah, people who say certain things couldn't be made today are being very hyperbolic. All kinds of raunchy, racial and sexual jokes are made today. Some even more explicit than what was in Mel Brooks comedy. Y'all ever watch Big Mouth? Lol

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Sure, but I still think it's a kind of lazy article. It's implying that right wingers now are more obsessed with pop culture than before and the truth is that they've never not been obsessed with it.
    That's fair. Where I agree with the article is what looks like the "escalation" of some these issues (into really ugly situations). Younger conservatives are using social media to amplify the most radical, out-there views to get people's attention. Maybe it's because there are more of them coming out than before (seriously, I've lost count of the number of grifters on youtube and tiktok) but to your point, conservatives have always attacked popular entertainment, but the messaging now is getting more and more unhinged (probably because of algorithms).

The reactionary right isn't just about complaining and boycotting stuff now, they've moved "culture war" into actual political policy. There's a dangerous convergence of culture war and policy that's creating a very interesting and dangerous atmosphere for some people (I can only imagine what trans people are going through now). This isn't the first time this has happened in the US but it's definitely the first time it's happened for a good, long while now. I mean, Birth of a Nation was a movie that literally drove up membership in the KKK and was endorsed by Woodrow Wilson (that's another person that's been whitewashed by history but that's a story for another time).

Seriously, the US literally rolled back reproductive rights basically to "own the feminists", it'll probably outlaw abortion pills and eventually contraception, several states have banned books, passed anti-trans laws, and a governor (who could end up being President) is literally fighting an entire corporation over the right to their free speech. Some of the most powerful people in the world are talking (stupidly I might add) about the woke mind virus and while one might acknowledge these guys are stupid, they wield real power and can affect real change on society be it negative or not.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-01-2023 at 03:51 PM.

You couldn't make Blazing Saddles then. The Studio demanding all sorts of cuts, Brooks had final say in his contract.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

That's fair. Where I agree with the article is what looks like the "escalation" of some these issues (into really ugly situations). Younger conservatives are using social media to amplify the most radical, out-there views to get people's attention. Maybe it's because there are more of them coming out than before (seriously, I've lost count of the number of grifters on youtube and tiktok) but to your point, conservatives have always attacked popular entertainment, but the messaging now is getting more and more unhinged (probably because of algorithms).

The reactionary right isn't just about complaining and boycotting stuff now, they've moved "culture war" into actual political policy. There's a dangerous convergence of culture war and policy that's creating a very interesting and dangerous atmosphere for some people (I can only imagine what trans people are going through now). This isn't the first time this has happened in the US but it's definitely the first time it's happened for a good, long while now. I mean, Birth of a Nation was a movie that literally drove up membership in the KKK and was endorsed by Woodrow Wilson (that's another person that's been whitewashed by history but that's a story for another time).

Seriously, the US literally rolled back reproductive rights basically to "own the feminists", it'll probably outlaw abortion pills and eventually contraception, several states have banned books, passed anti-trans laws, and a governor (who could end up being President) is literally fighting an entire corporation over the right to their free speech. Some of the most powerful people in the world are talking (stupidly I might add) about the woke mind virus and while one might acknowledge these guys are stupid, they wield real power and can affect real change on society be it negative or not.

I agree with all this. It's really shocking to me seeing some of the things that are happening because of certain political pundits and grifters. Certain media ppl at FOX News and elsewhere have admitted they don't care about what they say and think their audience is dumb, but because of what they say, bills get passed and people attack schools, children's hospitals, night clubs etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You couldn't make Blazing Saddles then. The Studio demanding all sorts of cuts, Brooks had final say in his contract.
    According to Mel Brooks.

“I actually got notes from the studio head in vivid detail who said, ‘Lose the fart scene, cut out any racial and ethnic jokes, edit scenes where a horse and an old lady get punched,’ and my favourite note: ‘Can you reshoot Black Bart with a white actor?’

“If I had made their changes the film would have been just 14 minutes long! I stupidly threw all their notes in the trash. Imagine the book I could have written on them today.”

Mighty Member

A lot of what you're referring to wasn't exclusively from conservatives.

The criticism of hip-hop in particular came from BOTH Republicans and Democrats. The push to get Cop-Killer off the air was bi-partisan at the time.

Yes, there's always been conservative pushback on stuff but the lines weren't clearly drawn as they are now because the "politics of contrarianism" wasn't entirely a thing then.
    yeah, the Parents Music Resource Center's most famous member was Tipper Gore. pretty much the most famous advocate for censorship in the US between 1985 and Al Gore's first presidential bid.

"political conservativism" and "social conservativism" are different categories.

it's entirely possible for people to be political progressive and be socially and morally "conservative".

Mighty Member

One can only imagine the uproar that "Mrs. Doubtfire" would have caused today.

Imagine the reaction to a guy that dressed up as a woman to get close to his kids...good lord...
    I never really understood the appeal of that film. it's not badly made... I just couldn't get over how the main character is a horrible person. he dresses up as a woman, lies to his ex-wife, and then spitefully antagonizes her new boyfriend, and uses this fake identity to get close to his kids because getting a regular job was just too difficult and soul-destroying for him?

then again, I thought "Dead Poet's Society" was an absurdly dishonest and manipulative film too.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I never really understood the appeal of that film. it's not badly made... I just couldn't get over how the main character is a horrible person. he dresses up as a woman, lies to his ex-wife, and then spitefully antagonizes her new boyfriend, and uses this fake identity to get close to his kids because getting a regular job was just too difficult and soul-destroying for him?

then again, I thought "Dead Poet's Society" was an absurdly dishonest and manipulative film too.
    Yeah, it was at the end of Mrs Doubtfire that the audience got a reality check".

The judge's ruling after he lost his kids was pretty telling because as you said, he did a lot of pretty terrible (but extremely funny) things.