Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men #21 Spoilers and Review Thread

Knowhere. A Dead Celestial's Head. Forge and Monet finish salvaging the head of a dead Celestial before transporting it, to turn a phrase, to their proper space and time.

Arakko. The Astral Plane. Jean is engaged in battle with the "virtually omnipotent" Nightmare—a Fear Lord, Class Three Demon, and veritable cosmic threat. We learn that Nightmare "severed most of the Brood from the hive mind," after which "they reverted to form and rallied around new matriarchs." However, Nightmare claims to "hold no sway over the Brood" and that he only "freed them from the mental jail...mutants trapped them in." Jean recognizes that Nightmare is telling the truth but notes that he is "fighting by proxy via the Brood."

Consequently, she decides to awaken "all the souls [Nightmare] has preyed on" so that they may enact their revenge on him. As Nightmare is overwhelmed by his once victims, Jean issues a final warning: "I try never to kill because I can do so without effort, but if you attack me again, I'll snap every atom in your body apart. You'll only exist in books on magic." Before disappearing, Nightmare issues his own final warning: "You speak of breaking bonds, but I promise you—what is one will be two by the end of your day—and then you'll still have the fall of your kind to witness."

Arrako Proper. Just then, Magik and Broo find Jean, and Broo begs her to allow him to "save the Brood that Nightmare turned against me." Jean assures him, "The X-Men will save as many as we can," before instructing Magik to transport them to the rest of the team.

Deep Space. A Random Ship. Scott, Synch, Iceman, Firestar, and Talon are in the process of transporting the numerous alien refugees they saved from the Brood on Refugee Rock. They bat around ideas for "the closest safe port," with Arakko deemed unsafe before Scott notes, "I wish I'd pushed harder for the Atlantic archipelago of Krakoa to become a safe haven for refugees. Another @$#% decision by the Quiet Council."

Just then, Synch and Laura sense something is off with the refugees before one of them transforms into a Brood. Synch alerts Scott while Talon, Iceman, and Firestar fight the remaining emerging Brood. Scott asserts, "The damn Brood will never be able to do this again. I'll fly us into a star if I have to," before Synch assures him that he can clear the ship and uses Polaris' abilities to do so.

Earlier. War Council: The Brood. Bishop, Cyclops, Magik, and Psylocke convene. Bishop asserts that the Brood don't deserve to exist because "if Broo isn't able to maintain a grip on their hive mind, they'll become an existential threat to all life." He proposes several options, "including specialized hybrids of several mutants who could be the top of the spear in a campaign to end them." He also suggests resurrecting the Scarlet Witch's body, having "a telepath enter [its] vacant mind," and simply wishing, "No more Brood." Cyclops considers these options worth discussing, while Psylocke and Magik oppose them.

[The Krakoan War Council vote was deadlocked at 2-2.]

"Out by Jupiter." The Celestial's Head. Monet is in the process of broadcasting for transport and assistance "on X-Men emergency channels" when Magik suddenly arrives with Jean and Broo in tow. Referring to the Celestial head, Forge admits, "I don't know what Krakoa is going to do with this new real estate—but maybe that will be some more fun for us?" And Magik teleports them all to the ship the X-Men have borrowed.

Deep Space. A Random Ship. Just as Magik and the others arrive, Psylocke broadcasts through the emergency channel, "The Brood are running wild, and if you folks feel like suiting up, Rogue, Polaris, Wolverine, Gambit, and I are working with Captain Marvel...and we could use the calvary." Scott responds, "Let's go kill the Brood once and for all," to which Broo screams, "NO, YOU CAN'T!" Scott pushes back, "I don't think I'll let you tell me what I can do. You told us you controlled the Brood, and you didn't. " He points to half-bodies in space. "Those are just a few of the people who have paid the price. My father's at death's door back in the sick bay." Jean intervenes, "But...he lives. Now, it's true Broo has lost control over some of his kind, but some can be saved, and—" Scott interrupts. "Saved?! For what? I know the value of mercy...but not for the Brood." Jean asks, "So...it's genocide, then?" Scott snaps back, "Don't. Do not equate being hard on the Brood with genocide. The Brood represent an existential threat to all life! And at what point are we complicit if Broo loses control of his pets again?" Jean remains convicted: "Then we'll step in and do what we always do." Scott asks, "And how many more will be dead then? Refresh my memory, how is it you dealt with that fungal parasite, Cordyceps Jones?"

Jean spins Scott around and removes his visor. "Look at me, Scott," she says. "What-what are you doing" he asks. She holds back his optic blasts with her telekinesis and asserts, "I want to see your face. Say what you're thinking, so we can all hear." Scott stares at her and responds, "Yeah. I think wiping out the Brood is a great idea." Jean releases his visor and quips back, "How very human of you. Broo and I will gather the ones he can control and go." Scott and the rest of the team head to help Captain Marvel and the others. Scott tells Broo, "Don't try to stop me from killing the ones separated from your hive mind," and instructs Monet to take Corsair to the Healing Gardens. Forge assures Jean telepathically, "Jean, for the ones that you can save, I just created a safe, empty bit of real estate in orbit around Jupiter." Jean thanks him.

Later, Broo asks, "Is Cyclops right?" Jean responds, "Not always. And not today." Broo adds, "I fear he might be...but I will die trying to prove him wrong. We will have redemption." Jean calls his goal noble and orders him to direct the Brood he can control to a. location along their flight plan. She assures him, "We'll save as many of the ones that answer your call as we can. But steel yourself: The ones that are separated from your hive mind will fall."

Jupiter's Orbit. The Celestial's Head. "And you must hide away with your brood...and become xenophobic. How much do you love your kind? Are you willing to shelter in place for the health and safety of everyone? If so, you'll be safe on Knowhere." Brood responds, "Thank you, Jean. I can never repay you, to which Jean says, finally:

"That may be true...but it doesn't mean you can't pay kindness forward. You spoke about redemption earlier. I...don't know what that means for the Brood. But I hope you will find a way to earn it. It won't be easy, but if I can be at peace with what the Phoenix has done, then there's hope for you too. And, Broo...get some sleep.
    Last edited by Mercury; 04-12-2023 at 06:08 AM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Thoughts: This is the sort of discourse I live for: Is genocide justifiable?

While I agree with both sides and arguments being valid, ultimately—surprise, surprise!—I agree with Jean. First, she doesn't suggest that all the Brood can be saved; she asserts that "some can be saved," i.e., that they could and should entrust Broo with those that remain under his control. Second, the Brood constitutes a species simply trying to survive; that is, they reflexively kill to live. That describes a sizable percentage of the animal kingdom. I can't see myself genociding any species acting on instinct *if* there is a viable option for them to live without hurting others, and in this case, there is (more on that below). And considering how intrinsically empathic Jean is, coupled with her dark past, I certainly can't imagine her ignoring Broo's plea and agreeing to wipe out his species. And, frankly, I can't believe Scott thinks he could propose such a thing to or around her, considering her history, including her decimation of D'Bari and the murder of her entire family, without her pushing back. However, I also understand that he nearly lost his father and, as a leader, is focused on averting the worst-case scenario and doesn't give a fuck. Admittedly, I would probably feel the same way.

As for how Jean's position is tenable, first, she could easily place telepathic safeguards on Broo and the Brood to ensure that they (1) are not manipulated again, (2) resume and remain focused on their previously established mission—i.e., to be "a force for good in the universe" by targeting galactic slavers and criminals—and (3) are taken down in an instant if they ever veer away from that mission again. If she can take down a Class Three Demon and Fear Lord, she can do the aforementioned with ease. Second, Forge could also assist by creating a device with which to implant and keep track of the Brood, similar to the microchips and tracking devices researchers use to monitor certain species in the wild. With his technological affinity and aptitude, this should be easy for him to do. Lastly, Jean can fast-track the resurrection of humans killed by the Brood via the Phoenix Foundation, while Krakoa and the Five can resurrect the rest. Ultimately, her proposition to save those Brood that "can be saved" is valid and measured. She gave Broo and his kind a second chance, much like she has repeatedly been given, and although her decision may come to bite her in the ass, it also speaks to both her empathy and prudence.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Extraordinary Member

I will have to wait to get my hands on the book to appreciate any story that may have managed to find its way in there, but this 'controversy' is as dumb as Schism or AvX. Characters just randomly taking extreme positions on things and the writer handwaving away any facts that get in the way. While I do not think 'genocide' is the solution (more that I do not even think it is, could be or should be even possible so how can it be considered) the fact is characters kill the Brood all the time. That is just comic books. The solution being to 'control' them and have them kill and eat other sentient beings because they are deemed not worth living is just contradictory.

Can we expect to see first divorce in krakoa age? ��

Honestly I liked their argument. It showed they’re different and won’t change their minds so easily just because your partner thinks differently. Them being co-leaders and agreeing with each other on everything was dull so it’s a bit of fresh air. I’ll be actually surprised if they broke up because it wasn’t that serious “drama”. And when jean compared him to humans? Scott knew he fucked up. Also jean knows broo has been using brood for good and Scott doesn’t know about it. Wonder if Duggan will bring their “fight” up in next issues

But it’s interesting that jean is going to work with bishop and cyclops in first strike so with men who wanted to commit a genocide.

Although I don’t know why cyclops mentioned gameworld. Jean and girls didn’t try to commit a genocide there.

Btw anyone has any ideas what nightmare meant by “you speak of breaking bonds. “ what is one will be two” “and then you’ll still have have the fall of your kind to witness”. Is it a hint of fall of x?

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I will have to wait to get my hands on the book to appreciate any story that may have managed to find its way in there, but this 'controversy' is as dumb as Schism or AvX. Characters just randomly taking extreme positions on things and the writer handwaving away any facts that get in the way. While I do not think 'genocide' is the solution (more that I do not even think it is, could be or should be even possible so how can it be considered) the fact is characters kill the Brood all the time. That is just comic books. The solution being to 'control' them and have them kill and eat other sentient beings because they are deemed not worth living is just contradictory.
    Controversy aside, some of the characters didn't seem like their normal selves. Cyclops seemed overly emotional this entire arc. It seems odd how this occurrence with the Brood suddenly made him blood thirsty. This was really the final straw? Also, why did they have to throw Bishop under the bus like that? That being said, that data page really highlighted the current negligence towards Beast. It seemed a bit too meta.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Cyclops is right.

The solution being to 'control' them and have them kill and eat other sentient beings because they are deemed not worth living is just contradictory.
    This is such a damn good point. I feel totally hypocritical.

Incidentally, I have a question: Can the Brood survive by "shelter[ing] in place," as Jean suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Controversy aside, some of the characters didn't seem like their normal selves. Cyclops seemed overly emotional this entire arc. It seems odd how this occurrence with the Brood suddenly made him blood thirsty. This was really the final straw? Also, why did they have to throw Bishop under the bus like that?
    I think the final straw may have been seeing his father infected and on death's door.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

Incidentally, I have a question: Can the Brood survive by "shelter[ing] in place," as Jean suggested?
    They'll need new hosts eventually. Someone will have to die for the Brood to live.

I think the final straw may have been seeing his father infected and on death's door.
    He's been through worst situations and typically acts more rational and reserved.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

They'll need new hosts eventually. Someone will have to die for the Brood to live.
    True. I assume that was her way of implicitly telling Broo that either they would have to die off by natural means or wait until she and others come up with a longterm solution.

He's been through worst situations and typically acts more rational and reserved.
    Also true, but you certainly know him better than I do. I've seen some folks on Twitter claim that he's simply reverting to his old ways. What do you think of that?

Extraordinary Member

The Brood were created to be monsters and serve that purpose in the fiction. I suppose they can manage to survive for however long any writer sees fit to ignore them. As long as there is an endless swarm of alien fodder for other writers to use for their stories then Broo and his ilk can be left in peace and succeed. Until some writer decides otherwise.

And that's the part that makes the debate so interesting. The Brood need to feed so Broo was trying to find "bad people" for them to feed on. But is it Broo's place to decide who dies? I like that he was using them for heroic acts but I dunno about killing people willy nilly. I guess they could create clones for the Brood to consume but that's super icky too.

I think Duggan did a good job of displaying the weight of what happened to the aliens on the ship. The X-Men worked hard to rescue as many as they could and Synch was in tears and fell to one knee having to kill the Brood they became. It was absolutely heart-wrenching. Having to witness that after almost losing his father, I don't blame Cyclops for his stance and it seemed like most of the X-Men supported him as they went with him.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Jean not only looks great, but we see her Power and Compassion.

This feels like the intelligent, strong and determined Jean I know.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

I think Cyclops and Jean are BOTH Right.

-Yes, I agree the Brood should have been Destroyed YEARS AGO and i thought they were. But, unfortunately since we have Broo I don't think it's fait to eradicate his species when this whole thing was NOT his fault.

-There was no way Broo or the X-Men could have known that one of the most Powerful Fear Lords Nightmare would be Petty for Jean Grey Embarrassing him.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

I really don't think it is at all (but you didn't read the book so not sure it's worth arguing with you). Both characters' positions were reasonable, and made sense for who they are as characters. The Brood are a hive mind controlled by queens, so someone is always controlling them -- this is giving Broo a chance to see if he can put them on a better path w/ that control. We can see how that was working pre-Nightmare even earlier in this arc, and Jean gives them a safe spot and reasonable rules to figure it out. But Scott's position makes sense too.