Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This was SOOOOOOOOOOO damn good. 10/10. it would have been 11 but the scene where they mention Hppe's blood and then Sinister saying his prized helix, i may have read too literal cause i was like is storm dna the prized helix or are they still talking about the drop of hope blood which i guess would have dna in it too. So in that sense i actually kind of saw this storm as an abomination and kind of feel like OG storm would as well, but for me that added to it, this was a pale imitation of Storm and she was able to do that, so it will be interesting to see Storm push even further in upcoming issues of Red.

Though later it did say he was saving the dna for a rainy day or if he needed rain, it still took me out and i hope if it meant ororo's blood, the first thing she does is get that vial from sinister when time resets.

I felt it when Khora went down. From telling an ally to "hold on", to simply saying "Goodbye John" This Storm did her thing and i loved how experience was brought up and how raw power is nothing alone, sometimes it's more powerful to hold back. Another weak point which i was able to go eh to is Storm's body adjusts to the conditions she creates so i would think her body would have automatically adjusted to shield itself from the radiation if it's instincts must have known what she was doing produce radiation which would kill her. But this isn't storm and i get that point needed to be stressed and made clear so i didn't really take off any points. lol The point of experienced vs raw power.

I can't say i was too torn up about this Storm being killed as she did go out like a boss but i wasn't expecting the last line to almost bring me to tears with that "I am not afraid of a life that..." we know ends is next word and that was the moment i was like khora's fire allowed the spirit of Storm to touch this woman's forehead and blow away the opposition in ororo's name. In that moment, we saw even an Avatar of ororo, truly is OF Arrako. Come the F(#( on X-men Red!! Let's GO!

And on a side i thought the one panel of Old Oda was absolutely heart touching and prepares for what may be coming up with the Genesis War. I mean this group of mutants being of Arrako most likely from earth to now, possibly, and their entire culture rejects resurrection or helping but what we saw here was by rejecting that they are rejecting themselves and dulling their "Weapons" because they can't or don't explore everything it could potentially do, which in of itself would bring them strength. So seeing that pride from Oda was great.

But yes, i am also glad this Storm is dead because who knows what sinister did with that vile as well. lol

Oh and i had no problem with Korra helping AvatarStorm because she didn't have the experience so yeah let's gas this s#(# up so we can win. It just seemed like a no brainer.
    Also at one point and i don't know if this will come into play but i sat in awe at the idea that Storm has created not one, not two, but three potential stars a pyramid of light across the universe.
    The first being the galactic core which was across space, the 2nd would be the worm hole which opened up in the sol system and the third would be her avatar but if her image is seen across the galaxy in that backdrop of the red star. and then mars being the red planet too. i mean woo. So much potential. Love this book.

And she did it year early in the x-men, year 100, and year 1000. A single event repeated in essence across time and space literally. you don't have to make my girl a dominion i already know she is. lol
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-12-2023 at 01:57 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

This series feels the least significant of the three SOS books but I still found it enjoyable. This event has been way better than AXE, which I couldnt even finish. It's contradictory for me, but the greatest strength of SOS is also its weakness. I like that the event is fairly short and contained, but damn, with all the extreme passages of time, you wish there were more issues to flesh out all that's happened in the interim. There's so much neat stuff here that we don't get to delve into.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    This series feels the least significant of the three SOS books but I still found it enjoyable. This event has been way better than AXE, which I couldnt even finish. It's contradictory for me, but the greatest strength of SOS is also its weakness. I like that the event is fairly short and contained, but damn, with all the extreme passages of time, you wish there were more issues to flesh out all that's happened in the interim. There's so much neat stuff here that we don't get to delve into.
    Ewing is so good at maintaining his voice honestly the whole event thing tends to melt away for me because red feels like red and him and caselli added to that remaining a team through those events but here it worked because of what they created and the voice and world being so strong. I have read the rest of the event (i subscribed to all the issues in the event. so i mean all as in what has been released not seeing the future. lol) but like during judgement day all that falls away when i'm reading these issues. It's that strong.

But i do agree overall this event is FAR better than whatever judgement day was. I didn't read 90% of that.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-12-2023 at 02:12 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

You were just able to put into words EXACTLY what I’ve been feeling. I truly go back and forth between, “shoot this event is kind of long,” to ,”damn I wish we had more pages/ issues to explore this world.” I will say these 3 months of SoS have gone by far faster then I thought they would, which is a testament to the writers of even if I didn’t love every issue or even the general premise (this is a f%!k Nathaniel Essex account) of this AU.

Ultimately I think a fourth title should have been part of SoS. That way the event would have been weekly AND we’d have more time in each era. Maybe Duggan could have written to keep Stasis in the event and maybe show a small human/ mutant alliance of uninfected form as a thematic prelude to his Uncanny Avengers. Idk just thoughts.

This trilogy is more like a big preview of red. Iron Fire, Magic Storm, and Genesis Wars are the main stories that follow.
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.

Quote Originally Posted by StormBorn06 View Post
    This trilogy is more like a big preview of red. Iron Fire, Magic Storm, and Genesis Wars are the main stories that follow.
    Yeah Ewing was definitely planting a lot of seeds here.

And I agree with Saturius and Kingdom X in that this event felt long and short at the same time. I'm really looking forward to its conclusion, both to see how it all ends and also to get back to the main timeline.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Oh good, more Storm worship.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yeah Ewing was definitely planting a lot of seeds here.

And I agree with Saturius and Kingdom X in that this event felt long and short at the same time. I'm really looking forward to its conclusion, both to see how it all ends and also to get back to the main timeline.
    Yeah, I wait for it to blossom.
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    @Gee

But...but...we knew ALL of that going in at the start.

Sometimes you just have to see and enjoy it for what it is....not what you expected it to be. Goddess alone knows I hate we have to take this three months to glorify Sinister and his Shit and I'm not following anything in IXM and N but that doesn't mean I don't/can't enjoy what little SatB moments I can separate from everything else.
    Yeah, that's a fair point.

That's of course one of the weaknesses when trying to repeat the X1,2,3 pattern of HOX/POX which was a different beast of a story and had a different purpose than this one.

Especially since we don't even know if Moira experienced the 1000 years passing in Life 6/X2 consciously or if she and Logan had simply remained in cryo stasis somewhere and only woke up in the later years of that timeline, before ending up in the "excibit" of the Librarian. The fact that he had to give them an info dumb on how the mutants were beaten by the Post Humans and that he was also shown trying to get Cylobel's "digital soul", might actualy hint at that.

Likewise in Life 9 we saw that she did infact spend an unknown of time in a cryo pod until Logan woke her up and gave her a crystal with collected memories (which still feels like a clue that something got manipulated to me), raising the question how long she was not involved in the 100 years that passed in that timeline?

This coda’s purple prose + driveby concept drops made this read more chore than joy.

Should have made last issue’s ending this issue’s series end by padding out the journey in between.

But credit where it’s due: “Hot Claws” was stroke of genius. I groaned but then was like, I’ll allow it.
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 04-12-2023 at 06:22 PM.

I enjoyed this as i have the other previous one during this lackluster event, but we are now coming to the endgame and time to see what happens once the reset happens.

Loved this issue. Ewing’s approach to this issue was great. Lodus’s poetic storytelling of the battle of the Storm System was a pleasing classical x-story telling approach. Storm had some creative and epic power displays, which I thoroughly LOVED. And I really liked where he took this part of the event in terms of them dying like the warriors they are. Storm was born for battle, as are the Arakki and that felt true throughout the story.

King Jon seems to have held the survivors of the comsic war together and I am really becoming a super fan. Khora and the Storm System 5 were very interesting. I am wondering if we will see them in Red at some point. They represent the tenacity of the Arakki. They all went out like warriors. Khora could’ve been the last one standing but I like the way Ewing had her give all of her fire to Storm to restore her soul (or at least part of it) so Ororo was at her strongest if not her most experienced self to ensure the Red Diamond fell.

I loved red diamond empress Emma. If she guest starred in Red I wouldn’t mind seeing Ewing continuing to write her. She was delicious & I like her giant super sentinel Mistress Mold/Master Mold. Ewing knows how to touch on canon in such creative and engaging ways. And she was crafty with how she created her army. All of the intel, raw power, close quarters combat, & her being virtually indestructible. Having those electrons ripped from her MM she’s and Storm literally created a sun blewy mind. It was always a wuestion from the fandom and I appreciate Ewing answering it a la McDuffie style. They both went out like boss b$&@#es!

Ewing has been so creative with Storm and staying true to her development under his pen and to this new aspect of the X-mythos with the principles of the Arakki living on 1000 years later. The original Storm remained dead but her clone could still wield her power and we got to see what that looked like uninhibited, along w/ foucheson SWORD and Red. I could imagine what she could’ve done to Vulcan if she made it about her ego vs her focus on helping the Arakki see the value in changing parts of their culture by working together (though my inner super fan still wants to see her flex on her own). Her time was short but it guaranteed the victory over the red diamond. Now only 2 Sinisters remain to claim the dominion.

As much as I an eagerly anticipating a beatdown of epic proportions for Sinister (that will be disappointing if he doesn’t get stomped and restomped by the end of this) I have to respect the man’s cunning and calculated tactics. You can’t let your guard down for a second, which proved Jon’s undoing and left him as the player best positioned to get his clones and trigger the reset back to a save point before he corrupted the resurrection process to present day.

9.5/10 for me. The art good but definitely not as good as the previous issues.

This issue was… good. While I usually find Gillen preferable to Ewing, as was the case with the 10x and 100x stories, the reverse reverse was true for these 1000x stories. Agree that the art for these 1000x stories has been the worst of the three eras. Overall, this SOS storyline has had some highlights, but has generally been just okay.

I’m not one to demand “importance” out of every arc, but I’m just not “feeling” the overall storyline. As others have suggested, if seeds are being planted that will be followed up on, then I’ll be much happier overall. And I do expect that to happen.

But with two issues left, it seems pretty clear how this one’s going to end. Hopefully I’ll be surprised by just exactly how we get back to the present. I certainly know that Gillen is capable of this.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

I find really interesting how much polarizing this crossover seems amongst readers here, even issue by issue. Some people love or hate the crossover, some people only love certains issues, and not the same ones, some people praise the art or criticize it vehemently (especially the last trilogy)... It bodes well for the discussions for the Gala and Fall of X.

Astonishing Member

Honestly if I had to rank each of these issues it would be #2, #3, and #1 respectively. Me being a Star wars fan boy I think Ewing knocked it out of the park with issue number two. That being said, each and every single one of these issues has been fantastic and really showcased why Storm is one of the premier X-Men.

I can't wait for her to meet Genesis head on. And considering Ewing's comments about storms, goddess hood, i can't wait for him to revisit that aspect in later issues.