Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Default Mark Waid, Superman: The Last Days of Lex Luthor

Waid’s BL book announced.

B40FB6DD-35DA-423C-B2C9-AC94D229C52A.jpg

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/04/12/dc...perman-titans/

https://www.cbr.com/mark-waid-superm...ans-interview/

In the three-issue DC Black Label series Superman: The Last Days of Lex Luthor, Superman learns Lex Luthor is dying—and wants the Man of Steel to help him find the cure for whatever is causing his rapid decline. While the world wants to say good riddance to Luthor, Superman will go to the ends of the universe, through different dimensions, and across time to save his foe. But just why does he want to save the person who’s spent his life trying to destroy him? And will he even be able to find the solution?
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 04-12-2023 at 09:36 AM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Finally announced. Must confess my initial reaction is disappointment that it’s yet another Superman and Lex Luthor story since Waid already did that with Birthright. Still I’m looking forward to reading this, since the main Superman books seem intent on revamping the villains, having Waid and Priest do minis that are more focused on character work with Clark is welcome.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

So this is how the whole "This book will be about how Superman's no-kill rule is still relevant to modern times" is manifesting? Well, that's a lot more bearable than I'd have expected. It's not a pitch that particularly excites me, but Waid and Hitch together with time to prepare ought to be good.

It also hits me that they're inverting the archetypal "Death of Superman" story for a "Death of Lex Luthor" story.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

This sounds cool: “Together, Superman and Lex are racing the clock in search of a cure as they travel the breadth of the super-universe, from Atlantis to Kandor to the Phantom Zone, all spectacularly reimagined by Bryan Hitch.”

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Well, it's another Superman project at least from two creators who love the character

Oh, and KEVIN NOWLAN. Well fine then, take my money
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Looking at those green particles in Lex's body.. could he have kryptonite poisoning? Would be a good call back to the Post-Crisis days when kryptonite gave him cancer.

Always Rakzo

Oh God, I just can't help but remember how Waid wrote Lex as both goofy and pathetic in Birthright.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    This sounds cool: “Together, Superman and Lex are racing the clock in search of a cure as they travel the breadth of the super-universe, from Atlantis to Kandor to the Phantom Zone, all spectacularly reimagined by Bryan Hitch.”
    Optimistically their take on the PZ will be something very different from what we usually see. I’m bored with it just being an empty void. But if any other villains are going to show up, a trip to the PZ likely means Zod might appear.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Optimistically their take on the PZ will be something very different from what we usually see. I’m bored with it just being an empty void. But if any other villains are going to show up, a trip to the PZ likely means Zod might appear.
    I expect Zod and some forgotten Silver-age zoners to appear.

Cautiously optimistic about this. Wasn't Waid a big critic of Man of Steel or at least the killing of Zod? I'm hoping this isn't a overwrought response to that... Preachy Waid ala Champions has not been great. But I'll check it out cause Birthright remains a favorite, and he at least confirmed it's set in the Birthright continuity. Was hoping for a little more expansion of Birthright world than going back to Lex, particularly a partnership type story. The debt Superman owes Lex has to be his getting to speak to his parents as Krypton exploded.

Also looks like the preview art is in the magazine size format for Black Label, which will be a great showcase for Hitch.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Aren't we already doing the "Superman travels to the ends of the universe" story in Lost? It would be nice to get some new ideas with him. The King story was the same way.
    Assassinate Putin!

So basically All Star Superman but instead of Superman dying, it's Lex?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I expect Zod and some forgotten Silver-age zoners to appear.
    Ursa, Non, and Jax-Ur are likely, but it would be nice to see Waid use Morrison’s revamp of Xa-Du as well. Maybe even Aethyr will appear since he comes from Pre-Crisis which would appeal to Waid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Cautiously optimistic about this. Wasn't Waid a big critic of Man of Steel or at least the killing of Zod? I'm hoping this isn't a overwrought response to that... Preachy Waid ala Champions has not been great. But I'll check it out cause Birthright remains a favorite, and he at least confirmed it's set in the Birthright continuity. Was hoping for a little more expansion of Birthright world than going back to Lex, particularly a partnership type story. The debt Superman owes Lex has to be his getting to speak to his parents as Krypton exploded.

Also looks like the preview art is in the magazine size format for Black Label, which will be a great showcase for Hitch.
    This book is going to touch on Superman’s no killing rule, according to some interviews Waid gave a while back, and if they’re taking a trip to the Phantom Zone where Zod is likely to show up… I guarantee you at least part of this book will be Waid telling the Snyder fandom to f off and stop using Birthright to defend Zack Snyder
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Aren't we already doing the "Superman travels to the ends of the universe" story in Lost? It would be nice to get some new ideas with him. The King story was the same way.
    Difference seems to be that Lost is taking Superman to places he’s never been before, while this is Waid and Hitch going on a tour of all the classic Superman locales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So basically All Star Superman but instead of Superman dying, it's Lex?
    Other than the most basic premise of “one of the two is dying” I don’t think they’ll be similar at all. Highly doubt Waid is going to kill off Birthright Lex in the second book, especially since I think he wants to keep the Birthrightverse as his private fiefdom where he can write *his* Superman the way he wants to for as long as DC will let him.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 04-12-2023 at 12:32 PM.

Seems like all of these miniseries are centered around a journey across space.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Other than the most basic premise of “one of the two is dying” I don’t think they’ll be similar at all. Highly doubt Waid is going to kill off Birthright Lex in the second book, especially since I think he wants to keep the Birthrightverse as his private fiefdom where he can write *his* Superman the way he wants to for as long as DC will let him.
    I meant in the sense that it's centered around a character death but using that as a story vehicle to basically show off Superman and his mythos.