Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon11 View Post
    Waid writing the mariage in his own Superman timeline?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not likely, it’s just a variant showing “classic” Superman.
    That ain't exactly classic Superman with that conspicuous ring on there.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    That ain't exactly classic Superman with that conspicuous ring on there.
    I think we may soon be getting to a point where the marriage is considered "classic"...

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think we may soon be getting to a point where the marriage is considered "classic"...
    Yep. They've been married since 1996...aside from the short lived NU52.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Yep. They've been married since 1996...aside from the short lived NU52.
    Yeah.

Plus adaptations have started featuring it heavily too. S&L, the most high-profile Superman adaptation right now is centered around their marriage (and their kids). The DCEU didn't actually show them married, but it showed them as a couple living together who were about to get married (both version of JL end with them engaged). The Legion of Super-Pets movie has them engaged. The Super-Sons animated movie of course had them married.

Going further back in time of course you had Lois & Clark. So we've actually had a whole generation of media, in comics and adaptations, with the marriage.

When a concept or plot-point has been around in the source material for a long time, and starts to show up in most adaptations, that's when you know it's on its way to becoming a "classic". The same has happened with Dick Grayson as Nightwing.

Perhaps, but I'm far less sure than some are. Personally, the marriage will never be "classic" for me as far my taste, my life experience with Superman. But outside of me?..who knows. I think as long as the Donner or Reeves films (in combination with the early important first 58 years of comics, other non-marriage media, Fleischer, etc) remain a big or the biggest force in Superman culture the marriage will not be "classic."
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-11-2023 at 07:23 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Perhaps, but I'm far less sure than some are. Personally, the marriage will never be "classic" for me as far my taste, my life experience with Superman. But outside of me?..who knows. I think as long as the Donner or Reeves films (in combination with the early important first 58 years of comics, other non-marriage media, Fleischer, etc) remain a big or the biggest force in Superman culture the marriage will not be "classic."
    Are the Donner films still the biggest force in Superman culture?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    I said just "big" as well. Is it the biggest? I don't know exactly. Could be, could not be. I will say this, the biggest Superman fans aren't necessarily the best judges of what is the biggest cultural tentpole for Superman though.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-11-2023 at 08:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

Possibly they still are the single biggest source. But probably not the only one.

The funny thing is that a lot of adaptations use the Donner films as a touchpoint while incorporating other stuff and/or going in their own direction - and that includes the marriage and, increasingly, a kid (or kids).

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

In my experience, a lot of the older millennial (and guys like John Byrne) Superman fans basically worship the movie. Just look at r/Superman for instance. I will say the 2013 costume has found it's into some pop culture relevance. Remember that parade where all those guys marched to celebrate John coming out as bi-sexual? A lot of them wore the 2013 outfit.

Yeah.

Plus adaptations have started featuring it heavily too. S&L, the most high-profile Superman adaptation right now is centered around their marriage (and their kids). The DCEU didn't actually show them married, but it showed them as a couple living together who were about to get married (both version of JL end with them engaged). The Legion of Super-Pets movie has them engaged. The Super-Sons animated movie of course had them married.

Going further back in time of course you had Lois & Clark. So we've actually had a whole generation of media, in comics and adaptations, with the marriage.

When a concept or plot-point has been around in the source material for a long time, and starts to show up in most adaptations, that's when you know it's on its way to becoming a "classic". The same has happened with Dick Grayson as Nightwing.
    The others don't count aside from Superman & Lois. Being engaged and married are two different things. It's better to claim we've had a whole generation with Superman and Lois Lane as a couple. Even then, how many people actually know they're married in the comics or in general? I think the vast majority of people probably still see Clark as some single guy, or at the very least, they know his love interest is Lois Lane.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 05-22-2023 at 08:18 PM.

No issue for August it seems. Too much to hope this would come out monthly I guess, but bimonthly isn’t too bad a wait.
    In order I’d say the top three biggest influences are:

1. The Donner Films
    2. The DCAU
    3. Injustice Games & Comics
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    In my experience, a lot of the older millennial (and guys like John Byrne) Superman fans basically worship the movie. Just look at r/Superman for instance. I will say the 2013 costume has found it's into some pop culture relevance. Remember that parade where all those guys marched to celebrate John coming out as bi-sexual? A lot of them wore the 2013 outfit.

The others don't count aside from Superman & Lois. Being engaged and married are two different things. It's better to claim we've had a whole generation with Superman and Lois Lane as a couple. Even then, how many people actually know they're married in the comics or in general? I think the vast majority of people probably still see Clark as some single guy, or at the very least, they know his love interest is Lois Lane.
    Lois and Clark have gotten married in Lois & Clark: TNAOS and Smallville. Superman and Lois starts out with them already married. Supergirl doesn't star Superman, but it also had Lois and Clark married. That's 4 different adaptations over 27 years. I think it's safe to say their marriage has made its mark on pop culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No issue for August it seems. Too much to hope this would come out monthly I guess, but bimonthly isn’t too bad a wait.

In order I’d say the top three biggest influences are:

1. The Donner Films
    2. The DCAU
    3. Injustice Games & Comics
    No Smallville? I think it belongs somewhere in there as it was the longest-running CB show.

No Smallville? I think it belongs somewhere in there as it was the longest-running CB show.
    Hm you’re right it probably does. I’m just unsure if it had a lot of effect on how people view “Superman” since it was mainly about Clark becoming Superman. It did help change the perception of Lex from someone who is older than Clark back to being around Clark’s age. And I think it did affect Waid in particular, at least with how he approached Birthright.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-23-2023 at 03:27 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Lois and Clark have gotten married in Lois & Clark: TNAOS and Smallville. Superman and Lois starts out with them already married. Supergirl doesn't star Superman, but it also had Lois and Clark married. That's 4 different adaptations over 27 years. I think it's safe to say their marriage has made its mark on pop culture.
    How many people remember Lois and Clark? Clark and Lois being married Smallville happened at the series finale, according to the YouTube thumbnails. The marriage hadn't made its mark on pop culture, yet. Matter of fact, it's been almost thirty years (I'm really getting up there), and only the CW is the only major series that actually has a married Superman and Lois Lane, then with kids at that.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 05-24-2023 at 06:06 PM.

There is a question on how much of an impact these CW shows had in general. Something like Smallville was popular when it was going, but now I don't feel like anyone really talks about it anymore. For comparison DCAU also ended, but people still talk about it a lot.