Default Did the 1980s Satanic Panic make it into comic books?

I'm just curious as to if the 1980s Satantic Panic made it into comic books in the 1980s. A lot of cultural or topical things of entertainment or news do end up in comics, so I wondered about that one.

It was actually wondering about Raven's mom and her cult that made me think of topical things that made me think about it. I don't think the Church of Blood qualifies, as it seems more standard comic-y to me. I was thinking more recovered memories, preschools, D&D, and the disguise of being ordinary.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 04-12-2023 at 03:28 PM.

Hell, I don't remember this, and I was alive back then.
    (Didn't live in the California area.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hell, I don't remember this, and I was alive back then.
    (Didn't live in the California area.)
    I was alive, but not old enough to know anything about it. As I understand, Geraldo, Oprah, etc. all covered it. There was Tom Hanks tv movie with D&D ripoff. I'm certainly not saying the majority of people believed it, but from having read about it, it does seem like something that was in the media a good bit. Then again, I once watched 1980s interview with someone who didn't like He-Man and thought it spreading anti-Christian messages because God was the only "Master of the Universe." Gotta fill that air-time somehow, I guess.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I was alive, but not old enough to know anything about it. As I understand, Geraldo, Oprah, etc. all covered it. There was Tom Hanks tv movie with D&D ripoff. I'm certainly not saying the majority of people believed it, but from having read about it, it does seem like something that was in the media a good bit. Then again, I once watched 1980s interview with someone who didn't like He-Man and thought it spreading anti-Christian messages because God was the only "Master of the Universe." Gotta fill that air-time somehow, I guess.
    I thought that this was more of a 1970s thing, with the whole "Alice Cooper" flack. I do recall Tipper Gore, ex-wife of former VP Al Gore, was into the Parental Guidance Label crusade in the 1980s, which backfired big time, thanks to Dee Snyder epic US Congress speech. The only controversy I can recall involving comics in the 1980s was Alan Moore's Swamp Thing issue, which was supposed to have Swamp Thing as a Cross during Jesus Christ's crucifixion, but, that's about it.

I seem to recall the Christian singer Amy Grant suing Marvel over using her likeness for a cover of "Dr Strange" (Butch Guice used to use a lot of photo references) because she was concerned she'd be associated with the occult.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I was alive, but not old enough to know anything about it. As I understand, Geraldo, Oprah, etc. all covered it. There was Tom Hanks tv movie with D&D ripoff. I'm certainly not saying the majority of people believed it, but from having read about it, it does seem like something that was in the media a good bit.
    I remember there were things like people concerned about D&D and demon/satanic influences, but that stuff always seemed more like a regional issue (usually in the "Bible belt") and not an overall "Satanic Panic" that was a nation-wide issue or anything.

The Satanic Panic got some hype due to it being a favorite of the talk show circuit and I remember an episode of Unsolved Mysteries imply a couple was killed due to D&D vs them having an affair. But yeah, it was highly regional outside of the talk shows and occasional news story.

But it did fall into the larger 80's issue which encompassed Satanic Panic, the "Epidemic of Child Abuse", Trying to Police the Entertainment Industry Films, TV, Games, and Music, the War on Drugs, & even the AIDS Crisis and the fight against LGBT Rights at the time which was

I was in middle school when the Satanic Panic stuff was first popping up in media in the U.S. I remember even shows like Trapper John M.D. did a Satanic episode. As a kid being raised Catholic it all scared the crap out of me. Back then I definitely felt like Raven's origin and the original Brother Blood storyline where part of that trend. I can't really think of other comics back then that did stories that were similar. Maybe some of the Night Force stories? I've only recently bought the digital Night Force collection so I'm not sure on that one.

I'm not sure...
    Aside from paranoid parents with overactive imaginations watching the morning talk shows and churches that might've latched onto it, I don't think it made it that far into the general public.

There was a supernatural/occult movement in horror films that was popular in the '70s, with stuff like Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, The Amityville Horror, The Omen, Salem's Lot, among others. The Made-for-TV movies at the time also perpetuated it.
    However, slasher films took over in the '80s and supernatural horror became a niche genre.
    But that movement did make it into the comics before it ended, especially at Marvel. This was when Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Tomb of Dracula, Blade, Werewolf by Night and Son of Satan first appeared.
    Dr.Strange became more popular, and both the Defenders and Spider-Woman faced more supernatural threats in the '70s.

I do remember my chemistry teacher once referencing the Defenders comic as satanic because it featured Daimon Hellstrom. It was an interesting as one of my first experiences of someone I highly respected having a strong opinion I didn't share.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I seem to recall the Christian singer Amy Grant suing Marvel over using her likeness for a cover of "Dr Strange" (Butch Guice used to use a lot of photo references) because she was concerned she'd be associated with the occult.
    Well, and they used her image without permission.

I would say the American Gothic saga is much inspired in it. The whole paranoia trip of Constantine and Swampy through the country and the aftemath of teachers being accused of crimes can be also seen in the book. Ironically Moore used it to make a lot of criticism to the USA culture on it.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin