Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    Only reason I don't expect that to happen is they seem to be building up Superhero MJ.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I heard superhero MJ is not a long-term plan it is more a means to an end for this specific story arc. So, more contrived bad writing. But we'll see....
    end of spoilers
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    No guarantee these are 100%, 50% or even 25% correct. So take it with an ocean worth of salt. Still… figure I’ll put in a spoiler tag just to be safe.

I heard spoilers:
    Mary Jane sacrifices herself to save Paul and the kids (NOT Peter), but then the cruel irony is the “kids” were artificial constructs and “Paul” is an agent or some sort of vessel of Rabin. Peter and Norman team up to take down Paul, and Paul somehow transfers Norman’s sins back to him through Rabin’s … magic? Didn’t really understand that last part. Time is also malleable so the past and present start occurring simultaneously.
    end of spoilers
    This is the one I buy.

Sounds asinine enough to be a Wells story. And explains the contrived weirdness of Norman giving Peter free rein over Oscorp spoilers:
    since the writers knew Norman would be breaking bad. Paul uses totem magic - he’s already been shown using an octopus gun which, gee, using octopus imagery in a Spider-Man book doesn’t make one seem suspicious at all LOL - so I can see Paul using some sort of goblin totem symbol to fight Norman that triggers his Green Goblin persona again.
    end of spoilers

Also…

spoilers:
    if time is malleable and past and present are merging, MJ won’t be really “dead” just lost in the timestream - ala the 90s animated series, sorta LOL - and can come back in time for the Hellfire Gala. In fact, the MJ that comes back could be the MJ who thought she was about to move in with Peter, and all she has left of the alt-Mayan world MJ is the jackpot watch. Assuming the cover isn’t a lie.
    end of spoilers

But probably this isn’t what will happen, because I’m pretty sure I spent more time coming up with this scenario than anyone working on the book has spent on the actual plot.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 04-19-2023 at 09:53 PM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    spoilers:
    I heard superhero MJ is not a long-term plan it is more a means to an end for this specific story arc. So, more contrived bad writing. But we'll see....
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Maybe, Wells just seemed to talk about it as something more significant. She doesn't even have a codename or costume (assuming that's a thing she even wants) or a desire to do more hero stuff.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

So, regarding a character, who's going to die, Norman is confirmed to appear in Spider-Man #10 in July, so he definitely lives.

If ol' Zeb was laughably warned not to go to any conventions because fans might go Annie Wilkes on him, there's only one option.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    If ol' Zeb was laughably warned not to go to any conventions because fans might go Annie Wilkes on him, there's only one option.
    Someone else said the new ASM solicitations suggest Peter may team-up with Mary Jane as heroes since she's keeping her powers. Could be wrong, but if she's keeping the powers then she isn't going to die.

Astonishing Member

And also MJ seemingly confirmed for Gala.
    Well, if it's not some bait, then, it's obviously Paul. Don't know about kids, though.

Incredible Member

Frankly, yet another terrible issue from Wells.

What happens with the villain is clearly supposed to payoff later, but it hits with all the force of a kleenex. There is not any suspense to what is happening. It is like they ran out of pages to have a battle sequence, so they instead just skipped immediately to the end.

The ending is supposed to be a cliffhanger/shocking, but since the reader already knows this, it doesn't work as a cliffhanger.
    I am not impatiently waiting for the next issue to see the resolution to this cliffhanger, since I already know what subsequently happens. If Wells had never shown any kids in the prior issues, and instead just had Mary/Paul in a relationship and having conversations where there are clues that there are potentially kids, then this cliffhanger would have worked.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    At E2C2: "Wells said that Spidey Office Editor Nick Lowe suggested that he maybe not do conventions for a few months"

For a few months. Not for the foreseeable future, unlike Gerry Conway who still has to deal with people mad about Gwen.

So I'm betting anything MJ is going to "die" so Marvel can laugh and point at all the sad little fans who fell for their "outrage" troll (I'm surprised they haven't commissioned an "outrage!" variant cover from Frank Cho), and then they will bring her back after they've made their money off comic book store orders for the "shocking" death issues, leaving the LCS owners stuck with unsellable back issues. Maybe the X-Men resurrect her before/at the Hellfire Gala, maybe there are timey-wimey issues, maybe totem magic, maybe MJ's watch whisks her someplace else and people only think she is dead, who knows. Probably we'll just find out via a recap paragraph that she's still alive.

Still want to point out how...utterly gross...it is to market a story with, "Hey, maybe we're going to murder one of our longest-running and most popular female characters - to celebrate the anniversary of the murder of another popular female character! Woo Hoo! Yay for us!!!!"
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 04-20-2023 at 10:19 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Someone else said the new ASM solicitations suggest Peter may team-up with Mary Jane as heroes since she's keeping her powers. Could be wrong, but if she's keeping the powers then she isn't going to die.
    And Wells talked about her hero origin story, so unless that's a misdirect I feel like they have more plans with her than killing her off.

Then again, it would totally be Marvel to say they have plans for her and then go..."lol, nope!"

While we're on the topic of MJ and her powers, I just want to say how much I hate it. I hate giving supporting cast members of superheroes powers or turning them into heroes or villains. It undervalues the importance of civilian characters in the world. Just dumb.

It's usual sigh of creative bankruptcy. Though if that was the worst thing they did with "MJ" or whoever that character is at this point, it would've probably been more tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    While we're on the topic of MJ and her powers, I just want to say how much I hate it. I hate giving supporting cast members of superheroes powers or turning them into heroes or villains. It undervalues the importance of civilian characters in the world. Just dumb.
    Honestly at this point it just reads they've run out of ideas or probably just want to spin them off in their own book.

At the very least it doesn't feel like a permanent thing to me even if it lasts a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    No. He did NOT write them as a supportive couple in Beyond. He had MJ not know it was Ben on the phone, while May knew right away. He had MJ forget Peter had just told her Ben was back in town and made her carry the idiot ball. He wrote her sadly staring off at the window - which is the exactly same criticism he had of her character when discussing why OMD/BND was a good story choice: BUT HE'S THE ONE MAKING HER STAND BY THE WINDOW AND BE SAD.

He wrote the world's least romantic offer to move in together, and had Peter reluctantly agree after several excuses - when Spencer showed Peter with an engagement ring so of course Peter wanted to take the next step.

Every other writer on the Beyond team gave MJ a moment of awesome. Wells is the exception that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Not once in this run has Zeb ever had MJ and Peter exchange "I love you"s - even during the offer to move in, even when MJ and Peter were arguing about which one to send back.

But I do not doubt he had a story to tell about the two of them apart - by writing a story designed to make readers dislike/be frustrated with MJ and try to remove her as a viable love interest for good, finally trying to finish what BND started.

It's not going to work; it's already backfiring.
    Supportive does not mean perfect. They had struggles but they clearly were/are meant to end up together. This is like the outrage when Batman and Catwoman were supposed to get married and didn’t and people lost their minds. It’s the middle of the story, this is a part of it. Although in that instance DC did market that as a definite I’ve event so I understand it more than here.

But like has been said before they’ve split up before, been separated before but this for better or worse is something different at least.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Supportive does not mean perfect. They had struggles but they clearly were/are meant to end up together. This is like the outrage when Batman and Catwoman were supposed to get married and didn’t and people lost their minds. It’s the middle of the story, this is a part of it. Although in that instance DC did market that as a definite I’ve event so I understand it more than here.

But like has been said before they’ve split up before, been separated before but this for better or worse is something different at least.
    It's really not different.