Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I can’t tell the last time MJ had another family. That Peter was aware of. With a romantic partner who actually doesn’t hate Peter. While he was dating Black Cat. And working for Norman Osborn.

Yup all old hand here.
    I calls 'em likes I sees 'em. And if this attempt to redo Brand New Day isn't working, maybe it's time for Marvel to move on from that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I calls 'em likes I sees 'em. And if this attempt to redo Brand New Day isn't working, maybe it's time for Marvel to move on from that era.
    I'd say so. BND 1.0 wasn't exactly well beloved...so 2.0 ending up being even less well received shouldn't have been that shocking for them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    I'd say so. BND 1.0 wasn't exactly well beloved...so 2.0 ending up being even less well received shouldn't have been that shocking for them.
    Not to mention that BND 2.0 came out in an era where social media was way bigger than in '08. People always said that if OMD/BND happened for the first time today, the internet would have a field day with it. And Wells' run kinda proved it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Not to mention that BND 2.0 came out in an era where social media was way bigger than in '08. People always said that if OMD/BND happened for the first time today, the internet would have a field day with it. And Wells' run kinda proved it.
    Personally, it combines the worst of BND and the Byrne/Mackie relaunch from the late 1990s.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Personally, it combines the worst of BND and the Byrne/Mackie relaunch from the late 1990s.
    Pretty much. I said a month ago that it's the Byrne/Mackie run mixed with the politics of OMD/BND. A chimera of the worst of each. I still stand by that. lol
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 04-27-2023 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Pretty much. I said a month ago that it's the Byrne/Mackie run mixed with the politics of OMD/BND. A chimera of the worst of each. I still stand by that. lol
    It truly is a combination of the all time worst ideas in Spider-Man. It takes real effort to make something that bad.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Huh? There's a BND 2.0 now?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Huh? There's a BND 2.0 now?
    Basically how some people see the Wells run right now.

Wells run makes the Mackie run look good. The writing for OMD wasn't horrible, but the event was beyond idiotic. Zells is the worst of all. At this point a chimp clicking some computer buttons for some AI writing would probably end up better than this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Off topic, but I always thought it was funny that that Spider-Man episode was basically a recycled Rocket Robin Hood episode.

The whole 2nd and 3rd seasons were totally bizarre. “Revolt in the Fifth Dimension” is the episode where Bakshi recycled the most material. Bakshi basically stuck Spider-Man into the other cartoon over Rocket Robin Hood and his Merry Men, but it is by no means the only time Bakshi re-used Rocket Robin Hood material in Spider-Man.

And yet, it’s still better than the current story in ASM, I think.

BANNED

I know I've done nothing but complain about this run since joining today, but I just wanted to post that there is one solid positive to it and that's been the artwork. Marvel never fails to get a murders row of great talent drawing Spider-man, and this run has had some fantastic art. I feel JRJR has really pushed himself to fit the darker tone the story is going for (Despite not liking said tone, but I can still appreciate art successfully capturing the tone its going for) and has hit some strong emotional beats. Plus Ed McGuinness and Terry/Rachel Dodson, just phenomenal visuals all around. I may not like the writing, but I can give credit where it's due here.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    I know I've done nothing but complain about this run since joining today, but I just wanted to post that there is one solid positive to it and that's been the artwork. Marvel never fails to get a murders row of great talent drawing Spider-man, and this run has had some fantastic art. I feel JRJR has really pushed himself to fit the darker tone the story is going for (Despite not liking said tone, but I can still appreciate art successfully capturing the tone its going for) and has hit some strong emotional beats. Plus Ed McGuinness and Terry/Rachel Dodson, just phenomenal visuals all around. I may not like the writing, but I can give credit where it's due here.
    The problem now is that this run is giving me Pavlovian conditioning with the art. I usually see Romita's art and I feel happy, but now it's becoming more and more associated with the horrible story and I feel upset. The art is great, but part of me wishes it wasn't Romita drawing this just because I hate to see his art associated with the horrendous writing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by duke togo View Post
    The problem now is that this run is giving me Pavlovian conditioning with the art. I usually see Romita's art and I feel happy, but now it's becoming more and more associated with the horrible story and I feel upset. The art is great, but part of me wishes it wasn't Romita drawing this just because I hate to see his art associated with the horrendous writing.
    That's a pretty good point. I feel like this run has really stretched my opinion of how much great art can help a mediocre written story. Sometimes, good as the art is, it just isn't enough. Romita JR is doing exellent work but it's tied to some of the weakest writing Spidey has seen in...ever? I'm gonna say ever. I never read the Mackie run, but no run has been this frustrating for me as a reader of Spidey since OMD.

I dunno, JrJr's art still feels less polished and lacking compared to his past work, though I guess it's not as bad as some of his Action Comics art.

Quote Originally Posted by duke togo View Post
    Keep in mind, JRJR's father was the one who drew the issue of Gwen's murder. Now on the 50th anniversary of that issue, his son is drawing a series where Marvel is teasing really hard that MJ might follow suit. JRJR didn't just "happen" to be the artist for this series. They're trying, you gotta give them that. They're trying hard.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-02-2023 at 10:29 AM.