Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    You don't have to agree that a writer is creepy, or mysogynistic, or suffering from a midlife crisis... but all of those fall under 'harsh criticism' than toxicity.
    They are personal attacks. You can't accuse a writer of suffering a midlife crisis just because you don't like their comics. You don't know these people or their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Wait...Ralph Bakshi did the Spider-Man '67 cartoon?!
    Yes, Bakshi worked on seasons two and three as an executive producer and director. That’s why the second and third seasons are more than a bit trippy and strange. Bakshi also re-used backgrounds and even antagonist characters from another cartoon, Rocket Robin Hood, to save money. That definitely added to the strangeness to say nothing more of the weirdness.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Yes, Bakshi worked on seasons two and three as an executive producer and director. That’s why the second and third seasons are more than a bit trippy and strange. Bakshi also re-used backgrounds and even antagonist characters from another cartoon, Rocket Robin Hood, to save money. That definitely added to the strangeness to say nothing more of the weirdness.
    I always knew there was something off about that show but I could never figure out what...until now. Still though...Ralph Bakshi's Spider-Man...the very thought of it is pure madness!
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 04-24-2023 at 06:52 AM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    You don't have to agree that a writer is creepy, or mysogynistic, or suffering from a midlife crisis... but all of those fall under 'harsh criticism' than toxicity.
    People's personal feelings about what they feel is genuine toxicity or not aside, none of that is welcome here. Criticism is welcome as long as it's civil and about the work, not the person. You are not entitled to say whatever you want without consequence just because you don't like a comic, folks. We have forum behavior rules (linked in my signature), familiarize yourself with them if you haven't yet.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

I always knew there was something off about that show but I could never figure out what...until now. Still though...Ralph Bakshi's Spider-Man...the very thought of it is pure madness!
    It really is madness, isn’t it? It explains why seasons two and three are so strange, right?

I feel like Far From Home leaned into some of the feel or at least the colors of that Spider-Man cartoon during the sequence when Mysterio gets Spider-Man good with his illusion.

I’m not really sure Wells takes inspiration from it, but Zeb’s plot so far is as bizarre as anything on the ‘67 Spider-Man show.

Okay, I admit, that’s an exaggeration. Wells’ run may not be as weird as the Bakshi Spider-Man “Revolt in the Fifth Dimension” episode, but Wells’ Spidey isn’t as entertaining as that episode, either. #truth

Last edited by Brian B; 04-24-2023 at 07:16 AM.

It really is madness, isn’t it? It explains why seasons two and three are so strange, right?

I feel like Far From Home leaned into some of the feel or at least the colors of that Spider-Man cartoon during the sequence when Mysterio gets Spider-Man good with his illusion.

I’m not really sure Wells takes inspiration from it, but Zeb’s plot so far is as bizarre as anything on the ‘67 Spider-Man show.

Okay, I admit, that’s an exaggeration. Wells’ run may not be as weird as the Bakshi Spider-Man “Revolt in the Fifth Dimension” episode, but Wells’ Spidey isn’t as entertaining as that episode, either. #truth

That Dimension 5 guy should become the next major Spider-Verse movie villain after The Spot. They could get Jeffery Combs (Star Trek: Deep Space 9, ReAnimator) to play him.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 04-24-2023 at 07:28 AM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

That Dimension 5 guy should become the next major Spider-Verse movie villain after The Spot. They could get Jeffery Combs (Star Trek: Deep Space 9, ReAnimator) to play him.
    That would be awesome!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Calling someone a loser or insinuating somebody is a bad person over creative decisions is definitely ridiculous. The people who think Wells is creepy because of Shed sound like they've never seen an R rated movie in their lives. It's attacking the person more than the work at that point and you know it.

And again, I'm not a fan of this run or defending it. But people make things very gross and personal and it's very draining to try to discuss anything here. Most of the posts are just ranting.
    An extremely small number of users here (if any) have said Wells is a loser or a bad person. I have not come across a single example of that.

At this point, I think "Spider-Man fans are toxic" is toxic. In most cases, this talking point now functions as apologetics for the toxicity coming from Editorial and the comic itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    People's personal feelings about what they feel is genuine toxicity or not aside, none of that is welcome here. Criticism is welcome as long as it's civil and about the work, not the person. You are not entitled to say whatever you want without consequence just because you don't like a comic, folks. We have forum behavior rules (linked in my signature), familiarize yourself with them if you haven't yet.
    I apologize, I should have been clearer. I did not mean to imply that Wells is a mysogynist. As someone else said a few pages ago, it is possible for a work (or a trope within a work) to come off mysognistic without the author himself being that, like with the Stephen King example. That is what I was getting at.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 04-24-2023 at 08:04 AM.

That would be awesome!
    Oh, and his rival can be the time-traveling Spider-Man 2099 villain Thanatos played by Gerard Butler! Imagine the two of them battling it out with the Spider-Verse crew for the fate of the Multiverse! It would be epic!

Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 04-24-2023 at 08:12 AM.

Oh, and his rival can be the time-traveling Spider-Man 2099 villain Thanatos played by Gerard Butler! Imagine the two of them battling it out with the Spider-Verse crew for the fate of the Multiverse! It would be epic!

As the Spider-Verse concept is about all versions of Spidey, it’s certainly something Sony could do if they wanted, I bet.

I think Butler would need some serious spanx to play that role.

As the Spider-Verse concept is about all versions of Spidey, it’s certainly something Sony could do if they wanted, I bet.

I think Butler would need some serious spanx to play that role.
    Speaking of which, I heard that Sony is looking to focus on making more animated Spider-Man movies rather than going with the whole live action Sony Cinematic Universe route that they were trying with Morbius. Hence the reason why five of their live action projects have now been put on hold.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Speaking of which, I heard that Sony is looking to focus on making more animated Spider-Man movies rather than going with the whole live action Sony Cinematic Universe route that they were trying with Morbius. Hence the reason why five of their live action projects have now been put on hold.
    is there actual confirmation of this?
    haven't seen any news report except a clickbait video

Off topic, but I always thought it was funny that that Spider-Man episode was basically a recycled Rocket Robin Hood episode.

Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    is there actual confirmation of this?
    haven't seen any news report except a clickbait video
    Not really or not yet anyways...so far it is just a rumor, I am guessing we might have seen the same video, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to turn their focus towards animated Spider-Man content like Spider-Verse spin-offs. So far the only official things I have heard is that Kraven is undergoing reshoots and El Muerto's production is at a standstill.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Off topic, but I always thought it was funny that that Spider-Man episode was basically a recycled Rocket Robin Hood episode.

That's wild! Now I want to watch this show in its entirety, it looks like fun.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 04-24-2023 at 09:23 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I totally disagree. Why? 99% or more of people here who do not like the run ( myself included) are not personally attacking Wells or for that matter Lowe. Speaking for myself I do not like stuff like this mystical Paul garbage ( I did not like the Totem or OMD either). Why? Stuff like that belong in Dr. Strange or Ghost Rider not Amazing. I also despised Beyond and if I named my least favorite Spider-Man stories they are in no particular order. Shed, the current Paul Arc, The Other, OMD, Beyond and Silk, and Wells wrote three of them.
    Again, I'm not talking about people expressing a negative opinion of the story.