Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Last Voyage of the Demeter

New Dracula movie coming up, looks pretty good.

Going full on horror movie monster with Dracula? Cool!

So this is when he's being transported from Transylvanian to London by boat, right? I'm curious how they'll end it.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Watched it last night. Looks plenty interesting!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Going full on horror movie monster with Dracula? Cool!

So this is when he's being transported from Transylvanian to London by boat, right? I'm curious how they'll end it.
    ...With everybody dead?

Honestly, I'm surprised this is the first time someone has done a Dracula movie like this. It's essentially the same blueprint as Alien, but with Dracula instead of Xenomorps stocking the crew. Confined space+ no rescue in sight+monster= horror.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...With everybody dead?

Honestly, I'm surprised this is the first time someone has done a Dracula movie like this. It's essentially the same blueprint as Alien, but with Dracula instead of Xenomorps stocking the crew. Confined space+ no rescue in sight+monster= horror.
    Usually Dracula is portrayed as a more charismatic, human, being who hides the monster within until he's ready to show it, so it is kind of interesting to see them straight up portray him as a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Usually Dracula is portrayed as a more charismatic, human, being who hides the monster within until he's ready to show it, so it is kind of interesting to see them straight up portray him as a monster.
    It's definitely a new twist for sure, but with the basis for it coming directly from the novel and the whole confined space thing practically being it's own genre of creature features it still surprises me that it hasn't been done already.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

As a fan of classic Universal and Hammer (not to mention the original literature) this movie, along with Eggers' Nosferatu and Guillermo del Toro's Frankenstein are getting me pretty darn excited!

It's definitely a new twist for sure, but with the basis for it coming directly from the novel and the whole confined space thing practically being it's own genre of creature features it still surprises me that it hasn't been done already.
    While it hasn't been done in film, there has been a graphic novel out for about a decade now that's just Dracula killing the crew of the Demeter. I read it, thought it was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    While it hasn't been done in film, there has been a graphic novel out for about a decade now that's just Dracula killing the crew of the Demeter. I read it, thought it was pretty good.
    I love Bram Stoker's Death Ship! That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this trailer but I've never heard of anyone else who read it. It was sort of done in an episode of BBC's Dracula a few years back but not as well as this appears to be.

I love Bram Stoker's Death Ship! That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this trailer but I've never heard of anyone else who read it.
    I did too! I have to still have that somewhere, probably bent to hell though (I didn't take much care for my books' longevity in those days). I should try and dig up where I stashed it and if I need to replace it or not. It was also the first thing I thought of when I heard this movie was announced.

The part of the original Dracula novel that details the death of the Demeter's crew has a very "Alien" vibe to it, so yeah, making it that sort of movie makes sense.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Movie been in development hell since the mid 00's. It's a miracle it actually made it out.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

So odd that suddenly we're getting several Dracula projects- one meant to be a sequel to the original film (Renfield), and one telling just a portion of the original story (this movie).

It looks good. I usually don't like horror movies, but I may see this in theaters.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I could swear they have done this movie before. Vampire on a ship just sounds very familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I could swear they have done this movie before. Vampire on a ship just sounds very familiar.
    Maybe you're thinking about Shadow of the Vampire? They devoted a decent chunk of the film to filming the Demeter scene from Dracula.