Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Maybe you're thinking about Shadow of the Vampire? They devoted a decent chunk of the film to filming the Demeter scene from Dracula.
    They (I guess) parodied the premise at the end of The Lost World: Jurassic Park, with the T-Rex playing the part of Dracula.

Just saw this in theater earlier today and it passed the triple test - me, my mom, and my grandma all liked it. Not the best Dracula movie of all time, but it lived up to the premise and delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Just saw this in theater earlier today and it passed the triple test - me, my mom, and my grandma all liked it. Not the best Dracula movie of all time, but it lived up to the premise and delivered.
    Good to hear. I like the premise, covering that particular sequence of events. All they have to keep is the start and end points the same as the book and what they do in between is totally up to them.

I'm curious if they gave Dracula the same weaknesses he had in the book, which differ so much from what we saw in the movies.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Good to hear. I like the premise, covering that particular sequence of events. All they have to keep is the start and end points the same as the book and what they do in between is totally up to them.
    Not a spoiler imo because 100+ year old novel - movie starts with ship full of crew, ends with ship and no crew. So good there.

I'm curious if they gave Dracula the same weaknesses he had in the book, which differ so much from what we saw in the movies.
    Spoilers so read at own risk:

spoilers:
    We never find out about his other weaknesses, whether he has them or not - there's no Hellsing-esque character to tell them, and the ship is lacking garlic and silver etc. It does of course continues the sunlight burns and kills weakness Hollywood made famous, and surprisingly he seems completely immune to crosses even by those who believe.
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I could swear they have done this movie before. Vampire on a ship just sounds very familiar.
    A case could be made that Queen of Blood (Dennis Hopper nd John Saxton movie) is sort of like this-just not 100% on one ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    New Dracula movie coming up, looks pretty good.

Haven't seen it yet but I've noticed that every Dracula movie I've ever seen glosses over the story of the ship, maybe because giving the basic idea and leaving the rest to the imagination does have a certain horror factor. But I'm glad to see someone focusing on that part. From the promos, they seem to be going with a sort of nosferatu version but we'll see.
    Power with Girl is better.

Fantastic Member

It was okay, actually I would say it was dissapointing. Had it just been Dracula hunters my a crew it would have been great. But the films racial subplot was unnecessary to the point of becoming my anachronistic. what really sucks is this subplot takes over the film so several strong horror set pieces are rushed through to continue a clunky narrative.

Extraordinary Member

And...it's dead, Jim. It won't get a release any time soon in the UK and other countries, mostly because the distributor went bankrupt. That, coupled with the literal tens of people who saw it in the US, killed it deader than sunlight. This is also BTW the reason for the weird release date here in the US.
    Last edited by achilles; 08-15-2023 at 04:51 PM.

Getting excited about seeing this. It's bombing in the box office, but already seems to be getting a cult following buzz, sorta like Malignant.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Getting excited about seeing this. It's bombing in the box office, but already seems to be getting a cult following buzz, sorta like Malignant.
    Those who watched it generally seem to really like it - shame that didn't translate to sales sadly.
    Hopefully it does well enough on home video and streaming to earn that sequel yet, but we'll see.

Universal really needs to learn from the MCU. I mean, look at Werewolf by Night with its perfect blend of character, humor and horror. That was legit horror, too. Universal has the same issue as DC - empty action scenes and they keep overthinking things rather than just going for the low-hanging fruit of making them into straightforward genre films.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.