Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Oof, I was ready to give her the benefit of the doubt but you were right. This was very much a ROTG follow-up, in terms of both thematic focus and quality. Pretty much any overt Daddy Zeus reference will ruin an entire issue for me, so framing Diana's entire internal conflict around being Zeus' spawn and not feeling human enough is the biggest turn-off imaginable. The Nubia back-up has me intrigued, but it's not enough for me to buy the next issue when the main story was pretty much a checklist of my Wonder Woman icks (another ick: forgetting that Diana can fly as a contrivance...why wouldn't she just wrap Detective Chimp and Constantine up in the lasso and fly them over the maze?).

It's a shame Josie Campbell is so bad with WW when she's done a good job with Mary Marvel and the Superfam - if we do get a WW animated series I hope they don't choose her to spearhead.

It's honestly kinda crazy that every WW book since Historia vol. 3 has been actively bad. Very much ready for the new era.
    That's a bummer .

Incredible Member

This is me just headcannoning but maybe, given this is a fake nightmare scenario that Diana rejects, we discover Diana isn't Zeus daughter finally in the next issue (just to in time before the new era)?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    This is me just headcannoning but maybe, given this is a fake nightmare scenario that Diana rejects, we discover Diana isn't Zeus daughter finally in the next issue (just to in time before the new era)?
    Although I feel the same, I doubt it.

Oof, I was ready to give her the benefit of the doubt but you were right. This was very much a ROTG follow-up, in terms of both thematic focus and quality. Pretty much any overt Daddy Zeus reference will ruin an entire issue for me, so framing Diana's entire internal conflict around being Zeus' spawn and not feeling human enough is the biggest turn-off imaginable. The Nubia back-up has me intrigued, but it's not enough for me to buy the next issue when the main story was pretty much a checklist of my Wonder Woman icks (another ick: forgetting that Diana can fly as a contrivance...why wouldn't she just wrap Detective Chimp and Constantine up in the lasso and fly them over the maze?).

It's a shame Josie Campbell is so bad with WW when she's done a good job with Mary Marvel and the Superfam - if we do get a WW animated series I hope they don't choose her to spearhead.

It's honestly kinda crazy that every WW book since Historia vol. 3 has been actively bad. Very much ready for the new era.
    Much as it sucks to see the main WW wallow in mediocrity, hard not to feel some schadenfreude over most of these revolving around Daddy Zeus being a key plot point/point of reference. Meanwhile Historia's pretty much did the opposite of all that and is the most acclaimed WW book since...idk.

Rough couple months for the "Daddy Zeus makes WW more human/relatable" crowd.
    Last edited by Gaius; 07-18-2023 at 01:25 PM.

I guess my takeaway from this is not all female writers are good at writing Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess my takeaway from this is not all female writers are good at writing Wonder Woman.
    I mean a woman wrote Diana not knowing how to use a gas pump despite being in Man's World for 10 years, that's never been in doubt it's just there's probably more women who've written Diana since 2010 than in the previous 70 years of her history.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    Sadly I doubt it. Tom King's talked a little bit about it in interviews and he's hinted that editorial is still pushing back against the clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Unfortunately I think we learned this quite some time ago with Jodi Picoult and Meredith Finch...

Honestly gay/bisexual men have the highest success rate with her and it's not even close (Phil Jimenez, Steve Orlando, Marc Andreyko, James Tynion IV, Si Spurrier...). The only gay man who I think wrote a bad run was Allan Heinberg and he largely redeemed himself with the first film. Really curious why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Preview is actually pretty interesting; Diana definitely feels better on the JLD than the actual JL. Lasso is going to play a big part to avoid most of the mind tricks, also labyrinth with that nightmare Diana playing minotaur could be really fun play on the actual myth. Hope this sticks the landing.

Still dont like how the boots are drawn though, do not like the white line or the leather straps. Should just be the gold and red boots she has on the cover.
    This was on me, I had hope.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Sadly I doubt it. Tom King's talked a little bit about it in interviews and he's hinted that editorial is still pushing back against the clay origin.

Unfortunately I think we learned this quite some time ago with Jodi Picoult and Meredith Finch...

Honestly gay/bisexual men have the highest success rate with her and it's not even close (Phil Jimenez, Steve Orlando, Marc Andreyko, James Tynion IV, Si Spurrier...). The only gay man who I think wrote a bad run was Allan Heinberg and he largely redeemed himself with the first film. Really curious why that is.
    Heinberg's run also had clear editorial fingerprints all over it, so it's hard to tell how much of that was even him deserving the full blame.

I wouldn't at all hate the idea of him and the Dodsons having their own Black Label, non-canon compliant side project where they could do whatever.

Yeah, when I saw Heinberg was in the writing credits for the first WW film I thought that'd be the big red flag the film might be bad.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Why is editorial pushing against the clay origin? Why can't they leave WW alone.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, when I saw Heinberg was in the writing credits for the first WW film I thought that'd be the big red flag the film might be bad.
    Supposedly Jenkins and Johns did a pretty heavy re-write of Heinberg's script though.

So, Kieron Gillen for the next good WW run?

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I am so here for that! Loving his Immortal X-men

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Oh HELL yes.

And let's put Al Ewing on deck while we're at it.