Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'm pretty sure Greg Rucka is heterosexual

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    So was George Perez. I’m not saying all good WW writers are gay, I’m just saying gay/bi men tend to write her well.

Married to Jen Van Meter, isn't he (still)?
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Rough couple months for the "Daddy Zeus makes WW more human/relatable" crowd.
    Campbell trying to piss off everyone.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

I will never understand "Daddy Zeus makes WW more human/relatable" because I grew up with the clay origin and it was never something I thought twice about as a child. It didn't register as strange in any way. Have people seen children's movies? Read children's books? Animals, fairy tales, inanimate objects, psychological concepts. Children can relate to anything if you do the job right.

I like the clay origin because it's a nice bit of fantasy that adds something unique and the blessing by powerful entities feels very reminiscent of fairy tales. It's a good part for a fantasy/magical/mythology hero. Yes, the child-of-Zeus thing is a mythology thing, but it's such a common one that feels like it always runs into the same kind of stories and makes the child-of-Zeus heroes derivative of each other. If you're going to make Wonder Woman the child of a god/godess, at least make it a different god than Zeus or ****, have it be a mythological creature.

(Not that they'd ever have it be a goddess)

Or have Diana be Ares' granddaughter because that means the Ismenian dragon is Hyppolyta's uncle and I would love a story where Hyppolyta rides around on a big sapient dragon/giant serpent during World War 2 (or anywhere, I'm not picky) That would be so damn cool.

Just imagine Diana being casual about the fact that her family tree includes actual mythological creatures, so she just tips her cup towards the giant serpent in the room at the League's family picnic and she's just like "That's my great-uncle. I had to stop a supervillain scheme in Greece and he offered to give me a lift back."

Ares: "-scale the walls, burn the guards, incite a rebellion that will fire to the kingdom and I shall be at its head, marching towards-"
    Hyppolyta: "Still not going to let you move more than two spaces, dad."
    Ares: "You have no imagination!"
    Hyppolyta: "Why did I agree to play Ludo with him?"
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 07-20-2023 at 06:53 AM.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

And because I realized I forgot to ask: did Diana do something bad recently for the Nightmare to source itself in her being the monster and not the hero? Because all the people/monsters it mentions that pales in comparison to her have done big things - real vile ****. Or is it mentioned in the issue itself and my reading comprehension just suck right now?

Not gonna lie; I kinda dig the evil monster Diana design. Also, the line "And if this is my nightmare... then I will become yours!" is right up my alley. I love that.

I thought the issue was enjoyable, but I also admit to having trouble paying attention for a significant portion of it because I just don't care about Constantine a lot of the time, so my mind automatically glazed over when it came to the parts that were about him or he was heavily present. I also felt like him and Bobo felt... off. It doesn't feel like they're in-character.

For example, Bobo feels strangely cowardly lion-like. In Justice League: Dark's Lords of Order arc, he straight-up walks up to the Lords of Chaos and basically tells them to get off his lawn. When Etrigan and the Swamp Thing were getting into a brawl in his bar, he jumped between them and shouted them down. I remember him having a "Aw crap, I'm screwed. Well, might as well give it a shot" attitude. I cannot see him cowering behind Constantine.

Constantine's written as a light-hearted action sorcerer, but that's nothing new and his fans have been complaining about that for years because you can't have regular Constrantine on a superhero team, so he shouldn't be on a team (and I agree he shouldn't)

So, previews for issue 2 are finally up
    https://aiptcomics.com/2023/08/11/dc...onder-woman-2/

oh dear... I'm tired about the Demigodesses thing and gods powers and god and more god, and the Zeus's spring **** and "I dont know who I am" talk -rolleyes-
    I hope at the end she discover OH MY I AM NOT A DEMIGODESS AND I AM NOT THE DAUGHTER OF ZEUS WIIIIIIIIII
    it's too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    oh dear... I'm tired about the Demigodesses thing and gods powers and god and more god, and the Zeus's spring **** and "I dont know who I am" talk -rolleyes-
    I hope at the end she discover OH MY I AM NOT A DEMIGODESS AND I AM NOT THE DAUGHTER OF ZEUS WIIIIIIIIII
    it's too much to ask?
    Yeap, really makes me hope that Wonder Woman doesnt actually appear on Amazons Attack (again) because my body wouldnt be able to stand for it

Yeap, really makes me hope that Wonder Woman doesnt actually appear on Amazons Attack (again) because my body wouldnt be able to stand for it
    Tom King said something like he STILL doesn't have the power to change the Daddy Zeus thing, but I understood that he supports the origin of clay, which would totally clash with Campbell's speech which she insists on brings up the whole thing about being Zeus's child.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Tom King said something like he STILL doesn't have the power to change the Daddy Zeus thing, but I understood that he supports the origin of clay, which would totally clash with Campbell's speech which she insists on brings up the whole thing about being Zeus's child.
    Yeah, if DC is still going to hold on the Daddy Zeus bullshit, at least I'd be happy to ignore it and pretend the clay origin is still canon, but Campbell going on and hard on it is even awkward. And, after reading her Shazam mini, I don't know why she's so diferent when writing Wonder Woman, it's like these 2 comics were written by 2 diferent persons. Not saying that this tie-in is thw worst thing ever written or anything like that, just that the style, the pace, the story... are so radically diferent from each other.

Yeah, if DC is still going to hold on the Daddy Zeus bullshit, at least I'd be happy to ignore it and pretend the clay origin is still canon, but Campbell going on and hard on it is even awkward. And, after reading her Shazam mini, I don't know why she's so diferent when writing Wonder Woman, it's like these 2 comics were written by 2 diferent persons. Not saying that this tie-in is thw worst thing ever written or anything like that, just that the style, the pace, the story... are so radically diferent from each other.
    As seen so far, Campbell has that disease of NOT UNDERSTANDING WW that most writers suffer from. I hope she proves me wrong.

That tease to Tom King's run with the wanted Wonder Woman?

Oh my god, can a Wonder Woman writer remember that Hyppolite is dead? Is it too much to ask for?

These two numbers were really a nightmare, they honored the event: TERROR!