Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

I don't think an introspective Spider-Man is such a bad idea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Grant Morrison (who is a They, not a he btw) is another one of those writers like Hickman for me. Hugely talented, puts out mostly great stuff, not a great fit for Spider-Man, imo
    The JMS run always seemed like an unofficial Morrison run to me. With its emphasis on mythology, portraying Spidey to the peak of his abilities, focusing on reconstruction than deconstruction, introducing the idea of other people like Ezekiel having spider-powers (which mirrors Batman Inc and the idea there can be more than one Batman out there), and coming out the same decade as Morrison's Superman and Batman work.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    I don't think an introspective Spider-Man is such a bad idea.
    Yeah, especially since introspection is baked into the cake with Spider-Man's character and stories. He's usually depicted as a loner with no one he can really confide in or trust with his secrets, so lots of contemplative inner monologues and narration would make sense for him.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, especially since introspection is baked into the cake with Spider-Man's character and stories. He's usually depicted as a loner with no one he can really confide in or trust with his secrets, so lots of contemplative inner monologues and narration would make sense for him.
    I don’t know. I feel like it’d just fall into the Batman trap of marginalizing his supporting cast.

Astonishing Member

Cates is kinda unavailable right now. A shame.

Amazing Member

I would love to see Kurt Busiek writing Amazing Spider-Man and Marcos Martin drawing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Cates is kinda unavailable right now. A shame.
    Briefly conversed with him yesterday at Motor City Comic Con. I happened to be walking by as he was leaving his booth to use the facilities. I whisper-yelled, "Donny Cates writes the best Venom!'

He replied, "I don't know about that," and smiled.

Seemed nice.

-Pav, whose friend waited in line to get some comics signed by Cates and Stegman...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Briefly conversed with him yesterday at Motor City Comic Con. I happened to be walking by as he was leaving his booth to use the facilities. I whisper-yelled, "Donny Cates writes the best Venom!'

He replied, "I don't know about that," and smiled.

Seemed nice.

-Pav, whose friend waited in line to get some comics signed by Cates and Stegman...
    yes yes he does
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

I said the same thing in the MJ appreciation thread, but I'd seriously love Kaare Andrews to take on writing and drawing ASM. I think he's an excellent writer who really understands the core of the series, what makes Peter tick and work so well as a character. Plus he draws the bets MJ. Just the best dang MJ drawer ever.

Not sure how many folks here have read Renato Jones, but it was a fantastically wild, over the top and extremely fun comic. Its commentary awas about as subtle as a brick to the face, but that worked in its favor I feel. If Marvel let ASM go back to monthly, even let Andrews have a month off to catch up so he could consistently draw it (herecy I know) that would be so great.

Mighty Member

I thought about this a while, and in light of recent issues it's at the forefront of my mind, as I'm eager for Wells to get off the book before he does even more damage. The truth is before I don't really have a lot of familiarity with modern comic book writers and I find they often surprise me but with all that said my first choice right now would be Patrick Gleason. His Beyond issues were good, his art is good, his views on MJ are known and positive, could be a great option.

In a general sense though, I think it's important for the next writer to have the following qualities, in order.

1) Be able to writer Peter Parker well - Look as upset as i am about Wells and his dumpster fire of a run, I'm not going to forget the ten years of Slott talk that came out of Peter's mouth. As the central character in the story Peter's characterization is paramount. Whoever writes the book needs to like Peter and understand he's about responsibility, not guilt. Getting his voice right is the absolute most important thing. Spider-Man is a flexible character, but he's gotta be him.
    2) Be Anti-OMD - we're well past the point where this is a factional thing. Trying to split Peter and MJ up leads to the worst stories of all time. OMD, OMIT, this current mess, Annual 2001. There're all terrible. We've also already explored (again) Peter's other options, be they civilian (Carlie and that scientist chick) or superhero (Cindy and Bonnie and Carol to a certain degree). They don't lead anywhere. This screwing around it pointless. If Editorial is to be believed there's no mandate against them re-marrying, then lets get a move on that. I'm not saying issue 1 should be a wedding (though that's a way to really blow up the status quo, lol), I'm not even saying he needs to pull a Spencer and slap them together from issue 1. But we need a writer willing to move them in the proper direction. If he wants to deal with all the drama that would exist at this point all the better, but I'm flexible. I'm really pretty easy to please. They just keep doing literally the worst things they can, lol.
    3) Be able to write dense - A great Spider-man comic is a balance of Peter's life, Spider-Man's antics, and proper villain characterization. In short you need to do a lot in those 22 pages. Especially after reading through 25 and 26 with their ability to say almost nothing in a long amount of time, it's important that whoever is on the book understands how to cram a lot into a little bit of space. This is a big ask, i know, but it's what takes a good run into a great one.
    4) Have a plan about Peter's life - Whether Marvel likes to admit it or not Peter is getting older. Good news for them, society has changed so that a 30 year old is still considered young and incumbent at this point, Peter's ahead just by living on his own. But he also needs to DO something. Either we need a steady job where we can have a supporting cast to play off of and have problems for Peter to solve, or we need to see him actually go to school for a while, or both. But we need to see him doing something with his life. For too long his "civilian life" has just been random snippets with whoever he lived with. And while those are not bad to have (though ideally that person is MJ so.....), we need something to show he's going somewhere.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It should be me. I'll make Kaine Spider-Man for most of the run and hook him up with Silk.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

I’m changing my answer from Al Ewing or Donny Cates to anyfreakingbody else. An intern with AI prompts could put out better than this

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I’m changing my answer from Al Ewing or Donny Cates to anyfreakingbody else. An intern with AI prompts could put out better than this
    I'm genuinely shocked how bad this dreck is. I'd take anybody, I don't think we can get any worse.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I'm genuinely shocked how bad this dreck is. I'd take anybody, I don't think we can get any worse.
    It truly seems like Wells scribbled this down on a napkin because he didn’t have his phone or a notebook handy, then didn’t bother doing a single other draft of the story. It’s so jumbled and unpolished

A monkey with a typewriter would be an improvement from Zeb Wells.