Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Donny Cates gets my vote.

1. He isn't a BND writer.

2. He liked the 50k+ tweet that blew up about Hollywood sticking it to Editorial.

3. I heard great things about his Venom run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

2. He liked the 50k+ tweet that blew up about Hollywood sticking it to Editorial.

I've enjoyed 70-80% of the work I've read from him. I'm curious what kind of approach he'd go for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

his venom run is great and elevated venom standings in the marvel universe

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    his venom run is great and elevated venom standings in the marvel universe
    Cosigned. Cates' Venom run was freaking awesome!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious what kind of approach he'd go for.
    90's flavour (like most of his titles) ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Peter J. Tomasi 'Nuff Said!

He is the GOATED when it comes to heart felt family dynamics and giving everyone a real voice and the characterization is on point.

SEE:

Batman & Robin
    Superman
    Super Sons

I just want positive interactions between Pete and his family and friends that's the best thing about him, give me some god damned LOVE for once and not the downtrodden "Parker Luck" slog we've been getting
    That's a great shout. Can't believe I forgot Peter J Tomasi as all three of those books rocked especially Super Sons.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    That's a great shout. Can't believe I forgot Peter J Tomasi as all three of those books rocked especially Super Sons.
    His Green Lantern Corps was awesome as well, especially the lead up to and during Blackest Night.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    His Green Lantern Corps was awesome as well, especially the lead up to and during Blackest Night.
    Completely forgot about that run, he really is great and I love to see him do a Spidey fam book; especially if it allows him and Gleason to reteam up again.

I would pre-order 12 issues at a time if this happened.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious what kind of approach he'd go for.
    Doc Ock has a new plan for world domination - that requires him to retrieve his Adamantium-laced arms. But now he realizes "why stop there?" and adds Stark-tech AI to each arm to work as its own entity, and he powers his new armored suit with the raw energy of a cosmic cube sliver.

Naturally, the only way Spidey can actually stand up to such a threat is by creating a new suit that runs on the Power Infinity Gem - and a new brand of webbing that can take whatever shape Spidey needs it to have at will, which is naturally made of the Power Cosmic.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Doc Ock has a new plan for world domination - that requires him to retrieve his Adamantium-laced arms. But now he realizes "why stop there?" and adds Stark-tech AI to each arm to work as its own entity, and he powers his new armored suit with the raw energy of a cosmic cube sliver.

Naturally, the only way Spidey can actually stand up to such a threat is by creating a new suit that runs on the Power Infinity Gem - and a new brand of webbing that can take whatever shape Spidey needs it to have at will, which is naturally made of the Power Cosmic.
    well considering what he did for venom its only fair
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post

This is why I can't stand Cates' writing, it reads like fan fiction, it's so over the top even for comics. Like Scott Snyder over at DC, he has five different ideas that each could be a story arc but jams them all onto one character.

It's like: "I'm introducing a new Ghost Rider....but he's in the future...and also he's cosmic...he's gotta protect a baby...but that baby is Thanos...and also this Ghost Rider? He's Frank Castle!"
    It's pretty exhausting when he throws every idea at the reader every single book he's on.
    Last edited by hbomb450; 04-20-2023 at 10:24 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post
    This is why I can't stand Cates' writing, it reads like fan fiction, it's so over the top even for comics. Like Scott Snyder over at DC, he has five different ideas that each could be a story arc but jams them all onto one character.

It's like: "I'm introducing a new Ghost Rider....but he's in the future...and also he's cosmic...he's gotta protect a baby...but that baby is Thanos...and also this Ghost Rider? He's Frank Castle!"
    It's pretty exhausting when he throws every idea at the reader every single book he's on.
    Maybe they should team up. Scott Snyder and Donny Cates. Get their frequent art collaborators Greg Capullo and Ryan Stegman to join as well. Just let them go bats*** insane with it --- maybe for the hinted "Secret Crisis" reuniting the Marvel and DC Universes? Almost 20 years since JLA/Avengers, after all.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It should be Jody Houser.

I'd get behind Houser.

The old school fanboy in me would love to see how J.M. Dematteis would fix things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    It should be Jody Houser.
    I talked with her on Twitter recently, about the possibility of her writing another work based around Mayday or Annie, and she said she would completely be up for it, so she definitely has interest in returning to Spider-Man.