Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    It should be Jody Houser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    I'd get behind Houser.

The old school fanboy in me would love to see how J.M. Dematteis would fix things.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaydayStan View Post
    I talked with her on Twitter recently, about the possibility of her writing another work based around Mayday or Annie, and she said she would completely be up for it, so she definitely has interest in returning to Spider-Man.
    Another one for Jody Houser, especially given she's coming back for What If? Dark: Spider-Gwen, even if she's cowriting with Gerry Conway. Oh, and her Venom 2099, at least to me, was one of the better installments from the attempt at a Marvel 2099 relaunch during Nick Spencer's ASM run.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

While I highly doubt he'd be available for it, Kyle Higgins is my pick for who should handle Spidey next. He's got lots of history with big established characters and (get this) writing them in character! I really love Radiant Black right now, it's easily the best super hero comic on the market. I don't think he'd do it because he's very busy with that and multiple other indie projects right now like expanding the Massive-verse. But my ideal team would be Kyle Higgins and Stefano Caselli, once a month, and give them time to catch up so Caselli can consistenly draw the series. Higgins does an excellent job building up his characters and stories, and writing lovable losers. He's perfect for Spider-man.

Now barring Higgins/Caselli as the dream team, I'd be up for Kelly Thompson or Jody Houser as well. Both are talented and have a knack for good drama mixed with solid humor. I'd see both doing great work given the chance.

This one's a long shot, but I really love the writing of Brian Lee O'Malley, beyond just Scott Pilgrim. He is a hilarious writer able to come up with some incredible gags/jokes. He'd be a great fit as a younger voice on Spider-man. I doubt he'd ever in a million years take the job, but it would be amazing to see. Rusell Dauterman would be a combo with O'Malley, clean, gorgeous art along with great humor and intrigue.
    Last edited by Venomsaurus; 05-12-2023 at 11:30 PM.

Spectacular Member

I'm sure it has been said a lot, but it should be Hickman.

TIME IS A WEB

CAUSALITY IS BROKEN

THE SPIDER TRIBUNAL RISES

(weird symbol)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    While I highly doubt he'd be available for it, Kyle Higgins is my pick for who should handle Spidey next. He's got lots of history with big established characters and (get this) writing them in character! I really love Radiant Black right now, it's easily the best super hero comic on the market. I don't think he'd do it because he's very busy with that and multiple other indie projects right now like expanding the Massive-verse. But my ideal team would be Kyle Higgins and Stefano Caselli, once a month, and give them time to catch up so Caselli can consistenly draw the series. Higgins does an excellent job building up his characters and stories, and writing lovable losers. He's perfect for Spider-man.

Now barring Higgins/Caselli as the dream team, I'd be up for Kelly Thompson or Jody Houser as well. Both are talented and have a knack for good drama mixed with solid humor. I'd see both doing great work given the chance.

This one's a long shot, but I really love the writing of Brian Lee O'Malley, beyond just Scott Pilgrim. He is a hilarious writer able to come up with some incredible gags/jokes. He'd be a great fit as a younger voice on Spider-man. I doubt he'd ever in a million years take the job, but it would be amazing to see. Rusell Dauterman would be a combo with O'Malley, clean, gorgeous art along with great humor and intrigue.
    Not familiar with Higgins, but I'd lose to see Caselli come back to Spider-Man for a while. His work is just beautiful. I don't dislike Kelly Thompson, but I haven't loved the Spider-Man stuff under her pen.

I also, frankly, do not see the love for Hickman on Spider-Man. That "6 straight issues of vague ominous terms that will be explained 10 issues from now" stuff just doesn't seem like a fit for the down to earth Spider-Man stories I look for.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Not familiar with Higgins, but I'd lose to see Caselli come back to Spider-Man for a while. His work is just beautiful. I don't dislike Kelly Thompson, but I haven't loved the Spider-Man stuff under her pen.

I also, frankly, do not see the love for Hickman on Spider-Man. That "6 straight issues of vague ominous terms that will be explained 10 issues from now" stuff just doesn't seem like a fit for the down to earth Spider-Man stories I look for.
    The idea of “down to earth” is a plague upon Spider-Man. It’s why we’re going through soap opera shenanigans with Paul in the first place.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The idea of “down to earth” is a plague upon Spider-Man. It’s why we’re going through soap opera shenanigans with Paul in the first place.
    I don't agree. I think Spider-Man works best as "guy trying to live normal life while super heroing." And I personally fail to see how "fighting time dilation Mayan god gobbeldygook" is down to earth in any way shape or form.

Higgins also wrote the first 30 issues of BOOM! Studios' Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers comic series relaunch, which did somewhat inspire him when he went on to create Radiant Black.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, that magic mathematician that met MJ in an alternate hell dimension is "too down to earth." That's the problem.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Higgins also wrote the first 30 issues of BOOM! Studios' Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers comic series relaunch, which did somewhat inspire him when he went on to create Radiant Black.
    I've been wanting to read his Power Rangers run for a while now. I don't have as much nostalgia for that series as most folks my age but I still appreciate it. Higgins has done a phenomenal job with Matt Groom on updating Ultraman at Marvel as well. That's been a great series thus far.

For my money, Higgins is the perfect voice to update/take on Peter Parker nowadays. Nathan from Radiant Black feels so much like a more modern version of Pete as it is. Plus, Higgins knows how to make someone a loser without making them unlikable. That's not always easy. I really feel if Marvel wants to reinvigorate Spider-man, he'd be the best man for the job. Maybe, some day.

I've been wanting to read his Power Rangers run for a while now. I don't have as much nostalgia for that series as most folks my age but I still appreciate it. Higgins has done a phenomenal job with Matt Groom on updating Ultraman at Marvel as well. That's been a great series thus far.

For my money, Higgins is the perfect voice to update/take on Peter Parker nowadays. Nathan from Radiant Black feels so much like a more modern version of Pete as it is. Plus, Higgins knows how to make someone a loser without making them unlikable. That's not always easy. I really feel if Marvel wants to reinvigorate Spider-man, he'd be the best man for the job. Maybe, some day.
    Someday, yeah. And having read the Marvel Ultraman series by Higgins, too, would definitely agree.

BANNED

Someday, yeah. And having read the Marvel Ultraman series by Higgins, too, would definitely agree.
    Now that I think about it, Matt Broom is pretty excellent on his own. I recently read Inferno Girl Red and loved it. Incredibl world-building, instantly likeable and fun characters, a great grasp on writing a younger hero. Higgins and Broom would be the perfect writing duo for ASM. That way Higgins can still focus on the larger Massive-Verse he's been developing and Broom can handle script duties. Marvel has the perfect writer team-up right under their noses!

At least we'll get to see them write Spidey in the upcoming Marvel/Ultraman crossover comic. Whenever that comes out. I imagine Peter is going to have a lot of questions for Shin.

Now that I think about it, Matt Broom is pretty excellent on his own. I recently read Inferno Girl Red and loved it. Incredibl world-building, instantly likeable and fun characters, a great grasp on writing a younger hero. Higgins and Broom would be the perfect writing duo for ASM. That way Higgins can still focus on the larger Massive-Verse he's been developing and Broom can handle script duties. Marvel has the perfect writer team-up right under their noses!

At least we'll get to see them write Spidey in the upcoming Marvel/Ultraman crossover comic. Whenever that comes out. I imagine Peter is going to have a lot of questions for Shin.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one, too.

BANNED

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one, too.
    Peter: So you grow big...without pym particles?

Shin: Yep.

Peter: And you're merged with an alien...but it's not a symbiote?

Shin: Don't know what that is, so, uh, no?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, that magic mathematician that met MJ in an alternate hell dimension is "too down to earth." That's the problem.
    It’s that the main plot revolves around his job and love life that makes it down to Earth and I think that’s stupid. Why even have Peter be a superhero by that point? It’s not important to the story.

Honestly, I wasn’t impressed by the comics cause they have a lot of the same problems that the Spider-Man comics do: the supporting cast a greater threat to the heroes than the villains are. The fact that the villains are weirdly both underdeveloped and overdeveloped is kinda grating too.

BANNED

Honestly, I wasn’t impressed by the comics cause they have a lot of the same problems that the Spider-Man comics do: the supporting cast a greater threat to the heroes than the villains are. The fact that the villains are weirdly both underdeveloped and overdeveloped is kinda grating too.
    Just curious are you talking about Radiant Black or the Power Rangers comics? If MMPR, I would say that there are certain restrictions that come with working on IP that could be why it has those issues baked in. I've heard before Saban can be kind of a pain to work with. But that's totally just me speculating with zero evidence.