Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Grant Morrison is my #1 choice by far. Other names: Christopher Yost who is so underrated, Peter J Tomasi, Tom Taylor and Jody Houser. I want Zeb Wells and Nick Lowe far away from the fucking book.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Grant Morrison is my #1 choice by far. Other names: Christopher Yost who is so underrated, Peter J Tomasi, Tom Taylor and Jody Houser. I want Zeb Wells and Nick Lowe far away from the fucking book.
    Bringing Chris Yost back would be spectacular, especially after what he did with Kaine in his Scarlet Spider solo and Otto Octavius in Superior Spider-Man Team-Up. And if you can pry Tom Taylor away from what I think is a currently exclusive contract with DC . . . Other than that, yeah, Peter Tomasi would be good, and Marvel could even bring in Jeremy Adams after his truly amazing rehabilitation of Wally West/Flash following the s***storm that was Heroes in Crisis.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    following the s***storm that was Heroes in Crisis.
    I think I'm going to start referring to this run as "Spider in Crisis."

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    I think I'm going to start referring to this run as "Spider in Crisis."
    He is in crisis right now, so that tracks.

I don't really have too many specific names, but what I want most is a fresh voice, someone who hasn't got the chance to write alot of Spider-Man, and give them the opportunity to write the world from a new perspective. Divorced from any debate on actual quality, I feel there is alot missed potential when considering the main Spider-Man books are all written by guys who have been writing the character for so long (Wells, Slott, DeMatteis) and even on the artist side you have ones who have been doing it for literal decades (Romita, Bagley). It's why things could potentially feel stagnant.

Also, I really want to see a female writer take on the book, because again, we've barely got to see anything like that. Prior to Kelly Thompson's couple ASM issues in Beyond, I'm pretty sure the only times female creatives were involved in Spider-Man is a couple random issues in the satellites here and there, and maybe some back-ups in ASM. And a female voice and new perspective could do wonders for reinvigorating the character. Take Thompson as an example, she's one of my favourite modern writers, and got pretty shafted during Beyond, so I'd love to see what she could do when actually given Spider-Man stuff to write.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Been reading through Brand New Day this weekend as a personal experiment. I've been wanting to read all of Amazing up to now to get a better gage on my feelings of the direction of the series with the OMD wounds that obviously led to a lot of knee-jerk bias at the time.

Lets say hypothetically that Well's run goes for another year and wraps up at Issue #50. Personally, unless there's actually a big dip in commercial sales for the book I think he's in it for the long haul until 100/the 1000 anniversary. But yeah, another year to get to 50 and he's done. I can see one of two things.

1. Someone like a Joe Kelly is brought in kind of like how James Tynion IV took over Batman post-Tom King. Personally, I think he easily had the best arc out of the BND era, wrote the Spider-Man/Deadpool series, did the 2-parter where Pete and Felicia became an item again. Not be a disservice to him but I think he's definitely the back-up "in case of emergency, break glass" option for the Spider-Office.

2. Donny Cates. Already has the relationship with Nick Lowe through his length Venom run.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

I don't want Grant Morrison or any other cynical writers anywhere near Spidey.

Cates would be crazy with a lot of weirdness but he's a Mary Jane Shipper.

Astonishing Member

Bringing Chris Yost back would be spectacular, especially after what he did with Kaine in his Scarlet Spider solo and Otto Octavius in Superior Spider-Man Team-Up. And if you can pry Tom Taylor away from what I think is a currently exclusive contract with DC . . . Other than that, yeah, Peter Tomasi would be good, and Marvel could even bring in Jeremy Adams after his truly amazing rehabilitation of Wally West/Flash following the s***storm that was Heroes in Crisis.
    Hey, nice to see Christopher Yost get the love. Scarlet Spider with Kaine Parker was great and nobody wrote the Superior Spider-Man better than Yost did in Avenging Spider-Man/Superior Spider-Man Team-Up. Still re-read those. I think Tom Taylor is on an exclusive with DC. I'd really like PJT for what he's done on Batman/Superman and Super Sons. Man, I really hate Heroes in Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    I wouldn't call Morrison cynical.

He would be likely to get super weird and eviscerate the status quo though.

Fantastic Member

Grant Morrison (who is a They, not a he btw) is another one of those writers like Hickman for me. Hugely talented, puts out mostly great stuff, not a great fit for Spider-Man, imo

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Grant Morrison (who is a They, not a he btw) is another one of those writers like Hickman for me. Hugely talented, puts out mostly great stuff, not a great fit for Spider-Man, imo
    I agree with that. Morrison's one of the least cynical super-hero writers and one of my favorites... I just don't see him as a good fit for Spider-Man.

I agree with that. Morrison's one of the least cynical super-hero writers and one of my favorites... I just don't see him as a good fit for Spider-Man.
    On Morrison's ideas for an unpublished Spidey tale, circa 1990

SPIDER-MAN (1990)

A proposed graphic novel in the wake of the success of Arkham Asylum, with art by Simon Bisley. Morrison expressed a desire to return to the Ditko Spider-Man. "It's not Spider-Man in Arkham Asylum or anything - it's action all the way with things blowing up from page one but it still won't be a great deal like the Spider-Man that everyone is used to"

According to the webchat Morrison gave at Next Planet Over in 1999, the story was to begin with an attack by Mysterio, resulting in Spider-Man waking in a parallel world where Aunt May died and Peter never married.

"The Spider-Man of that world is a creepy, skinny Ditko guy, who lives on his own and is shunned by the neighbors." said Morrison, "He only comes alive when he's out on the rooftops leaping about and squirting jets of white stuff over everything. Freud would have loved the story as the creepy but ultimately decent Spider-Man meets his counterpart from a place where Peter married a supermodel and made lots of money. The story was based around that tension and the ultimate redemption of the creepy Ditko character. I'd do something different now."

Mark Millar later suggested that Morrison had also completed scripts for a Spider-Man mini-series to be drawn by his Batman: Gothic collaborator Klaus Janson. Most likely the two stories are variations on the same themes above. Neither the mini-series or the graphic novel ever saw print.

Interviewed about his time at Marvel many years later, Morrison expressed little enthusiasm for tackling Spider-Man, believing that Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and John Buscehe had set the bar for the character so high on the original run that any take on the character would by necessity be in their shadow and largely redundant. He instead preferred to take Lee's 'teenage outsider' template and apply it to revamps of lesser characters like Marvel Boy and supporting players in his X-Men run. Spider-Man remains probably the most significant Big Two super-hero that Morrison hasn't written, with the character not even managing a cameo appearance in any of Morrison's Marvel scripts.

https://sites.google.com/site/deepsp...verse-b/marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Hey, nice to see Christopher Yost get the love. Scarlet Spider with Kaine Parker was great and nobody wrote the Superior Spider-Man better than Yost did in Avenging Spider-Man/Superior Spider-Man Team-Up. Still re-read those. I think Tom Taylor is on an exclusive with DC. I'd really like PJT for what he's done on Batman/Superman and Super Sons. Man, I really hate Heroes in Crisis.
    Don't we all?

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I don't really have too many specific names, but what I want most is a fresh voice, someone who hasn't got the chance to write alot of Spider-Man, and give them the opportunity to write the world from a new perspective. Divorced from any debate on actual quality, I feel there is alot missed potential when considering the main Spider-Man books are all written by guys who have been writing the character for so long (Wells, Slott, DeMatteis) and even on the artist side you have ones who have been doing it for literal decades (Romita, Bagley). It's why things could potentially feel stagnant.

Also, I really want to see a female writer take on the book, because again, we've barely got to see anything like that. Prior to Kelly Thompson's couple ASM issues in Beyond, I'm pretty sure the only times female creatives were involved in Spider-Man is a couple random issues in the satellites here and there, and maybe some back-ups in ASM. And a female voice and new perspective could do wonders for reinvigorating the character. Take Thompson as an example, she's one of my favourite modern writers, and got pretty shafted during Beyond, so I'd love to see what she could do when actually given Spider-Man stuff to write.
    Generally cosigned, though on the female writer front, if it helps at all, Jody Houser did the second half of ASM: Renew Your Vows, and while it might not have quite reached the heights of Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman, I thought it was still decent. At the very least, I'd like to see what she could do with the 616 ASM.

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post

Cates would be crazy with a lot of weirdness but he's a Mary Jane Shipper.
    Hmm, yeah, editorial might not go for Cates just for that alone . . . which would be a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I wouldn't call Morrison cynical.

He would be likely to get super weird and eviscerate the status quo though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    On Morrison's ideas for an unpublished Spidey tale, circa 1990

SPIDER-MAN (1990)

A proposed graphic novel in the wake of the success of Arkham Asylum, with art by Simon Bisley. Morrison expressed a desire to return to the Ditko Spider-Man. "It's not Spider-Man in Arkham Asylum or anything - it's action all the way with things blowing up from page one but it still won't be a great deal like the Spider-Man that everyone is used to"

According to the webchat Morrison gave at Next Planet Over in 1999, the story was to begin with an attack by Mysterio, resulting in Spider-Man waking in a parallel world where Aunt May died and Peter never married.

"The Spider-Man of that world is a creepy, skinny Ditko guy, who lives on his own and is shunned by the neighbors." said Morrison, "He only comes alive when he's out on the rooftops leaping about and squirting jets of white stuff over everything. Freud would have loved the story as the creepy but ultimately decent Spider-Man meets his counterpart from a place where Peter married a supermodel and made lots of money. The story was based around that tension and the ultimate redemption of the creepy Ditko character. I'd do something different now."

Mark Millar later suggested that Morrison had also completed scripts for a Spider-Man mini-series to be drawn by his Batman: Gothic collaborator Klaus Janson. Most likely the two stories are variations on the same themes above. Neither the mini-series or the graphic novel ever saw print.

Interviewed about his time at Marvel many years later, Morrison expressed little enthusiasm for tackling Spider-Man, believing that Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and John Buscehe had set the bar for the character so high on the original run that any take on the character would by necessity be in their shadow and largely redundant. He instead preferred to take Lee's 'teenage outsider' template and apply it to revamps of lesser characters like Marvel Boy and supporting players in his X-Men run. Spider-Man remains probably the most significant Big Two super-hero that Morrison hasn't written, with the character not even managing a cameo appearance in any of Morrison's Marvel scripts.

https://sites.google.com/site/deepsp...verse-b/marvel
    A real shame . . . because that would have been an excellent story to flesh out, bringing Spider-Man back to his Ditko-era roots and comparing that with how much he'd changed since then. I could even see an exchange between the past and present Spider-Men culminating in something akin to what Spider-Man said at the end of his meeting with Stan Lee in the final episode of the 90s animated series after saving all reality: "We all have to grow up sometime, I suppose. Even us characters of fiction."

Generally cosigned, though on the female writer front, if it helps at all, Jody Houser did the second half of ASM: Renew Your Vows, and while it might not have quite reached the heights of Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman, I thought it was still decent. At the very least, I'd like to see what she could do with the 616 ASM.
    Jody Houser does alot of great work, between her RYV stuff and all her Star Wars books, would be nice to see what she'd do with proper Spider-Man

Now if there is someone recent who's been criminally underutilized I'd like to see take a harder reigns on Spider-Man: Patrick Gleason! It was such a big deal made about him coming onto the book, and it resulted in just a couple issues of Spencer's run, a few in Beyond (some of which he got to write), and only 1 in Wells' current run (plus some FCBD stuff). His art is fantastic, and he's shown with Rebirth Superman in particular to be a great writer, so I just wanna see him more in either capacity.

Honestly think they should've gone full Todd MacFarlane and give him Adjectiveless Spider-Man.

I see Gleason as more of an artists than a writer.

I dont think Eve Ewing is a bad choice but I've not reach much of her stuff.

Cantwell is brilliant, but his stories are introspective and dour sometimes and it doesn't seem like anyone wants that for Peter.

I wonder if Gerry Dugan would be willing. He did a great job on Guardians.