Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Dan Jurgens or if its still Nick Lowe as the editor I would want Chris Chan as the writer simply for the sheer insanity of it all

It seems the obvious frontrunner for next writer is Jed MacKay. He has a relatively standard resume for Amazing Spider-Man, getting attention for the quality of initially lower-profile work, and already moving on to an A-list title with the Avengers.

That's a well-trod path like Roger Stern (run on Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man; earlier projects like the Captain America run with John Byrne), Dan Slott (Spider-Man/ Human Torch and an Avengers spinoff leading to him being part of the braintrust which led to him being the solo writer) and others.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 07-10-2023 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Added a clarification
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Dan Jurgens or if its still Nick Lowe as the editor I would want Chris Chan as the writer simply for the sheer insanity of it all
    Spideychu? You sir...are insane!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It seems the obvious next writer is Jed MacKay. He has a relatively standard resume for Amazing Spider-Man, getting attention for the quality of initially lower-profile work, and already moving on to an A-list title with the Avengers.

That's a well-trod path like Roger Stern (run on Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man; earlier projects like the Captain America run with John Byrne), Dan Slott (Spider-Man/ Human Torch and an Avengers spinoff leading to him being part of the braintrust which led to him being the solo writer) and others.
    Jed Mackay would be an excellent choice and I'm surprised more haven't suggested him. His work on Black Cat & Mary Jane has been very well-received. When you have a writer working on an eisner nominated spinoff, it makes sense to bring them onto the main book.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 07-10-2023 at 10:56 AM.

It seems the obvious next writer is Jed MacKay. He has a relatively standard resume for Amazing Spider-Man, getting attention for the quality of initially lower-profile work, and already moving on to an A-list title with the Avengers.

Right on!

Other huge Marvel writers--like Hickman or Gillen--have either never ducked into the spider-office or only wet their feet. Cates was chomping at the bit to do it, and he might, but he's both committed to indie work and awol generally. MacKay, between Black Cat and Beyond, has been a constant presence. Nick Lowe seems to enjoy working with the guy well enough.

Also, he finally has a commercial hit in Moon Knight! Fan fave books are nice, but an ASM writer should be an earner.

Now we have to wonder--will MacKay jump ship to get onto ASM after Wells, or stick to Avengers long-term (say, 3-4 years), and only then come into spidey land...

...5 year long Wells run, lfg!

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Right on!

Other huge Marvel writers--like Hickman or Gillen--have either never ducked into the spider-office or only wet their feet. Cates was chomping at the bit to do it, and he might, but he's both committed to indie work and awol generally. MacKay, between Black Cat and Beyond, has been a constant presence. Nick Lowe seems to enjoy working with the guy well enough.

Also, he finally has a commercial hit in Moon Knight! Fan fave books are nice, but an ASM writer should be an earner.

Now we have to wonder--will MacKay jump ship to get onto ASM after Wells, or stick to Avengers long-term (say, 3-4 years), and only then come into spidey land...

Hush, you. Stop trying to curse the Spidey books with further mediocrity.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

yeah mackay would be cool but he just started avengers and its unknown how long hes planning on doing that book. last author took 4 years
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    yeah mackay would be cool but he just started avengers and its unknown how long hes planning on doing that book. last author took 4 years
    Yeah, I think that MacKay will be on the main title within the next five years. MacKay focusing his Strange run with Clea and Stevens marriage suggests that he would have Peter and MJ together.

Look let's be honest, all the Paul crap is going to end up getting retconed to hell in the next few years. I doubt that little from the Wells run will actually stick in 5 years. MJ will either turn out to be an imposter or get reset back to how she was before Wells came into play.

Fantastic Member

J.M. DeMatteis would be an interesting take to say the least.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I'll be genuinely very, very surprised if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I'll be genuinely very, very surprised if that happens.
    ASM Vol. 5 #75, the first issue of Beyond, came out in October of 2021. We're almost at the two year mark for this run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    ASM Vol. 5 #75, the first issue of Beyond, came out in October of 2021. We're almost at the two year mark for this run.
    If we count from Beyond, sure.

I'm assuming Wells' contract is at least as long as Spencer's, who got a minimum 3-4 years. And that's without the possibility of Wells having to step down due to recent controversies (you know what I mean lol).

I just don't see Wells lasting "long term". The PR damage is just too unsustainable. That and Wells isn't even semi-decent at making up for poor characterizations with novelty the way Slott was. Slott for all his faults could kinda-sorta make up for it with concepts like Spider Island, Superior, Parker Industries, etc. Enough to get a cult following and get at least a portion of people to tune in for 10 years. Wells doesn't have anything even close to a novel "distraction" like that.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 07-10-2023 at 01:21 PM.

Fantastic Member

I'm assuming Wells' contract is at least as long as Spencer's, who got a minimum 3-4 years. And that's without the possibility of Wells having to step down due to recent controversies (you know what I mean lol).

I just don't see Wells lasting "long term". The PR damage is just too unsustainable. That and Wells isn't even semi-decent at making up for poor characterizations with novelty the way Slott was. Slott for all his faults could kinda-sorta make up for it with concepts like Spider Island, Superior, Parker Industries, etc. Enough to get a cult following and get at least a portion of people to tune in for 10 years. Wells doesn't have anything even close to a novel "distraction" like that.
    It's worth noting he stated he's committing to 50 issues, unless he announces he's staying longer he could leave next year.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

He said how long he expects to be on the book for.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    He said how long he expects to be on the book for.
    Yeah, till at least issue 50 (like Matt said). So at least till mid 2024.

That's not up to him, though. But I guess we'll see.