Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Jason's obsession with killing Joker have a terrible price?

Honestly this is one of the things that bothers me it's been years and I find his obsession with killing Joker tiresome I think a good story arc would one where Jason tries to get revenge but it costs him more than he ever imagined. What I'm thinking is he tries to kill Joker but Joker attempts to drop him in a vat of chemicals but Tim trying to stop Jason goes in by accident instead and becomes an even more deformed Joker Jr. I like this idea because I if I'm not mistaken he's close to Tim and Tim being the one to suffer because of Jason would shatter the Bat family I believe. I figure things could get worse like Joker fuming because his plan went wrong and so tries to kill Tim at first because he's in his eyes a charlatan and failure. Then for the bat family to go after Tim because he looks like the Joker and when Jason gets a shot he discovers to his horror that Tim's not dead but has been horribly scarred and burned from the chemicals and has gone crazy losing his sense of self and identity but after realizing Jason should have been the one who fell in he develops an obsession to kill and or torment Jason. I really like the idea of Jason being the one hunted and tormented by somebody whose suffered because of him especially if he created his own Joker.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Jason already killed a Joker and it changed nothing for him. It wasn't as satisfying as he imagined, let alone bring him any form of closure or peace.

I'd be much more interested in somebody following up on that then reading yet another "Jason goes after Joker but fails to kill him because of x,y or z".

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Jason already killed a Joker and it changed nothing for him. It wasn't as satisfying as he imagined, let alone bring him any form of closure or peace.

I'd be much more interested in somebody following up on that then reading yet another "Jason goes after Joker but fails to kill him because of x,y or z".
    Your referring to the Three Joker's right? I agree that's why I made this post because apparently Jason is trying to kill Joker again in he current "The Joker" story line there's two Joker's now and in his west to kill one Jason ended up shooting Clayface in the head. I just feel like his obsession is being inconsistently written at this point or is Three Jokers canon to the main universe that still confuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post

Sad thing is, whenever a writer does try and do something different and interesting with Jason, the moment they're off the book, Jason is sucked right back into that same old trope.

The only thing it does is keep derailing his character.

Haven't really followed this storyline, but I think it would be fascinating to see the Joker's side of this, knowing that unlike the Bat, Jason is quite willing to kill him.

Jason cannot kill the Joker, they are characters on different levels, this cannot be the main motivation of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Jason cannot kill the Joker, they are characters on different levels, this cannot be the main motivation of the character.
    Being "different levels" aside; while I, and many other Red Hood fans, would have NO issue with Jason ridding the world of the Joker (for a while, at least), most of us are simply tired of Jason's entire character being forced around the one-note killer clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap808 View Post
    Haven't really followed this storyline, but I think it would be fascinating to see the Joker's side of this, knowing that unlike the Bat, Jason is quite willing to kill him.
    Did you not read and/or watch Under the Red Hood? Joker just laughed. Hell, 3 Jokers, canonical or not, Jason put a bullet in a laughing Joker's head.

But I'm to the point where I want Jason away from Gotham, the Bats, the annoying clown, and doing something else. Maybe getting recruited to Justice League Dark and make actual use of his All Blades outside his own series for once.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    Honestly this is one of the things that bothers me it's been years and I find his obsession with killing Joker tiresome I think a good story arc would one where Jason tries to get revenge but it costs him more than he ever imagined. What I'm thinking is he tries to kill Joker but Joker attempts to drop him in a vat of chemicals but Tim trying to stop Jason goes in by accident instead and becomes an even more deformed Joker Jr. I like this idea because I if I'm not mistaken he's close to Tim and Tim being the one to suffer because of Jason would shatter the Bat family I believe. I figure things could get worse like Joker fuming because his plan went wrong and so tries to kill Tim at first because he's in his eyes a charlatan and failure. Then for the bat family to go after Tim because he looks like the Joker and when Jason gets a shot he discovers to his horror that Tim's not dead but has been horribly scarred and burned from the chemicals and has gone crazy losing his sense of self and identity but after realizing Jason should have been the one who fell in he develops an obsession to kill and or torment Jason. I really like the idea of Jason being the one hunted and tormented by somebody whose suffered because of him especially if he created his own Joker.
    The problem with Jason comes from two perspectives that are frankly at odds with each other.

The perspective that treats him as a fully three-dimensional character is meant to actually give them closure in one way or another by putting a definitive end to their relationship (that I don't think it necessarily has to mean ruining Jason, so to speak) and the commercial one, where Jason simply isn't allowed to get closure because is easier and more profitable to milk that plot dry. Some writers do try to strike a middle ground between those perspectives but unfortunately, every new writer who handles Jason seems to only want/be able to retread UTRH for the nth time. Sadly, Jason seems to be stuck in the same rut as Bane, who had a pretty compelling character arc and grew into a great character pre-FP but now is reduced to merely reenacting Knightfall over and over.

At this point it would be better for Jason to be shelved for a time until a writer comes that actually cares about him and has a story to tell.

It leads to another villain attacking Jason with a crowbar and leaving him to die, it is his fate to die this way

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    The problem with Jason comes from two perspectives that are frankly at odds with each other.

The perspective that treats him as a fully three-dimensional character is meant to actually give them closure in one way or another by putting a definitive end to their relationship (that I don't think it necessarily has to mean ruining Jason, so to speak) and the commercial one, where Jason simply isn't allowed to get closure because is easier and more profitable to milk that plot dry. Some writers do try to strike a middle ground between those perspectives but unfortunately, every new writer who handles Jason seems to only want/be able to retread UTRH for the nth time. Sadly, Jason seems to be stuck in the same rut as Bane, who had a pretty compelling character arc and grew into a great character pre-FP but now is reduced to merely reenacting Knightfall over and over.

At this point it would be better for Jason to be shelved for a time until a writer comes that actually cares about him and has a story to tell.
    The ones that attempted to do this, Lobdell being at the forefront, sometimes didn't get a chance to finish before their story was derailed by company wide decisions/events. And other times, we would finish an arc where Jason "moves past his anger", only for another writer to bring him in, and throw that out.

And Jason being alive, the second Robin, history as an anti-hero, and having a sizeable fandom, isn't getting shelved anytime soon. For better or for worse.

Thankfully, the one thing NOT retconned from Lobdell's last run on Red Hood, was Jason not only reforming and befriending Suzie Sue (and her sisters), but also Joker's Daughter, and taking her back to her family. Unless that too was wiped away by some other writer or event, which is an awful lowblow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The ones that attempted to do this, Lobdell being at the forefront, sometimes didn't get a chance to finish before their story was derailed by company wide decisions/events. And other times, we would finish an arc where Jason "moves past his anger", only for another writer to bring him in, and throw that out.

And Jason being alive, the second Robin, history as an anti-hero, and having a sizeable fandom, isn't getting shelved anytime soon. For better or for worse.

Thankfully, the one thing NOT retconned from Lobdell's last run on Red Hood, was Jason not only reforming and befriending Suzie Sue (and her sisters), but also Joker's Daughter, and taking her back to her family. Unless that too was wiped away by some other writer or event, which is an awful lowblow.
    I know, right?! Always worried about whether Jason's training with The All-Caste is still considered canon or not...

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-20-2023 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! Still worried about whether Jason's training with The All-Caste is considered canon or not...

The most pertinent question .

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Well, everything is canon until something else explicitly contradicts it.

It could be ammusing to play with the idea that nobody is going to let the Joker stay dead.

Have a one shot-issue that starts off with Jason killing Joker.
    3 months later, somebody Frankensteins Joker and brings him back. Jason just happens to be there to kill him them too.
    6 months later, Joker escapes from hell, Jason puts him back with something he borrowed from John Constantine.
    4 months later, AI Joker, Jason downloads him into a portable machine and breaks it.
    etc etc