Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Looks like a lot of fun!

I wonder if Kong’s gauntlet can deflect or absorb Godzilla’s atomic breath. Kinda like Wonder Woman’s bracelets.

People are claiming that this trailer is hinting at another Titan besides Shimu.
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-15-2024 at 01:34 AM.

Shmong seems pretty scrawny compared to Kong
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

I'm still wondering if the Justice League vs Kong vs Godzilla comic isn't a stealth way of hopefully making a live action version.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Shmong seems pretty scrawny compared to Kong
    True, but he has longer reach and seems to be more experienced. He's a kung fu monkey!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Saw the flick last night. This is more of a Kong Movie. Story focused on him, but Godzilla Fans (like myself) should be satisfied. Very Showa-Esque . More science fiction than realism, minimal human focus, but the story was well done and kept me interested. The Kaiju took center stage. In my books, this movie corrected a lot of things that were wrong with GvK

Overall: I really liked it. If you go to this movie with no expectations, wanting to see Kaiju rampage and duke it out, you're going to enjoy this one. I'd personally watch it again and my buddy (casual fan) liked it too

Good:

Monster Brawls: This one had plenty. I thought most were awesome.

Godzilla Scenes: Although this was a Kong Story, his scenes were easily my favorite (maybe its the rose colored glasses talking)

Godzilla in Rome: The audience was laughing at what he did there. If a T-Shirt was ever made of the wall art of him there I'd buy it in a heartbeat

The Humans: The cast did a good job this time, I especially liked Dan Steven's Character. Everybody (Well, most) had an important role to fill. Nobody was annoying or useless.

A Kaiju's Return: Many of you know who this is but her scenes were great.

Only 5% of Hallow Earth is mapped out: This leaves an open door for many possibilities

Meh:

Skull King/Shimo: These were not memorable Kaiju. They did the job of entertaining the audience but forgettable in the end.

Some of the fights rushed: There were so many in this movie so I understand why they couldn't last long but I really wanted to see more of the Godzilla and Tiamat match. Tiamat looked amazing and was very powerful

Bad:

Some parts of the story should have been fleshed out
    : Scar King's Crystal for example. He just had this thing to conveniently control Shimo. That was it. No explanation on why it even worked.

Breath Weapons: They were spammed too much. I always thought of them as Godzilla's Most Powerful Attack. Saved for finishing the job or a show stealing scene. Nope. They were pretty much regular attacks. Wasn't a fan
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-31-2024 at 08:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Luved that this movie had lotsa kaiju/fights and action. That's what I came for and I got my" money's worth!" (Vandamme voice). Will def go to see this again in theaters
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 03-31-2024 at 08:10 AM.

Watched this yesterday. I really enjoyed it! The story made sense and it was a lot of fun. With this and the previous film, Kong seems to be the one to be getting more story development between him and Godzilla. Kong a lot of character development, especially in his scenes with the Scar King. I liked the stand off between the two during their initial encounter. The Scar King is scary but Kong doesn't back down.

Seeing Kong with his Infinity Gauntlet and King Thor Axe was a definite treat as well.

Nice story with the human characters as well.

Wouldn't mind going seeing this again.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

IMHO it makes sense to give Kong the development over Godzilla.

He works best when "humanized" and Godzilla works best when a force of nature that's neither good nor evil.

Going in 3D later this week!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Godzilla is a very difficult character to write for. Kong is more human and can communicate with humans. Mothra and Gamera communicate in some way with humans, and Gamera is a perrineal underdog who gets his ass kicked halfway through the movie so he can eventually overcome in the finale (more relatable than Godzilla's MO of being the biggest and the baddest). Ultraman is literally one of the human cheacters made big (mech pilots are in a similar boat plot wise) so the integration of the human and kaiju portions of the story are seamless because the POV character literally changes scale to match the kaiju.

Solo Godzilla stories make it a lot easier to write for the character because in the original 1954 film or Minus One everyone and everything is just reacting to Godzilla's presence, but when Godzilla isn't the sole antagonist and is merely one of several giant monsters and sci-fi or fantasy elements in the story it's easy for him to get lost in the shuffle. In Godzilla vs. Mothra '92 Godzilla has a fight with Battra underwater then falls into a volcano a half hour in, the rest of the movie happens without him, and he pops out of another volcano to join the finale battle in the end. It's a Mothra movie that Godzilla shows up in.

That's why I think Shinichi Sekizawa is the underrated hero of the franchise. He was the guy who essentially took over as head writer for the Godzilla series in the '60s and continued through a few '70s films. He really understood how to integrate Godzilla and the other monsters into the human stories in a very natural way, and ge always gave interesting things for the humans to do while everything was happening. They didn't just look at screens and comment on what was happening. Godzilla doesn't have much screen time in Invasion of Astro Monster, but does it matter? The movie is a blast and with likeable characters and when Godzilla shows up he does memorable stuff! What more could you want?

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

I didn't like it as much as the first Godzilla and Kong or King of Monsters but there were some hype/hilarious moments in New Empire.

spoilers:
    The mini fights for Godzilla while showcasing how powerful the big guy is taking down other Titans easily and why he's King were too short to really get invested in them. I do appreciate Kong's and Godzilla's different characterizations. Kong is a social animal who is smart enough to set up traps and willing to save other Titans until they clearly just want him dead and can be compassionate while Godzilla is completely fine defaulting to his lizard instincts and destroy anything that gets in his way besides his soft spot for a certain winged Titan.

Kong using Kong Jr. as a club made me burst out laughing as well as when he threw sand in Godzilla's eyes, but Godzilla vertical suplexing Kong after that was well worth the ticket price alone. I needed an instant replay after that takedown.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I read an interview with Wingard saying if this movie was successful, the sequel will focus on Godzilla's Story

I agree with BeastieRunner. Kong is easier to write a story on because he's more social and has that human side to him. Godzilla is more of a force of nature and it works. I loved how the concerned the humans were when Kong made his way back to the Surface World because they didn't want to deal with a p!ssed off Godzilla.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, it was certainly worth the price of admission. Very enjoyable.

Watched it in 3D!

Had a blast!

Was that spoilers:
    Manda when Mini Kong led Kong to that river? The one he beheaded and later ate? IIRC Manda is Terran Titan, not Hollow Earth.

Tiamat and Mothra were cool. Enjoyed that the webbing made a showing ng
    end of spoilers

I hope the do something like this with Godzilla next. Perhaps Godzilla x Mothra with some space alien stuff. I wouldn't mind this crew (on and off screen) stuck around.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-01-2024 at 02:54 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I'd give it a 10/10 Pure Kino rank
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Watched it in 3D!

Had a blast!

Was that spoilers:
    Manda when Mini Kong led Kong to that river? The one he beheaded and later ate? IIRC Manda is Terran Titan, not Hollow Earth.

Tiamat and Mothra were cool. Enjoyed that the webbing made a showing ng
    end of spoilers

I hope the do something like this with Godzilla next. Perhaps Godzilla x Mothra with some space alien stuff. I wouldn't mind this crew (on and off screen) stuck around.
    spoilers:
    Mothra was such an obvious way to humanize Godzilla more, what with her being a human religious figure that allowed the human characters to be as safely close to Godzilla as possible (not just when he's sleeping or recovering), that I'm sure that's why that sub-plot happend, and would be at the top of the list for pitches for a sequel.
    end of spoilers