Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I wonder what powers this new ape will have.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I love Godzilla. I love Kong. But I hated Godzilla vs Kong. Once in a lifetime event, rematch of the century, and they fucking ruined it by making it the dumbest movie I have ever seen that wasn't meant as a parody. So I'm not watching any sequels to that flaming bag of crap. I'll get my Godzilla from Toho, and I guess I'll wait for King Kong to hit public domain so someone else can take a crack at the big ape.
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    So I'm not the only one here who hated that thing? I thought they actively worked to make it horrible. That...I guess you could call it a story, was bad even for a Godzilla movie. I'm prepared to forgive a lot to get my G fix, but that was a bit beyond the pale. Come to think of it, King of the Monsters was also pretty terrible. Toho it is then for Godzilla, at least for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    All the recent American Godzilla movies were not good. G vs K was no exception, and it had particularly stupid story features. On the other hand I loved Skull Island. Don't know how the same company made such a good Kong movie and bad Godzilla movies.
    Genuinely asking here, what do you guys expect from a Godzilla movie? I don't hate the franchise at all, but there is only so much you can do about a story revolving around a giant, rampaging reptile.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Genuinely asking here, what do you guys expect from a Godzilla movie? I don't hate the franchise at all, but there is only so much you can do about a story revolving around a giant, rampaging reptile.
    I feel like almost every critcism of the Legendary monster movies ignores what this franchise has been for over half of a century. Do you want to compare the story to the last film to the original Godzilla vs King Kong movie? Because I promise it will compare favorably. Same if you compare it to literally any Godzilla film with Mecha Godzilla.

Unless you are talking the first Godzilla movie, Shin or maybe like 3 films in the Hesei era (Returns, Biolante and Destroyah) these films always had the most tenous plots that were just vehicles to get a fight going.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Is there some copyright that stops there from using the name King Kong in the films or is it just the film writers preference not to?

My complaint with Gvs K was it ridiculously dumb. Where every 10 minutes I just thought "Now that is really stupid" . And I happened to watch the Toho Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla not long after and found it much more coherent.
    I thought the first of these Godzilla movies pretentious and took itself too seriously, as Peter Griffin would say, it insisted upon itself. King of Monsters followed in the same vein. With some awful main characters I rooted against.
    But as I said, they did Skull Island right.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Godzilla vs. Kong was entertaining and very silly, but it's also obvious what a reshot, re-edit patch-job it was. It lacks the integrity of something like Gamera vs. Guiron, which is obviously the movie it was intended to be from the beginning, you know? I'm hoping this new one is more consistent unto itself.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRangerPete View Post
    I'm with you on that.

It'd be nice to get a few more classic Toho monsters, but alas. Damn the lawyers.
    The Ape (named Caesar) was been sent by humans testing for ways to reach Hallowed Earth. It survived, evolved, and conquered. Boom. King Caesar 2.0

Atomic Powers (not identical to the big G, but I'm leaning that warpaint on him may be the symbol for nuclear power) or perhaps lightening like attacks in homage to the original Kong from GvK? Also predicting this kaiju is very intelligent, experienced, and agile. Put all those qualities together you're going to get a very strong opponent. He might not be the only one. Might have followers too.

As for Godzilla vs Kong, I personally enjoyed it but I can understand why others didn't like it. King of the Monsters though? Loved that one. Nothing from that movie that I disliked
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-23-2023 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Interesting there's such strong feelings against these G films. I didn't love them, but I thought they were fine. (a lot better than the 98 film) My biggest complaint was the design of Mecha-Godzilla.
    I never had a problem with them.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I feel like almost every critcism of the Legendary monster movies ignores what this franchise has been for over half of a century. Do you want to compare the story to the last film to the original Godzilla vs King Kong movie? Because I promise it will compare favorably. Same if you compare it to literally any Godzilla film with Mecha Godzilla.

Unless you are talking the first Godzilla movie, Shin or maybe like 3 films in the Hesei era (Returns, Biolante and Destroyah) these films always had the most tenous plots that were just vehicles to get a fight going.
    Totally agreed.

I enjoyed Godzilla vs Kong because it knew exactly what it was. It wasn’t trying to be a pretentious drama like the 2014 Godzilla where actually showing the monsters fight was too passé.

The story for Godzilla vs Kong was paper thin but it was a fun mess that gave us an enjoyable fight between the world’s most famous giant monsters.

I love Godzilla movies but most of them are definitely not high art and that’s why they’re great.

In Godzilla vs Kong we got to see these two icons fight each other and then team up to fight freaking Mecha Godzilla (with the brain of King Ghidorah). This is fanfic or a crazy comic book on the big screen.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-26-2023 at 12:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

A decent story that manages to balance the monster mayhem and the human drama in a fashion that shows the writers have some knowledge of human behavior, and can craft a human story that is as interesting as the monster one, with a sympathetic hero(es) and a coherent plot. The WB stuff just fails on all those counts.

Notice I said nothing about the FX. That's because they're good enough now no matter who makes it for me to concentrate mostly on the story, acting, and directing. Those are what need to excel for me to like the movie.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    My complaint with Gvs K was it ridiculously dumb. Where every 10 minutes I just thought "Now that is really stupid" . And I happened to watch the Toho Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla not long after and found it much more coherent.
    I thought the first of these Godzilla movies pretentious and took itself too seriously, as Peter Griffin would say, it insisted upon itself. King of Monsters followed in the same vein. With some awful main characters I rooted against.
    But as I said, they did Skull Island right.
    This pretty much sums up how I felt about these movies. And to add something; the WB stuff just lacked the charm and appeal----for me at least, of the Toho movies. Even the most basic children's Toho Godzilla movies had a charm that none of the WB things came close to matching. And I liked their human characters far more than I did the WB versions. Whether the Toho movies meant for me to boo a character or cheer him or her, they succeeded in their task, while the WB movies....I just wanted ALL the human characters to be stepped on.

Keep in mind that I'm a huge G fan. My first memory of ANY movie was of a Godzilla movie. I've seen ALL of them, more than once, (yes, even the WB versions, hoping I'd like them more on repeat viewings. Unfortunately, they never got better). So it's not that I hate the concept. Just the WB execution. Also, the WB version put in some very fine actors, only to completely waste them. Some might argue that....Godzilla movie, there's no scope for great acting, but I think that acting can be good in most movies.
    Last edited by achilles; 04-26-2023 at 01:49 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    In Godzilla vs Kong we got to see these two icons fight each other and then team up to fight freaking Mecha Godzilla (with the brain of King Ghidorah). This is fanfic or a crazy comic book on the big screen.
    This is my experience, too.

I LOVE Godzilla vs Kong, which I believe gives the monsters some of the highest screen time for any Godzilla film, as it stuck to the things I wanted to see: Godzilla and Kong (with bonus MechaGodzilla).

Everything in that film was about those characters. It's almost like Homer's Poochie gag, whenever the monsters are not on screen everyone should be asking where are the monsters.

Godzilla King of Monsters, for me, utterly fails as it followed everything wrong with the Bay Transformers movies. Everything is about the humans, right down to every monster fight being either a background or constantly cut away from to follow humans.

I AM NOT WATCHING A KAIJU MOVIE TO SEE HUMANS!

I can care about them, several Toho movies have compelling characters, but GKoM is ONLY interested in its human characters (who were terribly written anyway). It was a vehicle for Millie Bobby Brown to get big screen experience/exposure.

GvK is the opposite and it's glorious.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Is there some copyright that stops there from using the name King Kong in the films or is it just the film writers preference not to?
    What do you mean?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

From THESE Godzilla movies, I like seeing him get curb-stomped. 2014 and GvK had that (well 2014 had one scene but still). I like for him to win in the end, but at least one curb-stomp beforehand and I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    This is my experience, too.

I LOVE Godzilla vs Kong, which I believe gives the monsters some of the highest screen time for any Godzilla film, as it stuck to the things I wanted to see: Godzilla and Kong (with bonus MechaGodzilla).

Everything in that film was about those characters. It's almost like Homer's Poochie gag, whenever the monsters are not on screen everyone should be asking where are the monsters.

Godzilla King of Monsters, for me, utterly fails as it followed everything wrong with the Bay Transformers movies. Everything is about the humans, right down to every monster fight being either a background or constantly cut away from to follow humans.

I AM NOT WATCHING A KAIJU MOVIE TO SEE HUMANS!

I can care about them, several Toho movies have compelling characters, but GKoM is ONLY interested in its human characters (who were terribly written anyway). It was a vehicle for Millie Bobby Brown to get big screen experience/exposure.

GvK is the opposite and it's glorious.
    Well said and agreed. That's probably why while GKotM is fundamentally a better movie than GvK, I fell asleep on it twice. Really didn't care for the humans (didn't hate them, just not here for them).

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This. Honestly my main problem with GvK (the Scooby gang was a mild annoyance) was how MechaGodzilla was defeated. Booze in the system, remotely, screwed it up, giving Godzilla and Kong a chance? :/ But then again I hate it when a hero OR villain gets a serendipitous win they did not plan on.
    Last edited by Nate Grey; 04-28-2023 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added quote

I still remember how much of a waste it is that they had Serizawa's son as one of the villains and did...nothing with him when he should've gotten more screentime than most of the other human characters.