Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still remember how much of a waste it is that they had Serizawa's son as one of the villains and did...nothing with him when he should've gotten more screentime than most of the other human characters.
    Did they say on screen he was his son? I extrapolated his whole deal was he wanted to be counter to his dad (working for the bad guys as it were) as a form of defiance to pops, as well as to become the very thing his dad "loved" more than him...but none of this was said on screen so...

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Did they say on screen he was his son? I extrapolated his whole deal was he wanted to be counter to his dad (working for the bad guys as it were) as a form of defiance to pops, as well as to become the very thing his dad "loved" more than him...but none of this was said on screen so...
    I think they name-dropped him at the beginning but that was about it.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I still remember how much of a waste it is that they had Serizawa's son as one of the villains and did...nothing with him when he should've gotten more screentime than most of the other human characters.
    See, this is the difference between making a reference to pop longtime fans and actually building a character.

Serizawa wasn't much of a character in G/GKotM and was an absolute betrayal of the original's intention. He was just a name. So naming the son after him in GvK was just to give a nothing character a little attachment for long-term fans and it meant nothing to anyone else.

It was just for fun, same as using Ghidorah's skull to pilot MechaGodzilla.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Honestly my main problem with GvK (the Scooby gang was a mild annoyance) was how MechaGodzilla was defeated. Booze in the system, remotely, screwed it up, giving Godzilla and Kong a chance? :/ But then again I hate it when a hero OR villain gets a serendipitous win they did not plan on.
    I get that, BUT I feel it did more to promote MechaGodzilla as a threat!

It took all that luck, and Godzilla and Kong still just squeaked out a victory. If MechaGodzilla were rebuilt, or was created with self-repairing nanobots that allow it to function without the defects, it'd be unstoppable in a sequel!!!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

The novelizations fleshed this out a good deal more; he was name-dropped in the King of the Monsters novelizations before he appeared onscreen, establishing that he and his father were estranged (contrasted to how the ill-fated Dr. Graham was stated to have been a daughter figure to the elder Serizawa). The Godzilla vs. Kong one established that the root of the estrangement was due to his father's work, so his interest in an anti-Godzilla project was partially due to revenge on the object he saw has having taken his father in more ways than one. It also stated that he was wasn't really loyal to his employers and fantasized about being able to upload his mind into the Megagodzilla forever and get as close to becoming a god as possible. The novelization also adds to his death scene; rather than just being electrocuted, his final death happens when his mind is either erased by or absorbed into the reborn Gidorah.

For being such a minor character in the movie, the guy has his own TV Tropes character page with quite the list of tropes to his name.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    See, this is the difference between making a reference to pop longtime fans and actually building a character.

Serizawa wasn't much of a character in G/GKotM and was an absolute betrayal of the original's intention. He was just a name. So naming the son after him in GvK was just to give a nothing character a little attachment for long-term fans and it meant nothing to anyone else.

It was just for fun, same as using Ghidorah's skull to pilot MechaGodzilla.
    I feel like he was enough of a character, or had enough of a presence, that it should've matter a little. Especially when they had that scene of him staring at Godzilla in GvsK.

I feel like he was enough of a character, or had enough of a presence, that it should've matter a little. Especially when they had that scene of him staring at Godzilla in GvsK.
    That was a real waste, but then, they didn’t do much with Damien Bachir’s character either.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    What do you mean?
    He was always referred to as King Kong in his previous sole movies in 1933, 1976 and 2005 but since reappearing in 2007’s Kong:Skull Island as part of the shared monsterverse with Godzilla, they seemed to have dropped the King part of his name and simply referred to him as Kong. I just wondered if it was a copyright issue with the King Kong name or just a matter of preference from the makers of these new films?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    He was always referred to as King Kong in his previous sole movies in 1933, 1976 and 2005 but since reappearing in 2007’s Kong:Skull Island as part of the shared monsterverse with Godzilla, they seemed to have dropped the King part of his name and simply referred to him as Kong. I just wondered if it was a copyright issue with the King Kong name or just a matter of preference from the makers of these new films?
    Probably want to avoid people waiting for him to die and differentiate from previous iterations.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

How is it even possible for a giant gorilla and lizard thing to mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Monarch...

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Well ...

When an irradiated mommy lizard and a giant gorilla daddy love each very much, they give each other a special hug.

Then a totipotent zygote is formed.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Given that Big Daddy G is King of the Monsters in the films, and only acknowledges Kong as an equal at the very end of Godzilla vs Kong, my guess is that it was just a deliberate choice to mark out that Kong wasn't a King yet in this universe.

Be curious if we get to hear him called King Kong in the sequel, now that it seems to have been earned.

New posters are dope.