Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Star Trek: Section 31 Movie

I like Michelle Yeoh. I like Star Trek. I don't like them together. Apparently they just won't let this dumb idea go.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/18/enter...-31/index.html
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I like Michelle Yeoh. I like Star Trek. I don't like them together. Apparently they just won't let this dumb idea go.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/18/enter...-31/index.html
    It's not even her. It's not even that character. It's that it grows out of Discovery-kind of like a fungus. It's the exciting story of the Mirror Universe that nobody had discovered until Kirk's crew discovered it except that everyone seemingly knew about it way earlier [but, remember, folks, this is a legitimate and in-continuity prequel to the original Star Trek]. In this prequel, everybody knows that this secret organization called Section 31 exists that nobody knew about in the time of TOS and barely even knew existed in TNG and DS9 [But, remember again, folks, it's in-continuity with the original Star Trek]. Yup, right next to the superspeed Gorn that everyone knew about ten years before Kirk's crew encountered them for the first time that the Federation had ever heard of them.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It's not even her. It's not even that character. It's that it grows out of Discovery-kind of like a fungus. It's the exciting story of the Mirror Universe that nobody had discovered until Kirk's crew discovered it except that everyone seemingly knew about it way earlier [but, remember, folks, this is a legitimate and in-continuity prequel to the original Star Trek]. In this prequel, everybody knows that this secret organization called Section 31 exists that nobody knew about in the time of TOS and barely even knew existed in TNG and DS9 [But, remember again, folks, it's in-continuity with the original Star Trek]. Yup, right next to the superspeed Gorn that everyone knew about ten years before Kirk's crew encountered them for the first time that the Federation had ever heard of them.
    The only time Section 31 has ever worked was in DS9 IMHO. NuTrek is just so OBSESSED with it which is strange because they don't understand it.

They view it as the Trek equivalent of Mission Impossible when it's so clearly not.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Hope they do a BluRay; don't have Paramount+ and am curious about how this turns out.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Hope they do a BluRay; don't have Paramount+ and am curious about how this turns out.
    I'm curious to see how it turns out as well considering Yeoh's character was shown eating Kelpiens because they were yummy. Good luck redeeming that, but then again this is Nutrek, where Klingons ate the mirror universe's Philippa Georgiou's good doppelganger.

What will Section 31 screw up this time?

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I dropped Discovery after Season 1. Gave it a few tries after that but I couldn't get into it.

Section 31 made its mark on me during the DS9 Era and nobody could top Luthor Sloan if we're talking hard-core.

Sloan was that close to completing a genocide when he injected Odo with a specific virus that nearly wiped out the Changeling Race. He alone did what the Tal'Shiar and Obsidian Order combined couldn't do.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-20-2023 at 08:57 AM.

BANNED

They are trying to cash in and use some of Yeoh current Oscar winning popularity to make people watch more streaming star trek. Why don't they just make a star trek 4 with a 100 million budget.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Of all the modern Trek changes, my least favorite by far is turning the concept of Section 31 from an unofficial shadow cabal doing things from the shadows to further the Federation without their knowledge, unknown even to high ranking admirals and such unless you were specifically in on things, with no organization, offices, or records...to the official CIA of the Federation with their own god damn badges.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Of all the modern Trek changes, my least favorite by far is turning the concept of Section 31 from an unofficial shadow cabal doing things from the shadows to further the Federation without their knowledge, unknown even to high ranking admirals and such unless you were specifically in on things, with no organization, offices, or records...to the official CIA of the Federation with their own god damn badges.
    They really do view it as a chance to merge Mission Impossible with Star Trek which is wrong on so many levels but so on brand for Kurtzman.

I hope it wins a bunch of awards.

Makes tons of money.

The edgelords need more stuff to whine about.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-20-2023 at 10:49 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The only time Section 31 has ever worked was in DS9 IMHO. NuTrek is just so OBSESSED with it which is strange because they don't understand it.

They view it as the Trek equivalent of Mission Impossible when it's so clearly not.
    I agree with that. The only place it worked was on DS9 with Sloane as such a great character. By definition, prequels are obsessed with the past but also obsessed with changing it and inserting things that don't belong in that era.

I know you hate Lower Decks. But, at least they were willing to make fun of themselves such as a scene where Boimler asks why Section 31 walks around wearing black Starfleet insignias if they're supposed to be a secret shadow organization that people barely know exists.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Makes tons of money.

Not to worry. They can clearly invent issues to be mad about, as we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Makes tons of money.

LOL. I see you edited that to make it a little extra trolly.

It may well win some sort of acting award for Michelle Yeoh. If so, there would be no complaint because she certainly is a caliber of actress that would deserve it. Also, if the show is good on its own merits, that's great. But, as something allegedly happening around the time of TOS, almost not great by it's very premise.

I honestly do hope they eventually just do a remake of TOS and be done with it so they have a show where all of these prequels fit and make sense. Then we can relegate them all to an alternate reality from the original TOS (TOOS? The Original Original Series?) and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    LOL. I see you edited that to make it a little extra trolly.

It may well win some sort of acting award for Michelle Yeoh. If so, there would be no complaint because she certainly is a caliber of actress that would deserve it. Also, if the show is good on its own merits, that's great. But, as something allegedly happening around the time of TOS, almost not great by it's very premise.

I honestly do hope they eventually just do a remake of TOS and be done with it so they have a show where all of these prequels fit and make sense. Then we can relegate them all to an alternate reality from the original TOS (TOOS? The Original Original Series?) and be done with it
    Not trolling.

Tired of seeing misanthropes and mysognists in geek culture.

I wouldn't be opposed to all the NuTrek being another branch of the Kelvinverse or a new continuity.

For now, I treat it like when an artist changes on a comic I'm reading; as long as it is good, I am happy. While it looks different visually, it's fun seeing the puzzle pieces come together.

Most of it has been good and the Emperor and Pike have been the best things coming out of Discovery IMHO. So yay for more of them.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium