Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Section 31 filming set for January

The Star Trek: Section 31 movie starring Academy Award winner Michelle Yeoh is also going into production. This was first teased last month, and now more details are available from industry sources. Filming is set to start on Monday, January 29th and take six weeks, wrapping up on March 13.

There are no confirmed details about the story or even the time period for the film. So far, Yeoh is the only confirmed member of the cast. She is returning to her Star Trek: Discovery role as Philippa Georgiou, the Terran Emperor turned operative for Section 31, Starfleet’s black ops intelligence division. After first appearing in season 1, the Mirror Universe Georgiou joined the USS Discovery crew when they jumped into the future in season 3. Yeoh’s Georgiou exited Discovery in the 32nd century using time travel via The Guardian of Forever in an arc that was designed to set up a Section 31 TV series for her. Later, Paramount+ pivoted the project into the Section 31 streaming movie, which was finally officially announced earlier this year.

Yeoh describes it as “Mission: Impossible meets Guardians of the Galaxy.” The Paramount+ announcement included this synopsis:

In Star Trek: Section 31, Emperor Philippa Georgiou, joins a secret division of Starfleet tasked with protecting the United Federation of Planets and faces the sins of her past.

Fantastic Member

I'm glad they turned this from a series to a special movie event. I've never been a fan of Kurtzman-Trek's take on Section 31. When they did it in Into Darkness, I was okay with it because that's an alternate reality, but then when they carried over the same take on Section 31 into Discovery, it just felt like they were thumbing their nose at DS9 (and to a lesser extent) Enterprise, where Section 31 was an organization few had even heard of. On Enterprise, they didn't even say the same.

I also thought that a Section 31 series would be hard to do, but a movie is doable. I had the same feelings about Yeoh's Emperor Georgiou. A little went a long way for me with this character (though Yeoh definitely seems to enjoy playing her), and I questioned if you could build a multiyear series around this character. The Prime Georgiou you could, but not the Mirror one.

Still kind of curious when this will take place. The Guardian of Forever didn't specify.

It could even take place around post movie TNG era-Picard or Lower Decks. Be kind of interesting if say, she brings the original Kirk back out of storage at Daystrom....or maybe if it goes back to the TOS/Discovery 1-2/SNW era,even finds the prime universe captain Lorca.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Still kind of curious when this will take place. The Guardian of Forever didn't specify.

It could even take place around post movie TNG era-Picard or Lower Decks. Be kind of interesting if say, she brings the original Kirk back out of storage at Daystrom....or maybe if it goes back to the TOS/Discovery 1-2/SNW era, even finds the prime universe captain Lorca.
    That could be a neat twist. We've seen tons of mirror versions of standard universe characters. Mirror Lorca is one of the only pure Mirror universe characters we've met first, before the 'normal' version...

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I love me some Michelle Yeoh, like I been on board with her since I first saw her in the Heroic Trio ages upon ages ago. Her mirror character here has to be my least favorite role she has ever had. If it's going to be a movie of that, then it's a hard pass for me.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Kind of wondering with all the resurrections in Picard and what not, bring back the guy who started it all?

Granted, he's dead but if this takes place post-TNG maybe they'll find some way to bring him back and explain the aging. Android body? Hologram?

We never did get a Mirror Universe version I think, despite a lot of DS9 taking place there.

Sadler has said he'd be willing to come back.

https://www.virtualtrekcon.com/ds9-s...i-ll-come-back

I'm glad this has been changed to a one-shot movie. As a series, it feels too much the antithesis of what Star Trek is. Having Michelle Yeoh in it might make it worth watching although I'd be far more interested in a reboot of Discovery where she survives and remains the captain for the whole series with Burnam as her first officer.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm trying to keep expectations to a modest level. This has the potential to be a Trek event unlike any other.
    Being Section 31 means the plot, characters and motivations can play against type.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Looks like the cast doesn't feature any returning members.

Curiously Section 31 in the Enterprise and TOS eras seems to be a more legitimate part of the Federation/Starfleet, but by DS9 it's gone "underground".

In Such Sweet Sorrow (Discovery season 2 finale) they were told to 'reform' but to be made more 'transparent' which doesn't happen.

Maybe whatever Yeoh does causes this to happen before DS9?

It also opens up an opportunity for the film perhaps to take place during the "Lost era" between Star Trek VI/Generations' opening segment and TNG. We know a lot happened in this era but it's rarely seen on screen apart from flashbacks (Mostly from TNG and PICARD).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^^^
    Now, I had already been unceremoniously spoiled thanks to that Variety article just dropping those details deep in the article with no warning.

Some though do like to avoid spoilers when possible. I would have avoided it had I known.

Just dropping that detail in the link without any warning is not a courteous thing to do.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I put a warning in the All of them thread for my link.