Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Default Marvel fans liking DC comics

I'm a long term Marvel fan, just grew up with them..with DC it's been really only about Superman and Wonder Woman, and a bit of Justice League...I'm no big fan of Batman...I jumped in to WW with the '86 reboot (fantastic Mr Perez) and stuck with it..have "cherry picked" with Supes comics over the years, Justice League too..

I jumped in again at New 52..got Superman/Action (with that "different" Superman), and enjoyed Justice League, Batgirl and Batwoman....

Now I find I'm leaping in to Dawn of DCU...so far I'm pulling World's Finest, JSA, Superman, Action, SuperJon, Doom Patrol, will try Superboy, and looking forward to all the Titans stuff, Shazam, and Brave and the Bold...I’ve also been enjoying Poison Ivy, DCeased and for fun I've got a few Harley Quinn comics!

I feel that DC seem to write relationships better than Marvel on the whole, Marvel these days spend more time on the biff, bang, pow! of things...Spider-Man in particular is a mess at the moment considering his relationship with most of his cast of characters.....but Marvel also have new No 1s and new creative teams..I'm sticking with them...but, yeah I'm loving DC right now...

I wonder if there are more Marvelites who feel the same right now, considering all there is it seems to complain about with Marvel...

I’d read some Batman comics over the years & really joyed them. That was about it though. The DC books I’d been exposed to mostly belonged to a friend who has a huge collection of comics from the 70’s - 90’s. I glanced at some of the Superman stuff, particularly Superboy & the Legion and it did nothing for me. I had no idea Superboy was Superman! I tried to read Crisis from the 80’s but it wasn’t for me. I like Dark Knight & Watchman however. The Man of Steel movie made me appreciate the character for the first time but it wasn’t until Bendis arrived that I bought the comics. They showed me the character could be really interesting. I mostly stuck with the Bendis books like Legion but eventually started reading the Flash and occasionally other books.

I enjoy DC. I think sometimes they can be more daring than Marvel. Everything comes down to writing but there are some great characters here.

Extraordinary Member

I had mostly read Marvel from the 80s with the only DC exposure being everything dealing with the death of Superman and the aftermath. I got into DC full time with New 52. Now I kind of swing back and forth depending on what catches my eye and what I am tired of at the moment. Both companies are prone to sweeping changes and sometimes it is just about the right mix of writer/artist and character.

The paper is much better with DC so that is always a benefit.

I grew up watching both Marvel and DC cartoons. So I got into both universes and jump between them as I got older.

Currently I'm reading more DC comics but it's generally the lesser known characters that caught my eye. For example, Black Adam, Doom Patrol, Dead Boy Detectives, JSA and the Blood Syndicate caught my eye. I'm also excited for the upcoming new characters the Vigil. Ram V's detective comics seems to be the outlier.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-21-2023 at 12:58 PM.

I just love COmics. I don't need a side, why limit myself?

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I feel the same way and I've never understood just wanting to read comics from one company. I mean you never hear someone say they love movies but only movies put out by Warner Bros or something. It's just an odd way of thinking.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I’d read some Batman comics over the years & really joyed them. That was about it though. The DC books I’d been exposed to mostly belonged to a friend who has a huge collection of comics from the 70’s - 90’s. I glanced at some of the Superman stuff, particularly Superboy & the Legion and it did nothing for me. I had no idea Superboy was Superman! I tried to read Crisis from the 80’s but it wasn’t for me. I like Dark Knight & Watchman however. The Man of Steel movie made me appreciate the character for the first time but it wasn’t until Bendis arrived that I bought the comics. They showed me the character could be really interesting. I mostly stuck with the Bendis books like Legion but eventually started reading the Flash and occasionally other books.

I enjoy DC. I think sometimes they can be more daring than Marvel. Everything comes down to writing but there are some great characters here.
    This is such a strange concept to me. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that there's an entire generation out there for whom that isn't true. He had an entire TV show as Superboy. Up until 30 years ago, he was also the only Superboy. Ironically, what would be the Conner Kent Superboy debut a year after said show ended. Maybe I'm just old but I can't fathom the idea that some people don't know that Superman was the first Superboy.
    Assassinate Putin!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is such a strange concept to me. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that there's an entire generation out there for whom that isn't true. He had an entire TV show as Superboy. Up until 30 years ago, he was also the only Superboy. Ironically, what would be the Conner Kent Superboy debut a year after said show ended. Maybe I'm just old but I can't fathom the idea that some people don't know that Superman was the first Superboy.
    I was watching Superboy cartoons back in the late '60s, so I know how you feel.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Well, it doesn't help that most adaptations skip the Superboy phase.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-22-2023 at 10:02 AM.

I was always a Marvel fan first that got hugely into Smallville and then gradually became a DC fan first. After OMD my transition to DC was essentially complete. Still, in my heart of hearts Marvel is probably still my #1, since I usually tend to get upset too easily when DC does something crappy to my favorite characters since I'm currently more invested in them than Marvel.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-22-2023 at 10:03 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I feel the same way and I've never understood just wanting to read comics from one company. I mean you never hear someone say they love movies but only movies put out by Warner Bros or something. It's just an odd way of thinking.
    Yeah, I have been a fan of both companies for 50-something years myself. While I lean more towards DC, it has never dampened my love for the characters at Marvel one iota.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I was always a huge Superman/Batman fan but for the other characters I would gravitate toward Marvel more.

But that's because I feel that Marvel does a much better job promoting their characters. Stuff like all the X-Men teams or the Avengers teams, you would see all the promotion for the comics. And also for characters like Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Namor, She-Hulk etc...

DC doesn't do the same for a lot of their characters I feel. For the longest time I didn't even know that Martian Manhunter stories were in House of Mystery or Detective Comic backups, I didn't know Shazam had his ongoing in the 90s, or Blue Beetle and Firestorm had their ongoings. I've never seen ads for Legion of Superhero comics, I mean you just had to figure it out for yourself.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    I was always a huge Superman/Batman fan but for the other characters I would gravitate toward Marvel more.

But that's because I feel that Marvel does a much better job promoting their characters. Stuff like all the X-Men teams or the Avengers teams, you would see all the promotion for the comics. And also for characters like Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Namor, She-Hulk etc...

DC doesn't do the same for a lot of their characters I feel. For the longest time I didn't even know that Martian Manhunter stories were in House of Mystery or Detective Comic backups, I didn't know Shazam had his ongoing in the 90s, or Blue Beetle and Firestorm had their ongoings. I've never seen ads for Legion of Superhero comics, I mean you just had to figure it out for yourself.
    I agree with this.
    I also agree with the OP that Marvel.... I had a lot to complain about, and it drove me BACK to DC which often I feel like has large swaths of it universe that feel underdeveloped so its cool when they develop it. I always felt like thier elseworlds
    hit harder than the original universe. However, sometimes because of all the rebooting, backtracking, spotlight on just a few characters SO often... I just drifted further even away from DC on to manga and other things which is sad. Dc has this
    free real estate feel to in for any topic that isn't simply "Justice-something" or bat-related realms.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I loved them both equally, but after New 52 up until now my DC Comics intake has fallen off a cliff especially after the multiple Crises on multiple Earths.

I used to love DC as my go to for "fantasy" superherodom if that makes any sense. Meaning they were in fictional cities in a weird off shoot Earth, while Marvel was more "real" because they were in New York (I know it's nonsense, but my child brain differentiated it that way, and it stuck).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Same. If I had to pick just one property, it would be the Legion of Super-Heroes, right at the top, but I also love the Teen Titans, Young Justice, Power Company, Global Guardians, Justice Society, Infinity, Inc., etc. on the DC side *and* the Young Avengers, New X-Men, New Mutants, Avengers Academy, Runaways, X-Factor, Alpha Flight, Thunderbolts, etc. over on the Marvel side.

Fortunately, nobody has ever put a gun to my head and made me choose just one. I can like my chocolate *and* my peanut butter!