Extraordinary Member

Default Blue Beetle: Graduation Day #6 Preview

Blue Beetle: Graduation Day #6 Preview / Spanish Preview
    Writer: Josh Trujillo
    Artist: Adrian Gutierrez

Looks like an exciting and action-packed finale!

Ah, so we finally see the true meaning of Graduation Day.

Superman and Batman telling Jaime that they have faith in him and letting him take the lead during the big showdown.

It’s great to see it finally happen as I definitely get tired of Jaime being the screw up young hero who constantly needs to be bailed out by Ted or some other “grown up” superhero.

Here’s hoping DC actually has some plans for Blue Beetle after this and they don’t shelve him for another 5 years or so. It doesn’t look like they have any new Blue Beetle-Jaime content scheduled to come out before the movie hits theaters, so they’ll probably just rush this story into tpb and call it a day. Here’s hoping he at least appears in a team book next year.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-23-2023 at 12:29 AM.

Amazing Member

Loved the final issue. Jaime is really coming into his own as a hero, he'd make a good leader.

Also spoilers:
    From the epilogue, looks like we are getting something new in September! Blue Beetle: Scarab War #1. No idea if it's a one shot or another mini, but either way I am excited we're getting more!!
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Zudomon View Post
    Loved the final issue. Jaime is really coming into his own as a hero, he'd make a good leader.

Also spoilers:
    From the epilogue, looks like we are getting something new in September! Blue Beetle: Scarab War #1. No idea if it's a one shot or another mini, but either way I am excited we're getting more!!
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Same, I really liked this miniseries so more is always a good thing.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm glad Jaime's getting a new series, and hope it does well. This mini-series was just too typical and "safe" for me, while also injecting a lot of new changes to Jaime's status quo instead of reintroducing readers to his supporting cast, whom we really haven't seen in a while. I'm not crazy about the new Beetles, or the fact that the Justice League (including SUPERMAN) can't deal with the threats that arise. It has nothing to do with trusting Jaime and everything to do with the fact that this is BB's book, and he has to be "more right" to get the big thumbs-up from the Justice League, despite the fact that Jaime's proved himself before.

I'd kind of have to agree with the review on AIPT. But still, I'm glad that he's at least getting an ongoing to keep the momentum after the movie!

Overall I loved this series. It captured the essence of the character and introduced some new concepts and direction. I think it set out to be a story that satisfies long time fans but is accessible to new fans who may be getting into Blue Beetle because of the upcoming movie. It definitely accomplished that.

The final threat being an out of control space craft was a little underwhelming but the story as a whole really worked. I’m sure Superman could have stopped the ship but it did seem like this was a test and a big reassurance from Superman and Batman. Jaime proved to them that he could be a leader and save the world. So his GRADUATION DAY.

I think this was a big step forward for the character as it was time for him to grow out of the “everyman who is in way over his head” superhero role. That trope definitely works when he first gets the scarab but it’s time for him to be portrayed as a more confident hero who could potentially lead a team.

The immigration analogy was a little heavy handed but they pulled it off by showing that panel of Superman with a big smile on his face. Kinda saying, remember the most well known superhero on the planet is an immigrant.

Also, I totally loved the interactions between Jaime and Supes. Trujillo wrote Superman really well as a positive supportive mentor. I hope he shows up in Scarab Wars.

Surprised how much I enjoyed the ending, wasn’t sure there was really any plot left after last issue had all the Beetles make friends. Mini ended up being a solid bridge between what came before and Jaime’s new life in Palmera, so I’m looking forward to the ongoing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Was pretty happy with this series and the finale overall. Jaime feels like he's moving forward as a character at last, to the point where he gets his own fictional city (a DC staple), and I love that this continues to confirm that he and Ted can coexist without any sense of redundancy. Also loved the use of the bigger DCU in here (I appreciate it any time any writer will do a deep dive for a character, like we saw with Black Condor here) and the reemergence of Gimmix; I always dug the "doomed to die" Seven Soldiers team from the initial one-shot so it's great to see her again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Was pretty happy with this series and the finale overall. Jaime feels like he's moving forward as a character at last, to the point where he gets his own fictional city (a DC staple), and I love that this continues to confirm that he and Ted can coexist without any sense of redundancy. Also loved the use of the bigger DCU in here (I appreciate it any time any writer will do a deep dive for a character, like we saw with Black Condor here) and the reemergence of Gimmix; I always dug the "doomed to die" Seven Soldiers team from the initial one-shot so it's great to see her again.
    Except is that really Gimmix or a Sheeda-controlled zombie?

(Answers that imply the events of Seven Soldiers never happened not accepted.)

It was not bad, but maybe a little rushed for my taste. Still, ejoyed the art, ouside some gratuitous scenes.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Except is that really Gimmix or a Sheeda-controlled zombie?

(Answers that imply the events of Seven Soldiers never happened not accepted.)
    How was Gimmix shown to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskana View Post
    I'm glad Jaime's getting a new series, and hope it does well. This mini-series was just too typical and "safe" for me, while also injecting a lot of new changes to Jaime's status quo instead of reintroducing readers to his supporting cast, whom we really haven't seen in a while. I'm not crazy about the new Beetles, or the fact that the Justice League (including SUPERMAN) can't deal with the threats that arise. It has nothing to do with trusting Jaime and everything to do with the fact that this is BB's book, and he has to be "more right" to get the big thumbs-up from the Justice League, despite the fact that Jaime's proved himself before.
    This was the best Jaime series I've read since his original run, but I agree. Wasn't bad, but it felt...thin?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.