Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MJ and BC #5

It's funny how Dark Web is long over but this is still going on, not that it really had all that much to do with Dark Web other than giving MJ and Felicia to do.

Really the only point it seemed to serve was banking on the popularity of the MJ/BC Beyond one-shot and doubling-down on creative decisions going on in ASM (MJ approving of Felicia dating Peter, MJ doubling down on the kids, and setting up the jackpot watch).

Astonishing Member

I have heard rumors about the spoilers of this issue, and I'm confused. Honestly, it sounds like more crap and I'm starting to get a sore around the MJ's supposed kids.

For what I heard, it would appear MJ and Felicia could actually become ONE after both their souls end up trapped in some mess.

"He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Did we really need a confirmation that this series is a waste of time. It was obvious as soon as it was first announced.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Did we really need a confirmation that this series is a waste of time. It was obvious as soon as it was first announced.
    I don't know. For what I heard in that video, it could have something important hiding in the last issue.

See, they say the Soulsword ends up bonding with the soul of whoever grabs it, until that person is killed. They say the sword has been splitted between MJ and Felicia, which means it has been bonded with their souls, and that should mean these two girls are somehow "linked". If the rumors about MJ dying are true (which I hope not), how about if MJ's soul, instead of going to Heaven... Ends up merging with Felicia's? Can you imagine it? Felicia and Mary Jane merged into one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I don't know. For what I heard in that video, it could have something important hiding in the last issue.

See, they say the Soulsword ends up bonding with the soul of whoever grabs it, until that person is killed. They say the sword has been splitted between MJ and Felicia, which means it has been bonded with their souls, and that should mean these two girls are somehow "linked". If the rumors about MJ dying are true (which I hope not), how about if MJ's soul, instead of going to Heaven... Ends up merging with Felicia's? Can you imagine it? Felicia and Mary Jane merged into one.
    so mj will do what peter did in Superior. Or you are thinking they will fuse and become one whole new person? Felicijane or Marylicia
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    so mj will do what peter did in Superior. Or you are thinking they will fuse and become one whole new person? Felicijane or Marylicia
    Oh God, Mary Jane will become...the Superior Black Cat!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Not really. More like a Jekyll/Hyde about two minds in the same head. You know, something like Banner and Hulk.

And this is not something MJ would do willfully, but an unexpected twist from messing with a dangerous magical weapon.

It's okay, MJ's need to be with her kids will only strengthen her resolve to somehow get over the fact that Felicia is more curvaceous than her.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Unless the soul thing is a plot point for the return to limbo arc with MJ and BC involved

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Unless the soul thing is a plot point for the return to limbo arc with MJ and BC involved
    There's got to be more interesting stuff you can do with these two.

I'm really struggling to come up with a reason this mini existed.

I mean, it's a "Dark Web" tie-in that other than the demons and limbo really didn't have much to do with Dark Web other than explaining what MJ and Felicia were doing. Not only did outlast said event it even dropped the branding.

This was supposed to be building on the success of the Mary Jane and Black Cat Beyond one-shot but I don't feel like this series played to either ladies' strength or relationship as well as that story did and wasn't anywhere near as fun, especially when a lot of the plot was spent on Felicia whining about dating Peter and MJ whining about her kids.

MJ's got a super watch now with no explanation even within this actual mini...I know Wells will seemingly address it but it's just that you set something up in one book and don't even bother to resolve it in any satisfying way, you're left scratching your head and feeling underwhelmed. Now whether you care for MJ with powers or not, I'm not even sure if they were conveyed well here in a "cool" way aside from maybe 1-2 instances. So not sure if this is selling people on Superhero MJ, especially when she's still insistent she wants nothing to do with it.

Belasco felt pretty generic here and the ladies' last-minute demonic power-up made things feel a tad anti-climactic and convenient.

The only thing this story seems to have accomplished is making MJ approve of Peter and Felicia being together and acting like she doesn't care about being with him any more or doubling-down on MJ's kids that nobody cares about. I guess they also double-down on the leads' friendship but that only really felt prominent in the last half of the mini.

Overall, I can't help but feel a little disappointed after loving the Beyond one-shot to bits. The art was great, Jed Mackay is at least solid even with one of his weaker works, but this just didn't feel like a mini that was firing on all cylinders or achieving the heights it could have. And maybe that was out of Jed's hands to some extent.