Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What's Your Excitement Level On The Future Of Superhero Movies?

Guardians 2 is where I started losing interest in superhero films, I think. I chuckled through it, but leaving the theater I felt like I kind of forced my enjoyment of it rather than it coming naturally. It was a few months though before I realized it, probably upon rewatching it on TV. I actually had forgotten that Kurt Russel, one of my lifelong favorite actors, was in it.

Wonder Woman was a movie that I was extremely grateful for, in that I appreciated very much that young girls finally had someone to dress up as and to imagine themselves being like. Yet I left shortly after the No Man's Land scene. I watched last half in my home much later, and was sorry I did as it turned a "meh" feeling about the film into actual dislike with the silly climatic battle.

Black Panther and Avengers 4 I understand the passion for, but I don't share it. I was restless and distracted all the way through each of them. Any Man and The Wasp was the closest I've come to pure enjoyment of a superhero film lately, but I wasn't in love with it. Doctor Strange was the last superhero movie I truly enjoyed, and I doubt there'll ever be a second one. I'll watch Avengers: Endgame because I feel obligated to see the end of the story, but I'm not impatient for it. And if it ends the way I expect it to, it'll probably give me closure on leaving the whole superhero genre behind, as I expect it to be the end of several major storylines and characters.

I doubt I'll see Guardians 3 no matter who helms it. I think it's criminal that Gunn is out, but I don't seriously think he's the only person who can do this movie.

After laughing at it for years, maybe I have to admit superhero fatigue is a real thing? At least for me, but I've yet to be convinced it's a broad issue.

I haven't been excited for a superhero movie in a long while . . . but I do still enjoy most of the Marvel ones when I see them. And I liked Wonder Woman, even with sound-and-fury ending.

I think it's just a question of how excited can you get for something that you don't go without long enough to miss it.

I seldom see movies in the theater anymore so that's no indication. I also seldom see a movie twice as I did when I was younger and it was sometimes more than twice. But I did drag myself to Black Panther and IW and loved them both. I didn't see G2 until it was on Netflix and, yay, Kurt Russell. So while I'm not as energetic about it as I was when I was a kid, I'm still into it. I'm especially looking forward to the Captain Marvel movie and, by Captain Marvel, I mean the World's Mightiest Mortal, the one who yells "Shazam" but I refuse to refer to him as anything but Captain Marvel regardless of the legal garbage.

Strangely, I'm looking forward more to the upcoming DC movies than the Marvel ones although I am interested in them when they hit Netflix. But I especially and for sure plan to go to the theater for "Shazam" and I like the "Aquaman" trailer.
    Power with Girl is better.

Double Post.
    Power with Girl is better.

I don't really get the idea of treating an entire genre of movies as one single 'entity'. A movie is a movie. So I watch what I wanna watch and vice versa.

Plus, I've never really considered Superhero movies as a specific genre anyway. That's a theme, for sure, but ultimately they're still generally just action movies. And I can't imagine ever deciding that I was done with action movies... or comedies or sci-fi-or animation or anything really. It just seems really strange to me to think of movies that way, much less make decisions about what movies I'd watch in the future.

What's my excitement level? Haven't a clue, who measures that? But when a trailer hits, I'll watch it and can usually gauge if that it's a movie I wanna see and how hyped I may be about it.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 08-03-2018 at 01:30 AM.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I don't really get the idea of treating an entire genre of movies as one single 'entity'. A movie is a movie. So I watch what I wanna watch and vice versa.

Plus, I've never really considered Superhero movies as a specific genre anyway. That's a theme, for sure, but ultimately they're still generally just action movies. And I can't imagine ever deciding that I was done with action movies... or comedies or sci-fi-or animation or anything really. It just seems really strange to me to think of movies that way, much less make decisions about what movies I'd watch in the future.

What's my excitement level? Haven't a clue, who measures that? But when a trailer hits, I'll watch it and can usually gauge if that it's a movie I wanna see and how hyped I may be about it.

Incredible Member

I'm interested primarily in any X-Men properties allowed a release before the reboot. Didn't see the latest Spider-Man, Ant-Man, Infinity War, Guardians 2 and don't really care when I do. About the only film I was put out I missed in theatres was Black Panther (had a flu plus unexpected expenses during it's run). There's very few superhero films I feel a strong desire to see in theatres. Enjoyed Deadpool 2 in theatres a couple months back.

BANNED

Pretty excited to see how Infinity War is concluded.

Not excited for Captain Marvel (MCU, for extra clarity) but I’ll watch it and hopefully be surprised (just not a huge fan of the character).

Not excited for Auqaman (DCEU general uneasiness, plus I’m not that into Arthur and his world), but I’ll see it.

Shazam looks like it could be fun, but I’m wary.

Wonder Woman ‘84 would hopefully be a decent sequel, so I’m pretty happy it’s on its way.

Venom looks like a dumpster fire.

Not excited for any of the X-films due out, which is quite a bummer for me.

Not too sure about anything beyond those.

Pretty interested to see the end of that infinity little crisis.

And i sure as hell am game for some more Black Panther and X-men stuff.

Beside that? Meh, Shazam yeah, for sure. But i'm most likely going to skip the rest, at least in theaters.

Retired

Welll, there's something exciting about seeing characters I grew up with appearing in movies and TV shows. And those are by and large DC characters. Sorry, Marvel fans, but even though I read a lot of Marvel comics over the years, it's just not the same for me seeing those characters on screen.

Ultimately, SUICIDE SQUAD might have been a mess, but it was thrilling to me that such obscure DC characters could appear in a movie for general audiences.

I get hyped for AQUAMAN and SHAZAM! But then I have to calm myself down, because I've been down this road too many times with DC--where there's a movie that I want (and one I even enjoy in the theatre), only to find the movie met with disgust from averarge movie-goers, who quickly turn on the movie and say horrible things about it. It's like one of those dreams that turns into a nightmare.

I think part of the reason any person wants their favourite characters to get a movie is because movies reach a bigger audience--so you get to share your favourite with a bigger group of people. And you hope they'll have the same love as you for that character. But when they don't, it's deeply depressing. So now every DC movie is a risk to my health--the level of angst induces too much stress.

I'll continue to watch MCU movies in the theater until they stop making quality, entertaining movies. I'm excited for Captain Marvel and Avengers 4. Past that I'm not sure; it depends on where they take the franchise.
    I didn't see X-Men Apocalypse and I'm not interested in Dark Phoenix or New Mutants. I do enjoy the Deadpool movies. I might see Aquaman at the theater, but I will likely wait for home video for Shazam and I have no interest at all in the Joker movie.

Ultimate Member

I'm generally interested in MCU stuff. I'm very,very curious to find out what happens next with the Avengers.

I'm a curious about Aquaman (i loved the trailer). I'm not sure about Shazam (doesn't look like something i'll enjoy) and I can't say I have real interest in the Venom movie.

Outside of Deadpool, I have no interest in what Fox is doing with X-men.

Excitement is a strong word. I am still entertained by comic book violence in a live-action format. I seek it out and yet I haven't seen GOTG 2 since it's hit Netflix nor have I seen Infinity War yet. I was excited to see Batman 89 and I was excited to see the followup Batman Returns when I was a teenager. I was even pretty stoked to see Iron Man back in 2008. Since then... excitement is a strong word. I agree with most of the statements above, when you don't see every Tom Dick and Harry in a cape I guess it would have diminishing returns at some point. I got kids, I don't get to the theaters that often unless I make a real effort. I made a real effort for Black Panther and we turned it into a whole group thing which was very cool. Discernment is an ally.

I've bought comics for 30 years, I can still find 'excitement' digging through a long box at a flea market at my age. The movies are and have always been a bonus. In those 30 years I remember being glad to see the Return of Swamp Thing on HBO cause that's all there was. I like to feel I'm still that person in a way even though I'm now inundated with, well, many Return of Swamp Things over the years.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I think with the ubiquity of superhero movies, we actually run into a sort of opportunity cost with them. I have friends who keep up with a significant majority of superhero movies and TV being produced . . . and missing out on a lot of other movies and TV because they don't have the time to get around to that stuff.

Fantastic Member

The films action has to get better. No more hero vs hero unless its actually Warrented. I actually liked the direction the dceu was aiming for with man of steel and bvs. Marvel comedy is getting boring now