Thread: Wrestling WWE

Astonishing Member

WWE Raw 10/17/16 Review: Goldberg Returns To WWE Raw To Accept Brock Lesnar' Challenge
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A52tahaR8Q

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    -Dana Brooke botches the ending of a match, and makes Bayley look like a chump in the process. And speaking of Bayley, all of her momentum from early on when she debuted, gone now.
    Yep. They called her up in a knee-kerk reaction to Sasha seemingly being out of action for a little while... But then Sasha came back after, what, a couple of weeks? As a result, we got the triple threat to take Bayley out of the title picture and since then, she's had a couple of matches against local talent - and how anyone in creative thought that would maintain her momentum, I have no clue. Likewise, a feud against Dana doesn't exactly build her up... Dana is seen as a rookie herself, arguably moreso than Bayley (despite debuting on the main roster a little earlier), so the expectation would be for Bayley to despatch Dana in pretty short order. So she's kinda on a hiding to nothing... If she wins, it's no big achievement. If she loses (or worse yet, loses clean, thanks to Dana's inexperience) it just makes her look weak.

Having said though, what other options were there? The only other active heel on RAW is Nia Jax (Well, active'ish at least... she's been conspicuous by her absence since CoC). But with the WWE keen on putting her over like this huge unstoppable force, putting Jax in a feud with a woman who already has stopped her - twice - doesn't really help that narrative.

It's things like this (and the merry-go-round of feuds in Smackdown's Women's division) that continue to convince me the women's division should never have have been part of the brand split. It was an already relatively small division which has now been separated into two even smaller ones. Because of that, each brand only has so many options of feuds available to them (even if they keep switching wrestlers between face and heel to add a few more possible combinations).

Yes, RAW has had a few wrestlers on the shelf. We know that Emma's returning soon. Meanwhile, Summer's allegedly injured (but she's not exactly missed in the division anyway) and it's becoming increasingly unlikely that Paige is ever coming back. But that's gonna happen in wrestling... As recent years have repeatedly demonstrated, it's happening with the guys all the time. But even after the split, obviously the respective male rosters have the depth to manage any enforced absences. With the women's division, take a few out and you're basically running with Skeleton staff.

For me, one division fighting for one title across both brands would have been the much better option. Sure, the huge downside of that would have probably left Becky waiting a lot longer for her first title reign... But beyond the title, there would have been a whole lot more options for better feuds, rather than feuds being built out of necessity as is often the case right now.

Astonishing Member

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Yep. They called her up in a knee-kerk reaction to Sasha seemingly being out of action for a little while... But then Sasha came back after, what, a couple of weeks? As a result, we got the triple threat to take Bayley out of the title picture and since then, she's had a couple of matches against local talent - and how anyone in creative thought that would maintain her momentum, I have no clue. Likewise, a feud against Dana doesn't exactly build her up... Dana is seen as a rookie herself, arguably moreso than Bayley (despite debuting on the main roster a little earlier), so the expectation would be for Bayley to despatch Dana in pretty short order. So she's kinda on a hiding to nothing... If she wins, it's no big achievement. If she loses (or worse yet, loses clean, thanks to Dana's inexperience) it just makes her look weak.

Having said though, what other options were there? The only other active heel on RAW is Nia Jax (Well, active'ish at least... she's been conspicuous by her absence since CoC). But with the WWE keen on putting her over like this huge unstoppable force, putting Jax in a feud with a woman who already has stopped her - twice - doesn't really help that narrative.

It's things like this (and the merry-go-round of feuds in Smackdown's Women's division) that continue to convince me the women's division should never have have been part of the brand split. It was an already relatively small division which has now been separated into two even smaller ones. Because of that, each brand only has so many options of feuds available to them (even if they keep switching wrestlers between face and heel to add a few more possible combinations).

Yes, RAW has had a few wrestlers on the shelf. We know that Emma's returning soon. Meanwhile, Summer's allegedly injured (but she's not exactly missed in the division anyway) and it's becoming increasingly unlikely that Paige is ever coming back. But that's gonna happen in wrestling... As recent years have repeatedly demonstrated, it's happening with the guys all the time. But even after the split, obviously the respective male rosters have the depth to manage any enforced absences. With the women's division, take a few out and you're basically running with Skeleton staff.

For me, one division fighting for one title across both brands would have been the much better option. Sure, the huge downside of that would have probably left Becky waiting a lot longer for her first title reign... But beyond the title, there would have been a whole lot more options for better feuds, rather than feuds being built out of necessity as is often the case right now.
    Exactly, they jumped the gun on the Sasha thing, and now they've spent all this time trying to essentially reset things to where they were pre-SS. Which means of course that they needed to take Bayley out of the title picture (which is the big reason why she was originally brought up when she was). So she goes from debuting to a huge pop and having tons of momentum with beating Dana repeatedly and also pinning then-champion Charlotte, to eating pin after pin weekly, with her only wins being against random jobbers. And now she's feuding with Dana "the living botch machine" Brooke, who's botch here made Bayley look bad since it looks like she got pinned clean after, well nothing really.

Huh, poor planning, what's that? Also I have little hope that Emma will be taken all that seriously by the audience if her gimmick really does amount to "I'm hot and I have a goofy name" like it appears to right now. Which would be sad because, she really is talented.

And yeah, I was against splitting up the women as well (I would have put the CW's on one brand, the women on another, and the tag teams could float between them).
    Last edited by Punisher007; 10-18-2016 at 03:04 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    -Dana Brooke botches the ending of a match, and makes Bayley look like a chump in the process. And speaking of Bayley, all of her momentum from early on when she debuted, gone now.

-Anderson and Gallows really should just go back to NJPW right now. It's not worth it.

-I see that the CW's are essentially where the Women were during the "Diva's Era." Just through them out there during the show's dead slot with little to no buildup, so that the fans can have their bathroom break match. So disappointing.

-I'm really tired of Stephanie being able to browbeat/humiliate the talent constantly and suffer zero consequences for it. She wasn't needed tonight.

-Remind me again why we should boo Rusev again? He's built like a tank, has a gorgeous wife, and loves said wife, his mom, and his country, and he's hilarious to boot. Meanwhile Roman is a smug jerk who makes petty insults that 8-year olds on the playground would find to be immature.

-Goldberg's return was cool, but I know that he's just going to get jobbed out to Brock like everyone else, which I'm also sick of TBH.
    Agreed on just about every point.

I'm not sure how Rusev is even supposed to be a heel at this point. The man did a "family promo" and has an awesome Wolverine beard! Why is he even getting booed?

I hope Goldberg didn't come back just to job to Lesnar though. The whole Lesnar squash everyone thing is kind of boring now.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed on just about every point.

I'm not sure how Rusev is even supposed to be a heel at this point. The man did a "family promo" and has an awesome Wolverine beard! Why is he even getting booed?

I hope Goldberg didn't come back just to job to Lesnar though. The whole Lesnar squash everyone thing is kind of boring now.
    Rusev being anti-american is a pretty big part of him being booed. When 99% of the WWE's events occur in the US, and 99% or Rusev's promo's begin and end with the phrase "stupid americans" that's gonna happen.

As far as Goldberg putting over Lesnar... if Goldberg didn't win their first match I'd say Goldberg would be a lock to win. But given that he did, I think giving them both one victory a piece makes sense, especially if Lesnar likely is going to stick around and Goldberg isn't.

Incredible Member

Looks like Charlotte vs Sasha is main eventing.

Seems to be official given that Foley talks about it on FB.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Ultimate Member

So according to Mick Foley, Sasha vs. Charlotte is main-eventing HIAC. They HAVE to have something big/special planned for the match if this is the case.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I really hate how they are building Sasha vs Charlotte. Jericho was right in his opening promo on Raw. HIAC shouldn't be treated as a reward. HIAC was supposed as the end all for the most heated of rivalries. I don't get that out of Sasha and Charlotte even taking their NXT history into account. The whole thing just reeks of Stephanie wanting to get some progressive brownie points. Honestly, Carmella vs Nikki deserves the cell more than they do.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

They (that being Sasha and Charlotte) don't know any better. They don't realize what they're in for. By the 31st, they'll be singing a very different tune.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Astonishing Member

Mighty Member

Fast fact: Goldberg was Color on almost all of the Elite XC shows with Mauro.

He also holds the record for not only being the first guy to ride on Brock's nuts after wining his first MMA match with Min Soo Kim, but also holds the most classless title after completely blowing off the Sakuraba/Royce rematch while proclaiming Brock's weak win "Proved Pro Wrestling Was Real."

Again, if I was WWE roster, I'd start trying to get Quack's, Joey Ryan or Kidani's phone number right now.
    INGOBERNABLES de INTER-WEB

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    They (that being Sasha and Charlotte) don't know any better. They don't realize what they're in for. By the 31st, they'll be singing a very different tune.
    Ah. Another "If UFC did it..." type project.

Problem is you got nobody there who wants to build up the gals just like the guys. No one there with an Egalitarian viewpoint. It's all brownie points and "philathopy".

I seriously hope they don't find out about Amanda Nunes. That's going to turn ugly if they did.
    INGOBERNABLES de INTER-WEB

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Ah. Another "If UFC did it..." type project.

Problem is you got nobody there who wants to build up the gals just like the guys. No one there with an Egalitarian viewpoint. It's all brownie points and "philathopy".

I seriously hope they don't find out about Amanda Nunes. That's going to turn ugly if they did.
    do you mean "philanthropy"?