Thread: Wrestling WWE

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    joe just main evented a PPV with roman so.........idk.

imagine if they pushed somebody the crowds actually liked(crazy i know), i'd wager they'd start moving even more merch and i see no reason why roman would stop selling merch w/o the megapush.

also if house shows are down who gives a **** if he's selling merch??

i doubt it but even if it did at least they wouldn't be pissed until after the main event rather than walking out on it.

how many matches has okada had in those 2 years though?? he probably had more G-1 matches than brock had matches period.
    Joe main evented a PPV with Roman Reigns. With all due respect to Joe, the fact that he was in the main event had more to do with Roman than Joe. Roman is often in the main event no matter what. Joe just happened to be the guy he was wrestling.

And if Roman is selling merchandise, then odds are pretty good a good portion of the WWE universe actually likes him too.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Joe main evented a PPV with Roman Reigns. With all due respect to Joe, the fact that he was in the main event had more to do with Roman than Joe. Roman is often in the main event no matter what. Joe just happened to be the guy he was wrestling.

And if Roman is selling merchandise, then odds are pretty good a good portion of the WWE universe actually likes him too.
    still for the time being he's gotten higher profile treatment, before that owens and zayne were getting the same.

allow me to rephrase, imagine if they gave roman's push to somebody the crowd didn't walk out on their matches(crazy i know), i'd wager they'd start moving even more merch and i see no reason why roman would stop selling merch w/o the megapush.

still for the time being he's gotten higher profile treatment, before that owens and zayne were getting the same.

allow me to rephrase, imagine if they gave roman's push to somebody the crowd didn't walk out on their matches(crazy i know), i'd wager they'd start moving even more merch and i see no reason why roman would stop selling merch w/o the megapush.

Again, I question the conclusion that Joe is being given higher profile treatment based solely on the fact that he was in the main event against Roman Reigns. If Tye Dillanger was scheduled to face Roman it's entirely possible he would be in the main event. It had less to do with Joe and more to do with Roman. Joe just happened to be there. Not saying Joe isn't a main event level performer... but Roman right now is THE main event performer.

And house shows being down doesn't mean people are less interested in Roman... it means people are less interested in seeing the WWE. It's not like Roman is the only guy showing up to work at those things. Unlike merchansize you can't purely put the credit or the blame solely on one guy. That's more a group effort. But with merch, if a guy buys a Roman shirt it's purely an indicator of their desire to support Roman.

Again, I question the conclusion that Joe is being given higher profile treatment based solely on the fact that he was in the main event against Roman Reigns. If Tye Dillanger was scheduled to face Roman it's entirely possible he would be in the main event. It had less to do with Joe and more to do with Roman. Joe just happened to be there. Not saying Joe isn't a main event level performer... but Roman right now is THE main event performer.
    and in that case tye would be getting higher profile treatment than AJ for the time being.

And house shows being down doesn't mean people are less interested in Roman... it means people are less interested in seeing the WWE. It's not like Roman is the only guy showing up to work at those things. Unlike merchansize you can't purely put the credit or the blame solely on one guy. That's more a group effort. But with merch, if a guy buys a Roman shirt it's purely an indicator of their desire to support Roman.
    in both cases i don't think you can purely put the blame or credit, but you can for the most part. for the most part house show attendance is on the main eventer and for the most part merch sales is on the wrestler. but in both cases it's also somewhat a group effort. you can't give roman 100% credit for his merch sales, a lot of guys would sell that kind of merch with that kind of push imo, **** AJ's doing it and he's getting kicked in the balls every week.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

LOL. dude just think about that for a second...

also i don't think it's possible to **** on a match more than by walking out on it.
    Most walked out after that match was over. The match still had a winner all things considered. There is no universe out there that will lead me to believe that fans will be happy with a match that ended in a double KO to end the show. Especially not when the same match had a similar finished just a week prior.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpac
    I doubt that matters. Rusev Day merchandise is selling like hotcakes and what is the company doing with him? Let us not forget the tragic case of Zack Ryder.

and in that case tye would be getting higher profile treatment than AJ for the time being.

in both cases i don't think you can purely put the blame or credit, but you can for the most part. for the most part house show attendance is on the main eventer and for the most part merch sales is on the wrestler. but in both cases it's also somewhat a group effort. you can't give roman 100% credit for his merch sales, a lot of guys would sell that kind of merch with that kind of push imo, **** AJ's doing it and he's getting kicked in the balls every week.
    Tye would be getting higher treatment because he's in there with the biggest star in the company on the RAW brand. Again, my point was AJ is as high profile as any Smackdown competitiors, which is the B brand. To argue that a different Smackdown competitor would be higher profile than him by being in a match against a top competitor on the RAW brand is sort of missing the point. Tye being in that position doesn't actually make Tye a higher profile star than AJ... it just means he happens to be wrestling with ROman, who is a higher profile Star than AJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Most walked out after that match was over. The match still had a winner all things considered. There is no universe out there that will lead me to believe that fans will be happy with a match that ended in a double KO to end the show. Especially not when the same match had a similar finished just a week prior.

I doubt that matters. Rusev Day merchandise is selling like hotcakes and what is the company doing with him? Let us not forget the tragic case of Zack Ryder.
    THe Rusev day thing could be a fluke though. If he can sustain that, I think he'll be pushed. He's not winning a lot of matches, but he's being used more often in higher profile positions than he was in prior to the Rusev Day thing taking off. If this thing as legs, I think he could end up being a break out star. He beat Daniel Bryan clean to get into MITB, it's a start.

But the flip side being on any given the day the audience might stop and realize that the whole Rusev Day thing honestly isn't that funny, and it could end right there. We'll see.
    Last edited by XPac; 05-10-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

With the announcement that Jim Cornette will be on Dave Meltzer's show , I decided to do something that has been on my mind awhile. I'm gonna e-mail Meltzer and bring up the whole Smokey Mountain Wrestling deal where Gyphon said a source who worked for WWF then had cost Vince money which was weeks ago. Hopefully he e-mails me back or brings it up. Because I have looked online for awhile and nothing has been mentioned and all. So if anyone would know ...its Meltzer.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I am late to the party but I gotta say, that backlash PPV was complete garbage in my opinion. That was easily one of the worst PPV WWE has put on in quite a while, they should have just scrapped it and just had the GRR and then do Money in the Bank in June.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 05-10-2018 at 10:19 AM.

To paraphrase Mel Brooks: "Merch! Where the real money in wrestling is made!"

The reason Roman is a top merch seller is because he is popular with kids mostly. They are the ones asking their parents to buy them Roman merch at live events and stuff. It's just like Cena merch sells mostly to kids and some adults.

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    So, who's going to take her place in MITB?
    Truthfully she doesn't need to be in that match. It's not like Charlotte needs MitB.

I assume there was going to be 2 faces and 2 heels from each brand, and the likely Smackdown face candidates would be Asuka and Charlotte. But Becky or Niaomi could do in a pinch.
    It doesn't sound like she'll be missing the PPV or much of Europe either. That tells me that this is a minor surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    I am late to the party but I gotta say, that backlash PPV was complete garbage in my opinion. That was easily one of the worst PPV WWE has put on in quite a while, they should have just scrapped it and just had the GRR and then do Money and the Back in June.
    I agree. GRR should've been the PPV. No Backlash.

Also, there are reports of Vince getting really upset and was stunned to see people leave during the Roman match. That he values the NJ/NY crowd more than any and it's sobered him up on what to do.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-10-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It doesn't sounds like she'll be missing the PPV or much of Europe either. That tells me that this is a minor surgery.

I agree. GRR should've been the PPV. No Backlash.

Also, there are reports of Vince getting really upset and was stunned to see people leave during the Roman match. That he values the NJ/NY crowd more than any and it's sobered him up on what to do.
    It seems he is never going to give up his attempts to get the fans 100% behind Roman. Maybe when Vince takes a step back from WWE when the XFL starts up in 2020, things in WWE will chance (slightly).

As for WWE house show ticket sales being down, that can't be blamed on Roman. A lot of people skip house shows because nothing really exciting or awesome happens there. The wrestlers aren't going to go all out for house shows to avoid injuries and such so it's not really their falut either for generic matches. Televised events are always more appealing because there is storyline progression and generally more entertaining things happen. In order to boost house show ticket sales, maybe WWE should do like they did in the attitude era and create a title like the Hardcore belt that would constantly change hands or in general allow some title changes to take place a some house shows.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    As for WWE house show ticket sales being down, that can't be blamed on Roman. A lot of people skip house shows because nothing really exciting or awesome happens there. The wrestlers aren't going to go all out for house shows to avoid injuries and such so it's not really their falut either for generic matches. Televised events are always more appealing because there is storyline progression and generally more entertaining things happen. In order to boost house show ticket sales, maybe WWE should do like they did in the attitude era and create a title like the Hardcore belt that would constantly change hands or in general allow some title changes to take place a some house shows.
    They used to do these changes at house shows back in 1990's and air the clips on TV of the title change. But yeah house shows being down has happened a lot the last 30+ years for both WWF/E and WCW. Cause like you posted people wanna go see TV where things happen.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.