Thread: Wrestling WWE

Quote Originally Posted by WraizeM View Post
    If Roman is going to be the face of the company he is going to get as much hate as Cena does if not more, you are the top guy at a billion dollar company so people are going to hate backstage plus fans are going to hate because the person they like best isn’t he top dog. I don’t blame wrestlers but writers.
    I said this before, but I think ROman is the new Cena, and Braun will be the new Roman.

Give it 2 years or so, and Braun will probably be the world champion and the top face. And then a lot of the fans currently calling for him to be pushed instead of Roman will in turn argue that someone else should be pushed instead of Braun. We'll get the same complaints we got with Cena and Roman. They'll cite that Braun is being pushed because of Vinces big man fetish, at the expense of other wrestlers that people in the net will cite as much better workers.

Basically that sort of criticism is inevtriably unless the champ happens to be a smaller "indy guy" with a rep for being a good worker. And on a personal level I'm fine with people wishing for those sort of guys to be pushed because I typically prefer them too. I just wish people would remember that Cena, Roman and Braun weren't that before they got the top position, rather than complaining about it after they were supporting them to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    yeah, that's roman. at what point did i say that will work for everybody??

roman is good enough to get over when pushed consistently for years

and just like a zack ryder he did it all without the WWE marketing machine completely behind him too.
    No, Roman was good enough to get over to get a push. You don't to the position to be the top face without being over in the first place. He got over, so they gave him the ball. He stayed over, so they kept giving him the ball. He's there because he generates enough money to stay there. And that will change if/when he stops generating enough money to justify that. Not everyone the WWE pushes can become a top face and the top merch seller for the company... but Roman clearly can and did. It's simply a matter of fact.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    No, Roman was good enough to get over to get a push. You don't to the position to be the top face without being over in the first place. He got over, so they gave him the ball. He stayed over, so they kept giving him the ball. He's there because he generates enough money to stay there. And that will change if/when he stops generating enough money to justify that. Not everyone the WWE pushes can become a top face and the top merch seller for the company... but Roman clearly can and did. It's simply a matter of fact.
    roman got a push right out of the gate. he and the rest of the shield ALL got over but he was the guy they saw as cena's replacement. roman's main event push has been going for 4yrs now, and he's not the top merch seller, cena is and last i heard it wasn't all that close.

for the record i think roman is a good talent, could possibly be a great heel. i prefer him over strowman.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 05-13-2018 at 05:53 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Roman keeps getting the ball because from a corporate perceptive he's the everything someone wants in "the guy". He would be an easy guy to sell to Fox or whatever company dumb enough to overpay for WWE content to have on their networks. Nevermind the fact he's never connected with fans, keeps getting boo'd out of buildings, and getting record low TV ratings.

roman got a push right out of the gate. he and the rest of the shield ALL got over but he was the guy they saw as cena's replacement. roman's main event push has been going for 4yrs now, and he's not the top merch seller, cena is and last i heard it wasn't all that close.

for the record i think roman is a good talent, could possibly be a great heel. i prefer him over strowman.
    He got a push as part of a group sure... but he didn't get a single push. If anything initially Seth and Roman were the tag team while Dean was the singles guy. But Roman stood out.

And yes... Roman isn't the top merchandise seller. He's just the top seller of the full timers. I don't think any full timer on the roster is going to outsell Cena in terms of merch, because Cena is one of the few people who has transcended the wrestling business. And he's also been on top longer than anyone in the modern era in the WWE. If the biggest knock against Roman as the top guy is that he can't outsell Cena in merch, then he's in pretty good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Roman keeps getting the ball because from a corporate perceptive he's the everything someone wants in "the guy". He would be an easy guy to sell to Fox or whatever company dumb enough to overpay for WWE content to have on their networks. Nevermind the fact he's never connected with fans, keeps getting boo'd out of buildings, and getting record low TV ratings.
    If he's the top selling merch guy for the full timers, then he is connecting with the fans. That's the point. Fans are willing to invest their money in him.

Yes, he is easy to sell. He's an action figure come to life. And frankly the same is true for Braun. It's why he's also getting a monster push even though he's not a great worker. Corporate pushes people like this who they believe the general masses will invest their money in. And they were right about Roman just like they were right about Cena and Warrior and Hogan. And they're probably right about Braun. There's a reason corporat and networks get behind characters like that... because they justifiably believe characters like that can draw money.

BANNED

stock is up a chunk from last year

company is coming off its most profitable quarter in company history, and this quarter looks to be tracking nicely

and it looks like NBC/Universal is going to pony up the dough

All In sold out in less than an hour

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This I believe is a couple years old. But Jim Cornette discussed Ian Rotten (not Axl who passed away a couple years ago) but Ian and I'll post a video below of him. Anyhow he discussed how Ian Rotten ruined Kentucky indie wrestling and the story behind that.

- Kentucky due to its athletic commission has some of the worst rules regarding violence , blood (not even a bloody nose can happen by accident...a match has to stop !) and imagine the impact its has on little OVW running there at times. If you advertise a wrestler who isn't licensed you as a promoter can lose your promoters license. There are rules on the wrestling ring , how far the guard rails can be from the ring etc. A wrestler can't even go into the crowd to even high five a fan or that wrestler and promoter could be in danger of losing promoters license.

Its on and on with rules and regulations.

- What caused this ....Ian Rotten and his promotion came to Louisville with his garbage hardcore wrestling. Ian as Jim claims has Hep C and its due to bleeding on every continent and he was fired from Taco Bell due to this. Pictures in the local newspaper of Ian bleeding and others bleeding in his company gave it exposure there . They had pictures of a show at a local skating rink with 200+ folks in attendance and wrestlers bleeding into the crowd etc.

- You had to be licensed in Kentucky at one point and pay a sales tax each year which used to be the norm for 50 years in the state. Anyhow they saw what Ian was doing and demanded he come to Frankfurt and answer for this. Ian decided to cut a promo on the athletic board and that went bad as they revoked his promoters and wrestling license in quick fashion. They'd have taken his drivers license too if they could as Jim joked.

Ian went back to Indiana to run shows , but the effect in Kentucky was this. Also for a long time you couldn't run the armory's in Kentucky and even now you can't run schools in the state due to what was shown by Ian Rotten. Due to fear of what could happen. But the rules and regulations have hurt.

- The WWE itself has struggled with Kentucky and its athletic board and held a PPV there in Lexington years earlier. As one rule there you can't have blood or blading as he mentioned. HHH in a match right in front of the Commissioner decided during the PPV to make himself bleed. Which pissed him off as he was wanting after it to yank the WWE's promoters license in Kentucky and fine them $50,000. Anyhow the folks in Frankfurt told him no , the WWE pays way too much taxes to us when they run here and didn't do that.

But after this the WWE and Kentucky Athletic board have been having a fight back n forth . At the time of this video (no clue if its changed or when this video aired) Cornette brings up that the WWE hasn't ran shows or PPV's in Kentucky since due to this.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Some people are gettin' really salty on Twitter if you bring up that scalpers probably bought a lot of the All In tickets. Also seems like the press conference was a bit of a mess. One would think acting like ultra-defensive gate-keepers for "true pro-wrestling fans" would be a rather unwise tactic if you wanted to get eyes on this show that aren't jaded Bullet Club Davidians, but hey, I'm just a stupid mark who doesn't have a podcast, so... /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Some people are gettin' really salty on Twitter if you bring up that scalpers probably bought a lot of the All In tickets. Also seems like the press conference was a bit of a mess. One would think acting like ultra-defensive gate-keepers for "true pro-wrestling fans" would be a rather unwise tactic if you wanted to get eyes on this show that aren't jaded Bullet Club Davidians, but hey, I'm just a stupid mark who doesn't have a podcast, so... /shrug
    They don't want the sales to be discredited has this sell out is a major achievement for indie wrestling. Never mind the fact that couple of those tickets ended up on sites like stubhub a few minutes after the sell out.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Sounds more like they can't take the same **** they've been dishing out when they go after WWE crowds at times. Probably more than a "couple" tickets'll end up on the second-party sites like StubHub the closer to September we get just so the scalpers can fleece the marks. It may end up being easier to show up the day of the event and score a really cheap ticket, who the hell knows. The defensiveness on Twitter throughout today has been pretty fun to watch, though.

I saw a couple hundred tickets for the event on StubhHub and Seat Geek for double the original ticket prices. I would be heavily be suspect of the sell out when the only confirmed match is Cody vs Magus for the NWA title. The confirmed performers are guys who regularly compete in RoH/NJPW.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

roman was pushed far too early in his career to be "the guy". he had no character, his in-ring work was below average at best, and his promos were...........well, we know the memes.

he has gotten better in a lot of areas. it's just a shame there are a lot of other guys who are better than him that people want to see in in the main event.

also, another point about roman and why his push is failing: forced moments. moments where a crowd can connect with a wrestler on a very emotional level. not only has roman not had this moment but they keep trying to create this moments so the crowd can get behind him. his whole "anti-establishment" thing just doesn't fit with roman as opposed to guys like austin, punk, DB and dean. mostly because the company has been pushing him so damn hard, it's hard to believe that the company is against him, which i found so funny when he called brock "vince's boy".

damnit. now i really wanna do a vid on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    roman was pushed far too early in his career to be "the guy". he had no character, his in-ring work was below average at best, and his promos were...........well, we know the memes.

he has gotten better in a lot of areas. it's just a shame there are a lot of other guys who are better than him that people want to see in in the main event.

also, another point about roman and why his push is failing: forced moments. moments where a crowd can connect with a wrestler on a very emotional level. not only has roman not had this moment but they keep trying to create this moments so the crowd can get behind him. his whole "anti-establishment" thing just doesn't fit with roman as opposed to guys like austin, punk, DB and dean. mostly because the company has been pushing him so damn hard, it's hard to believe that the company is against him, which i found so funny when he called brock "vince's boy".

damnit. now i really wanna do a vid on this topic.
    I'd agree Roman was pushed too early... I think the problem is they're probably making the same mistake with Braun as he's greener than Roman is (IMO at least).

I do however think calling Brock "Vinces" boy is legit given Brock shows up to work like 6 times a year for lord only knows how many millions of dollars a year. Any wrestler in the lockeroom has valid reason to call Brock out on that.