Thread: Wrestling WWE

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    New Japan puts out 21 hours of quality for the last 10+ years during G1, FYI. We don't get to see most of it in the US till last year. When I was in Japan during G-1 2 years ago ... their media presence was akin to WM for 7 weeks.

I just don't think most promotions have the $$$ do that at the level and duration WWE does.

Give CHIKARA, DGUSA, etc. some money and I bet you see a change.
    right, during the G1, a 6 week period once a year

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

New Japan has other tournaments. Battle of the Super Juniors, New Japan Cup, World Tag League.

BANNED

my point is that its not the harrowing schedule the WWE works - they do WrestleKingdom, New Years Dash, then take 2 full weeks off, do 3 weeks of shows, then another 2 weeks off and so n

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    New Japan puts out 21 hours of quality for the last 10+ years during G1, FYI. We don't get to see most of it in the US till last year. When I was in Japan during G-1 2 years ago ... their media presence was akin to WM for 7 weeks.

I just don't think most promotions have the $$$ do that at the level and duration WWE does.

Give CHIKARA, DGUSA, etc. some money and I bet you see a change.
    It's very hard to create 8 plus hours of content each week.

But I think it's even harder to create enough demand for the product to justify creating 8 plus hours of content each week. Even if Chikara had the resources to create that much TV, would their fan base honestly be interested in that much wrestling on a weekly basis? Maybe for some sort of event, like a tournament or something like New Japan does, but I don't know if they'd hand hours and hours of TV every week.

For anyone other than the WWE, it's probably overkill. Heck, it's arguably overkill even for the WWE. For most promotion 2 hours a week is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    And he did in fact do exactly what you expected him to do ... called Jinder out, and when he didn't come out fought him face to face backstage. It's the first thing he did at least.
    oh, my bad. for some reason i thought he blindsided jinger backstage to begin the beatdown. yeah i really don't see the problem there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    AJ has literally been the focus of SDL ever since he went there along with having two long title reigns and never losing a single feud. Him getting popped in the balls doesn't even come close to diminishing how heavy his push on SDL has been. :/
    that's a whole other topic, and imo AJ is good enough that it doesn't matter but honestly the groin shot thing reached the point of becoming comedic a little while back.

that said my point is that they don't worry about AJ looking weak, you wouldn't see that happening to roman though because they put far more effort into how he's portrayed. i'd bet money if AJ had the kind of push roman has had on the A-show he'd be easily outselling roman and have much more crowd support.

Never claimed to be "objective" there, champ.
    oh, well in that case thanks for the confirmation. it actually makes things that much more amusing, sport.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    half the field for the UK tourney announced today

new faces with the exception of Jack Gallagher and 1 guy from last year (cant recall his name)
    glad to see mastiff, always liked him, and ligero. hope mark haskins, timothy thatcher, and ryan smile get in too. also i think doug williams could have a brian kendrick in the CWC like story if he's in and last but not least i think mikey whiplash in full leather skirt & fishnets stockings gear could be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    WWE is getting most of their revenue from TV deals. As long as they can provide content for whatever network or service who wants it the quality of the actual product matters little. It's likely why this current era is not reliant on stars like previous generations.
    but roman merch has to be a close 2nd biggest revenue source right??
    Last edited by BigLbo; 05-18-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    My recollection of the SHIELD was that Seth and Rollins were the tag guys, while Dean was the singles guy as Dean won singles gold while the other two won the tag straps. In most stable formulas the guy who wins the singles gold is the MAIN guy while the tag team in the group is support. But I think Roman stood out an shifted to the forefront.
    dont you mean seth and roman LOL
    seth and rollins sounds like a law firm
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Mauro Ranallo has his own theme

This is better than what most wrestlers get lol

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    that's a whole other topic, and imo AJ is good enough that it doesn't matter but honestly the groin shot thing reached the point of becoming comedic a little while back.

that said my point is that they don't worry about AJ looking weak, you wouldn't see that happening to roman though because they put far more effort into how he's portrayed. i'd bet money if AJ had the kind of push roman has had on the A-show he'd be easily outselling roman and have much more crowd support.
    If AJ were booked like Roman has been booked for the past year, they'd be calling him a loser.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I just bought all of Smackdown 2002, all the shows, on DVD.

2002 was year the Kurt Angle really hit his prime. He had the fastest learning curve I've seen in wrestling and 2002 and 2003 were his peaks. Healthy and fast and brilliant in the ring.

Angle, Benoit, Edge, Guerrero, Rey...what a time it was. Never had I saw such great matches for free on TV.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Drew Gulak is in the UK championship tournament. If he wins, the UK will became the 51st state of the US.
    https://twitter.com/DrewGulak/status/997513544815038464

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Drew Gulak is in the UK championship tournament. If he wins, the UK will became the 51st state of the US.
    https://twitter.com/DrewGulak/status/997513544815038464
    I'll bet Russo is just kicking himself for not thinking of this sort of match. He could have created the first ever UK on a pole match in tna.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    EXACTLY

and this is what bugs me when people try to compare WWE to other promotions

what other promotions are generating 5-8 hours of new/live content WEEKLY

any other promotion couldn't do that, much less put out a quality product

What other promotion has the embarrassment of talented workers that the WWE currently has (and are under-utilizing)?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    What other promotion has the embarrassment of talented workers that the WWE currently has (and are under-utilizing)?
    Bingo. This is I why I haven't watched WWE since like 2004 or 2005. I just watch the older stuff and some stuff from TNA and Japan and ROH.

I'm sure I'm offending CBR's many Icelandic posters.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-18-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Impact. They have a history of shafting their homegrown talent for WWE scraps.

Astonishing Member

its time to go
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player