Thread: Wrestling WWE

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The jury ruled in Punk and Cabana's favor. They won the trial.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's really really tough to say.

There's no doubt whatsoever that the Montreal Screwjob didn't help turn things around. The McMahon character (along with obviously the Austin character) was the angle which really got things rolling for the WWE.

But then again, WCW historically is known for shooting itself in the foot. I think it's entirely possible if Vince was just able to hold on, WCW would end up losing all by itself without Vince even having to "beat" them. I think you can make the argument that Vince didn't need to beat WCW... he just needed to survive long enough for WCW to beat itself.

But regardless, Montreal Screwjob ended up benefiting WWE a lot. In hindsight at least, it was clearly the best possible outcome for the WWE.
    I agree actually, but remember that Vince had been flirting with bankruptcy again before Austin/Vince took off. WCW really didn't shoot themselves in the foot until the latter half of '98 when they hotshotted Goldberg/Hogan on Nitro out of desperation along with Nash ending the streak at Starrcade(yeah, Hogan/Sting the year before was really bad, but Goldberg's ascension helped them recover from that). No Austin/Vince probably means WCW doesn't panic and do either of those things.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The jury ruled in Punk and Cabana's favor. They won the trial.
    Yeah the entire thing became a debacle as the WWE doctor's lawyer tried at one point to trick AJ Lee up and she stood firm and had to correct him 2-3 times. Everyone could see what he was trying and it failed.

The WWE I expect will likely let this guy go in a couple months.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Yeah Punk's no angel in this and he likely over-reacted to the lump sure on the podcast. But the doctor here claims he suffered from this and he admitted he suffered nothing negative job wise from it and he'd joke with wrestlers about this after it. This was like some cash in attempt and its only brought him negative attention. I have to think he'll be quietly fired after the case is over.
    Doubtful since WWE was the one funding Amman's legal team in the first place.

Astonishing Member

If anyone cares, Drop the Mic this week has the cast of GLOW vs. WWE Divas (Bellas, Natalya, Alicia, Carmella) and Chris Jericho vs. Laila Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Part of me wished Amman would have hired Otunga as his lawyer. Not that it necessarily would have led to a better outcome but it would have been funny.

If anyone cares, Drop the Mic this week has the cast of GLOW vs. WWE Divas (Bellas, Natalya, Alicia, Carmella) and Chris Jericho vs. Laila Ali.
    Drop the Mic has been getting worse, but I'll watch this one for Jericho. Although, if we're having rap battles with WWE superstars, shouldn't John Cena be part of it, rather than his ex-g/f being part of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Drop the Mic has been getting worse, but I'll watch this one for Jericho. Although, if we're having rap battles with WWE superstars, shouldn't John Cena be part of it, rather than his ex-g/f being part of it?
    I think these things actually tend to have more entertainment value when they aren't necessarily good at it.

looks like impact is moving towards mending fences with NJPW. you could kind of see it coming once don callis got into his position with the company.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well it was never confirmed the WWE was funding it. They never denied it , Punk claims they were looking to bleed him dry money wise for it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/cm-punk-win...233757248.html

The WWE itself now comes across worse as a result as Amman as the report claims and its likely he'll be made to pay the price for some infractions like prescribing prescriptions to Punk and not writing them down. The WWE getting informed by him that Punk suffered what he believed was a concussion. So if they did fund this , boy oh boy they come across not so well . There will be a fall guy and likely its gonna be Dr. Amman.

I expect it to happen in a couple months really. That the company will have him fired and say that due to issues they have moved on from the doctor. But the case likely seals his fate.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Mighty Member

INGOBERNABLES de INTER-WEB

Astonishing Member

is lars Sullivan the right guy?
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Given Bret was essentially being unprofessional enough to refust to drop the title at Survivor Series, Vince in this specific case had reason not to give Bret the benefit of the doubt.

That said, I'll say again in hindsight things worked out for the best the way things went down. The screwjob ended up making both Vince and Bret arguably the two most talked about people in all of wrestling. The only difference is Vince was able to capitalize on the screwjob, and Bret (due to miserable WCW booking) was not.
    No Bret wasn't being unprofessional. He didn't refuse to drop the belt, he refused to drop it to Shawn in Canada, which was well within his right since he had creative control in his contract. He and Vince had to agree on things, essentially Vince was no longer his boss by that point. Also there were other options floated, and there was NOTHING in Bret's history to point to him ever leaving with the belt, absolutely NOTHING!! Not to mention that Shawn was a miserable person back then and a nightmare to work with.

However, Vince screwing people over WAS well-established even back then. He pulled a screwjob on Wendi Richter back in the day (look up the "Original Screwjob" for further evidence) which led to a decades-long estrangement of Wendi from WWE. And he convince Ric Flair to show up on WWE TV holding another company's title belt. So he's a liar and a hypocrite if he claims that his hands are clean in this area.

Now could it have been handled better by everyone, sure. But with all of the facts, I'm very much on Bret's side in this and always will be. Vince and Shawn had FAR more sketchy track records (and a habit of changing the narrative when it suits them) than Bret does.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No Bret wasn't being unprofessional. He didn't refuse to drop the belt, he refused to drop it to Shawn in Canada, which was well within his right since he had creative control in his contract. He and Vince had to agree on things, essentially Vince was no longer his boss by that point. Also there were other options floated, and there was NOTHING in Bret's history to point to him ever leaving with the belt, absolutely NOTHING!! Not to mention that Shawn was a miserable person back then and a nightmare to work with.

However, Vince screwing people over WAS well-established even back then. He pulled a screwjob on Wendi Richter back in the day (look up the "Original Screwjob" for further evidence) which led to a decades-long estrangement of Wendi from WWE. And he convince Ric Flair to show up on WWE TV holding another company's title belt. So he's a liar and a hypocrite if he claims that his hands are clean in this area.

Now could it have been handled better by everyone, sure. But with all of the facts, I'm very much on Bret's side in this and always will be. Vince and Shawn had FAR more sketchy track records (and a habit of changing the narrative when it suits them) than Bret does.
    The Ric Flair situation is different. At that the time Flair had ownership of the physical belt. When he appeared on WWF television with the belt he was billed as being the "real" world champion. Vince didn't bury the NWA world title while he had it. I'm sure Bischoff would have Bret throw the WWF title in a dumpster fire.

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

Jericho has a great podcast (Talk is Jericho) episode dedicated to the Montreal Screwjob for its 20th anniversary which goes into a lot of details about the backstage politics, personal and professional rivalry and feuding, the Monday Night Wars effect on it, what that night eventually led into which ironically happened to be great for Vince and Austin and a bad blessing for Bret and WCW, etc.

Check it out if you get the chance.