Extraordinary Member

Default 10 Cringiest Tropes In Teen TV Shows

CBR lists their top 10 cringiest tropes in teen tv shows. I pretty much agree with all of these - especially #1.

https://www.cbr.com/cringey-teen-tv-...s-for-students

10. Unrealistic Clothes For Students
    09. Prom As The Ultimate High School Experience
    08. High School Hierarchies & Cliques
    07. The Pick-Me/I'm A Different Person
    06. Love Triangles
    05. Physical Perfection
    04. The Newcomer
    03. Ugly Ducklings
    02. Backstabbing Best Friends
    01. Everyone Is An Ivy League Overachiever

11. Suddenly discovering your Native-American heritage.

I'm not saying no music is timeless or that there aren't songs or musical eras that have their kitsch or retro appeal in modern times, but it kind of takes me out of a teen show when they use music that was clearly selected by people at least 2 or 3 times a teen's age. Even more when they work it into the show, like whenever they have a high school dance or something.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

When teenagers talk about relationships as if they were middle age adults. Teenagers are awkward and dating is a tricky, difficult and scary thing. They shouldn't sound like jaded adults with years of experience.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

All 'spontaneous' choregraphed dancing would/should take weeks and weeks of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    I'm not saying no music is timeless or that there aren't songs or musical eras that have their kitsch or retro appeal in modern times, but it kind of takes me out of a teen show when they use music that was clearly selected by people at least 2 or 3 times a teen's age. Even more when they work it into the show, like whenever they have a high school dance or something.
    Not music but similar issue. When teenagers know about or are interested in things that are clearly before their time but the writer was probably a teenager when said things were a big deal.

For instance, Buffy Summers told Angel how she was fascinated by Dorothy Hamill when Buffy was growing up, how she watched her skate and thought she was the greatest.

Dorothy Hamill's heyday was about 1980, the year Buffy was born or the year after. If she watched Hamill skate, it was reruns on some sports channel. Not impossible. But the characters frequently showed an unusual knowledge of things well before their time.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

All school administrators, police agencies and government agencies are corrupt or stupid, or both. Parents non existent as competent.