Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Niffleheim

Default At CinemaCon Sony’s Tom Rothman said "Streamers Don’t Create Movie Stars"

1. Sony’s Tom Rothman Strikes Again at CinemaCon: “Streamers Don’t Create Movie Stars, Only Global Hit Movies Do”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo..._medium=social

2. New National Research Group survey asked moviegoers to name the actors they'd be most likely to see in theaters

Among the top 20 actors:
    - avg age is 57.5
    - two are in their 80s
    - none are under 35
    - only one is under 40 (it's Chris Hemsworth—and he turns 40 in August)

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1650472355842367490

The article is behind a paywall.
    https://puck.news/only-old-movie-sta...to-moviegoers/

Sony’s Tom Rothman is right in saying that streamers don't create movie stars but the same can be said about the modern movie studios not creating bankable movie stars.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member

No Problem. In the future the cgi is so damn good, you can see Tom Cruise forever young in totally new movies, even after his death.

Okay Boomer.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

He's not lying but yeah like the op said. Movie studios stopped investing in creating stars themselves. They want brand to be everything. Then you got these ppl who say they don't like stars. Cuz they want actors to be blank slates they can self insert to. Why they were taken seriously? Who knows. Surprised Vin Diesel didn't make the list.

Jenna Ortega might be the exception tho. I think Scream had a big opening because of her.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 04-25-2023 at 08:24 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Jenna Ortega, Millie Bobby Brown and Bella Ramsey say hi. Sure they are not movie stars but they have become big names thanks to streaming. I'm more of a TV guy anyway.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    He's not lying but yeah like the op said. Movie studios stopped investing in creating stars themselves. They want brand to be everything. Then you got these ppl who say they don't like stars. Cuz they want actors to be blank slates they can self insert to. Why they were taken seriously? Who knows. Surprised Vin Diesel didn't make the list.

Jenna Ortega might be the exception tho. I think Scream had a big opening because of her.
    wouldn't the above mentioned be considered as tv or streaming stars more than movie stars?
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Hollywood is probably happy with less "movie stars" because then they don't have to fork out as much money.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    wouldn't the above mentioned be considered as tv or streaming stars more than movie stars?
    Who Tom Cruise an dem? Nah. I was saying Jenna might be an exception cuz Scream did pretty good .

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Hollywood is probably happy with less "movie stars" because then they don't have to fork out as much money.
    Definitely. New Hollywood mantra seems to be "It's the age of IPs" while old Hollywood bemoans "the death of cinema"
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-25-2023 at 03:07 PM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Definitely. New Hollywood mantra seems be "It's the age of IPs" while old Hollywood bemoans "the death of cinema"
    The age of IPs is probably more right. Any actor can be a movie star in the right IP, but no one can open just any old movie. If the guy from Eternals above plays James Bond, he's a movie star. "Stars" couldn't get people to Babylon and Amsterdam, which were among the biggest flops last year. It'd be crazy to pay someone like Jenna Ortega or any of the anonymous streaming actors above $20+ million to be the lead in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Jenna Ortega, Millie Bobby Brown and Bella Ramsey say hi. Sure they are not movie stars but they have become big names thanks to streaming. I'm more of a TV guy anyway.
    I have no clue who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I have no clue who they are.
    Jenna Ortega broke out in Wednesday on Netflix. Millie Bobby Brown also broke out big in Stranger Things on Netflix. Bella Ramsey was in Game of Thrones, His Dark Materials, and most recently The Last of Us. And while you can say they've all broken out big, I don't think you can call them 'Movie Star' big. Jenna was a supporting character in 2 Scream movies that did well, but weren't huge. Millie had a role in Godzilla, but otherwise she's been doing direct to streaming Enola Holmes movies. And I don't think Bella has been in anything that came out in theaters.

I also wouldn't count Anya Taylor-Joy. Yes, she had the Queen's Gambit, but she also had several notable rolls in movies before that.

Astonishing Member

A movie star is someone who can carry a movie on his name alone. Without a franchise, or a franchise he created (or played the lead role)

In the past people went to see the new Arnie, Stallone, Brad Pitt, Al Pacino etc....they often made movies without franchises.

Extraordinary Member

The singular, no-other-attraction needed movie star is effectively a dying breed, its true, but that was sort of inevitable as more entertainment avenues were created - and I'll be honest and say that I don't think "star vehicles" were any more (and sometimes were definitely less) a guarantor of either financial success or quality than "IP vehicles." Nowadays, if someone is just "Watchable," you can enjoy that by just watching them play video game sor spend money in some goofy way now. People demand more form movies and TV shows, because those cost more time and money than Twitch.

The ones who've managed to still cling to the old designation have done it by proving themselves able to master other parts of the business - self-promotion, producing, etc. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

The days of a star being bigger than the movie they are in are long gone. The mystique of being a movie star is long gone. And I am happy for the change. The big difference in today's stars is that, while they are all very famous people, the public values their fame much less and they have to stay active to stay famous.

I'd imagine its a lot less stressful to be rich and famous nowadays than back in the day. You can just step out of the public eye, stop updating your twitter and people forget about you and move on to the next thing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.