Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It's a bit more complicated.

Streamers don't automatically create stars, but it's the pathway to it.

Tom Hanks, Will Smith, Johnny Depp, Denzel Washington, George Clooney and others got their start on TV.

Jenna Ortega, Anja Taylor Joy and Paul Mescal (Normal People was a BBC mini-series, but it got international attention thanks to streaming) are going from streaming hits to movies. However, none of them are on the level of a Keanu Reeves. Yet.

It is a weird era of celebrity. I do agree that the stars, the actors able to get projects on their name rather than IP, are older. Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and company are sticking around, and not getting replaced.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Okay Boomer.

I don't think you're helping your case with these choices. I guess Ana Taylor Joy could work but that's sort of a reach. Also the stars aren't helping themselves with their inability to stay off Twitter saying dumb stuff. They really need handlers.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 04-26-2023 at 08:24 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

We're not getting new movie stars, from streaming or not. And that's in part because the corporations prefer that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I don't think you're helping your case with these choices. I guess Ana Taylor Joy could work but that's sort of a reach. Also the stars aren't helping themselves with their inability to stay off Twitter saying dumb stuff. They really need handlers.
    Don't know what you are talking about. Taylor is a movie star now, the other two are in the running for James Bond. Madden is also in the biggest series Amazon is doing now.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Don't know what you are talking about. Taylor is a movie star now, the other two are in the running for James Bond. Madden is also in the biggest series Amazon is doing now.
    While Joy a movie star she isn't the kind of high wattage star we are talking about. The other two are in the running for Bond...which means they aren't the kind of stars we are talking about either because that role is what makes you the kind of star we are talking about.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

That gets caught in a mosh if you attempt to make the case that "Streaming..." is the sole reason that she is though...

She is in The VVitch/Split/Glass before she had the role that you are seemingly suggesting made her a movie star.

Did "Streaming..." somehow do away with the existence of those three roles, and start from scratch?

(Never mind that the reason she is in The Northman probably has nothing to do with streaming and everything thing to do with The VVitch...)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Jenna Ortega, Millie Bobby Brown and Bella Ramsey say hi. Sure they are not movie stars but they have become big names thanks to streaming. I'm more of a TV guy anyway.
    Last of Us isn't streaming; it's cable.

HBOmax is streaming.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    Last of Us isn't streaming; it's cable.
    I don't watch Max on cable

Astonishing Member

I can see this opinion to be honest. Im no expert on what creates what in the Entertainment industry. But I just watched this Netflix series The Night Agent on Netflix. Pretty good. Had some issues. Apparently very popular. I did not know anyone in that cast.

Who cares about having "movie stars" anyway? Lazy execs were just happy they existed so they could bank on a hit without having to gamble any money or time into making the movie actually good. I will always appreciate good actors, and I really appreciate good writing. I like that we're becoming more aware of people like showrunners who I'm fine if they replace "movie stars" as being the most lauded. (I'm also fine with praising directors, but lord knows they've been too praised and some have been allowed to get away with way too much) Execs just loved that movie stars are glamorous and beautiful and that they had power over them so they could get some of that residual glamor cast off them. That's just one take anyway.

Not bad points to make j9ac9k