Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Wildly OOC for Cyclops and straight up deranged for Bishop.
    It's not out of character for cyclops at all. Remember when he tasked beast with creating a pathogen to kill off all the skulls? Bishop has killed billions like it was a handshake. I don't like how easy both of them came to that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Like serial killers? i don't get where your coming from. At all. lol so sorry. People kill roaches, they actively hunt them by bombing their houses for invading their space but we going to let a species invade our bodies to kill us. Not happening. lol.

From the mouth of Jean Grey.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Brood_(Race)

Quote1.png No. Their thoughts are manic -- madness -- driven by the fear of their queens. Scott, you need to imagine the control each of these queens must have. It must be absolute. Total. Imagine living your entire life as a predator -- hunting whatever you felt needed to be hunted. Consuming whatever you desired to consume. Just consider what it would be like having millions of your species -- millions of your race -- willing to die just so you could have more than what you already had. Consider the appetite of it... the power of it. Try to imagine what that must feel like. Now imagine something unexpected -- unforeseen -- that could take all of it away from you. And worse than that... it would turn you into that which you have lorded over for thousands of years: a drone. How badly would you overreact to this threat? How badly would you want that threat to die? These queens would sacrifice everything to hold on to their power. That's the threat the King Egg is... They will kill everything that stands in between them and the King Egg. Everything. Quote2.png

—Marvel Girl[src]
    She wasn't wrong, and besides, that was before Broo took up the mantle of the Brood King. Nonetheless, she didn't then and hasn't now advocated killing or saving them all. To be precise, she suggested, "some [i.e., those still under Broo's control] could be saved." And she certainly didn't shrug her shoulders at the death of countless living beings and stop Scott from killing the Brood over which Broo lost control...
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

So to twist a jean phrase. "so slavery it is..."
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

So to twist a jean phrase. "so slavery it is..."
    Or maybe Broo is subjecting them to a form of domestication. Human beings do it all the time, and to greater insult and injury.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Or maybe Broo is subjecting them to a form of domestication. Human beings do it all the time, and to greater insult and injury.
    The brood are a telepathic hive mind controlled by queens. When broo ate the kings egg he gained telepathic control over them. So much so he had them dancing Michael Jackson. That's not domestication, it's slavery.. That said the brood are omnicidal. I don't feel bad about them losing their ability to think for themselves considering what they always do with it when they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    The brood are a telepathic hive mind controlled by queens. When broo ate the kings egg he gained telepathic control over them. So much so he had them dancing Michael Jackson. That's not domestication, it's slavery.. That said the brood are omnicidal. I don't feel bad about them losing their ability to think for themselves considering what they always do with it when they have it.
    I suppose we can consider what we do to cats, dogs, and countless other animals every day—including teaching them tricks—slavery, too, no? And since Broo is exerting the same form of control, i.e., telepathic control, that the Brood Queens exert over the Brood, should we consider the Brood's natural state one of enslavement? And to be clear, I'm not being intentionally obtuse or clever; I'm trying to stick with logic here.

In either case, I feel Jean made the right, most objective call. She simply called for the Brood that remained under Broo's control not to be killed. She was thinking of Broo just as much as she was the "innocent" Brood and the implications—I suspect both the moral and ecological implications—of genociding an entire species. Ultimately, however, I don't think this debate can produce a "winner" or a "loser."

domestic animals still have some semblance of freedom. Broo's captives do not.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

domestic animals still have some semblance of freedom. Broo's captives do not.
    I suppose we can consider what we do to cats, dogs, and countless other animals every day—including teaching them tricks—slavery, too, no? And since Broo is exerting the same form of control, i.e., telepathic control, that the Brood Queens exert over the Brood, should we consider the Brood's natural state one of enslavement? And to be clear, I'm not being intentionally obtuse or clever; I'm trying to stick with logic here.

In either case, I feel Jean made the right, most objective call. She simply called for the Brood that remained under Broo's control not to be killed. She was thinking of Broo just as much as she was the "innocent" Brood and the implications—I suspect both the moral and ecological implications—of genociding an entire species. Ultimately, however, I don't think this debate can produce a "winner" or a "loser."

Now that we know mutants can eventually enslave and destroy the galaxy in SoS, should they be wiped out ?

Like serial killers? i don't get where your coming from. At all. lol so sorry. People kill roaches, they actively hunt them by bombing their houses for invading their space but we going to let a species invade our bodies to kill us. Not happening. lol.

From the mouth of Jean Grey.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Brood_(Race)

Quote1.png No. Their thoughts are manic -- madness -- driven by the fear of their queens. Scott, you need to imagine the control each of these queens must have. It must be absolute. Total. Imagine living your entire life as a predator -- hunting whatever you felt needed to be hunted. Consuming whatever you desired to consume. Just consider what it would be like having millions of your species -- millions of your race -- willing to die just so you could have more than what you already had. Consider the appetite of it... the power of it. Try to imagine what that must feel like. Now imagine something unexpected -- unforeseen -- that could take all of it away from you. And worse than that... it would turn you into that which you have lorded over for thousands of years: a drone. How badly would you overreact to this threat? How badly would you want that threat to die? These queens would sacrifice everything to hold on to their power. That's the threat the King Egg is... They will kill everything that stands in between them and the King Egg. Everything. Quote2.png

—Marvel Girl[src]
    Rereading this in X-Men #9 the other day honestly made me most concerned about Broo. Specifically,

"How badly would you overreact to this threat? How badly would you want that threat to die? These queens would sacrifice everything to hold on to their power. That's the threat the King Egg is... They will kill everything that stands in between them and the King Egg. Everything."

If his control slips and they turn their attention on him...
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Cyclops more than anyone knows how evil the Brood are. He came very very close to being converted into a one way back the first time they fought the Brood. They are not mindless, but they are a plague who would keep conquerring if left to their own devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Now that we know mutants can eventually enslave and destroy the galaxy in SoS, should they be wiped out ?
    False equivalency. Humans have the power to do that right now in the MU should they all be wiped out? the difference is it's not their very instinct and how they survive, for the brood it is. We could eat salads if we want unless we want to say we about to genocide lettuce. Which genocide is actually a human word anyway meaning a group of people but i digress.

And i'm really confused on what showing images, not you, of Broo attacking slavers using his very own slaves is suppose to say. He's a hero for doing exactly what cyclops wants to do now? Save countless lives? Or did the brood tie up the slavers and turn them over to the galactic police? How are they making more brood now as a matter of fact. Does broo morally weight what civilizations deserve to be fodder?
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-26-2023 at 01:58 PM.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Mighty Member

False equivalency. Humans have the power to do that right now in the MU should they all be wiped out? the difference is it's not their very instinct and how they survive, for the brood it is. We could eat salads if we want unless we want to say we about to genocide lettuce. Which genocide is actually a human word anyway meaning a group of people but i digress.

And i'm really confused on what showing images, not you, of Broo attacking slavers using his very own slaves is suppose to say. He's a hero for doing exactly what cyclops wants to do now? Save countless lives? Or did the brood tie up the slavers and turn them over to the galactic police? How are they making more brood now as a matter of fact. Does broo morally weight what civilizations deserve to be fodder?
    Yes that's exactly what Broo is doing. Magik called him dexter because he was using the brood to destroy the worst of the worst.

Mighty Member

Absolutely the brood queens use slavery. That doesn't include domestication of cats and dogs as the same thing. Cats are notoriously independent and dogs can behave independently as well. I get wanting to defend Jean's position, I agree with it. But let's not pretend this whole thing isn't a moral quagmire of horrible options. Left to their own devices the Brood will kill, lay eggs and consume everything. They state that every time they show up.
    Last edited by OG Storm; 04-26-2023 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Storm View Post
    Yes that's exactly what Broo is doing. Magik called him dexter because he was using the brood to destroy the worst of the worst.
    So he gets to make that moral choice to defend others but it's wrong for cyclops to decide to go after what he considers the worse of the worse when they are actively attacking his father and people? One thing though, at least Cyclops never seemed elated and wanted to be lifted and cheered after killing countless people. I mean it's a very weird road to go down to make cyclops seem unreasonable but broo some sort of hero. Cyclops has other independent minded people backing him up, to voice concerns and then make an informed choice, broo is the choice and the judge and the morals.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-26-2023 at 02:49 PM.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.