Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Your Dream X-men line: Rise of X edition

Imagine you get to decide the future of the franchise after Fall of X.
    If you decided every aspect of the line, what would you do with it?
    What would be the overall direction, the team roster, the title line-up and creative teams?

I probably spent more time than I should on this, but it was fun. So here goes mine:

[PART 1]

About Krakoa

After Fall of X, I'd want Krakoa to still be around, but with some caveats:
    - Resurrection is now limited to mutants who were victims of hate crimes or heroes fallen in action.
    - People can't be brought back several times anymore because Earth's resources are limited and cosmic expansion would lead to war.
    - Krakoa is now a democracy. Citizens elect 8 representantives for the new Infinite Council, who will decide on matters of Outreach (Summer), Stability (Fall), Survival (Winter) and Evolution (Spring)
    - Most villains show their true colors and are voted out of the Council. Shaw, Exodus and Selene become a force of political opposition, trying to gather new followers.
    - Not every book would be about Krakoa anymore. There would be more space for independent teams and agendas.
    - There would be a return to the franchise's goal of peaceful coexistence. Krakoa would be a safe haven for mutants everywhere, but there would be a growing trend of reintegration into "human" society.

About the line

My title line-up would consist of up to 12 books (3 titles per week).
    Wolverine would keep his solo and there would be at least another spot for a solo ongoing (Magik, Cable or Storm, probably).
    The most popular team books would be running monthly, and the more ancillary ones would be launched in seasons and would rotate with each other.
    Teams would have no more than 8 regular members. It's too common that some books lose focus for having too big a cast, and some characters end up appearing as no more than cameos.

I wanted to avoid having too many overlapping "X-men" teams, so I focused on bringing back teams that have been (or could become) strong IPs in their own right.

The teams

X-MEN

A team of mutant heroes out in the world, fighting for a better tomorrow for everyone.
    Now operating completely independently from Krakoa and no longer in New York, they'd be much more concerned with global threats than before.
    Jean and Cyclops would remain co-leaders and the roster would become much more stable now that Krakoans wouldn't be involved in elections.

IMMORTAL X-MEN

A new Infinite Council to ensure Krakoa's survival and evolution.
    Xavier and Pryde get the Summer seats (Outreach), to handle how Krakoa can be a positive force in the world. Xavier tries to relearn how to act towards his dream and Pryde takes a more hands-on approach to Council matters.
    Cecilia Reyes and Cypher get elected for Fall seats, handling the Stability of Krakoa and making sure everything is working as it should, from health to education.
    Destiny and Hope get Winter seats (Survival), in charge of preparing Krakoa against the most extreme scenarios to ensure its survival.
    Finally, Emma Frost and Forge get the Spring seats of Evolution, dealing with how Krakoa can keep growing and developing in sustainable ways.
    With the new democratic system, most of the villains lose their seats and form a strong opposition party.

X-FACTOR

Krakoa's own team of X-men and ambassadors.
    Tasked with making sure Krakoa's operations and humanitarian efforts in allied nations run smoothly, they are the face of Krakoa.
    HQ: San Francisco

X-CORPS

Krakoa's mutant police force. Not to be confused with the defunct X-Corporation, X-Corps are the ones patrolling the nation and investigating crimes.
    The book would be the place to explore what life in Krakoa is like.
    HQ: Krakoa

NEW MUTANTS

Dani Moonstar leads a first response team to rescue and protect new mutants when their powers activate. They're young mutants' first contact with Krakoa, welcoming those who need a new home or helping make sure they're safe in their original homes.
    HQ: Krakoa's Akademos Habitat

X-FORCE

Sage and Bishop unite once again to make Krakoa's FBI an effective organization.
    A black-ops team of mutants willing to get their hands dirty to protect their mutant paradise from outside forces.
    HQ: Krakoa
    Last edited by Factor; 04-25-2023 at 10:56 AM.

[PART II]

X-MEN RED

Following Storm and the Brotherhood of Arrakko.
    Mutants have reached space and trouble gains epic proportions when the unstable new nation has to protect its status as the voice of Sol.
    HQ: Arrakko

MARAUDERS

Whenever enemy nations disrespect mutant interests and firmer hands are needed, Krakoa's Marauders are on call to save mutants from danger.
    HQ: A reconstructed portion of Genosha.

HELLIONS

New York's last team of mutants isn't exactly the conventional type. Protecting the barriers between the human world and its various hells, Madelyne Pryor's team of villains and outcasts seek to learn if against demons they too can be heroes.
    HQ: Limbo's embassy in NYC.

EXCALIBUR

A team of heroes protecting Earth from the dangers of Otherworld and patrolling its ten realms.
    A return to the classic and more light-hearted vibe of the original Excalibur.
    HQ: The Lighthouse

ALPHA FLIGHT

Following whatever mess happens in Fall of X, Canada is once again mutantkind's ally.
    And to prove it, Canada's government-sponsored team is back to prove that mutants and humans can not only peacefully coexist but also protect a nation while they're at it.
    HQ: Department H

EXILES

To protect realities on the verge of mutant extinction events, Blink must gather a new team of Exiles to make sure her Earth's fate isn't repeated.
    Reuniting mutants from several popular AUs and incorporaring HOX/POX lore into the Multiverse.
    Plus a heroic Moira as the new Timebroker.
    HQ: Crystal Palace

Creative teams

For the creative teams, I decided to:
    1) change some that I don't think are working so well
    2) move others to titles that could better fit their sensibilities (i.e. Duggan's style could be a great fit for an action-oriented X-force run)
    3) give chances to new voices that have been recently announced
    4) bring back some creators who have done great work in the past

X-MEN: by Mike Carey and Russel Dauterman
    IMMORTAL: by Kieron Gillen and Lucas Werneck
    X-FACTOR: by Kelly Thompson and Sean Izaakse
    X-CORPS: by Vita Ayala and Mahmud Asrar
    NEW MUTANTS: by Deniz Camp and Dustin Weaver
    MARAUDERS: by Gail Simone and Carmen Carnero
    X-FORCE: by Gerry Duggan and Valerio Schiti
    X-MEN RED: by Al Ewing and Stefano Caselli
    EXCALIBUR by Simon Spurrier and Paco Medina
    HELLIONS: by Steve Foxe and Jonas Scharf
    ALPHA FLIGHT: by Jim Zub and Andrea Di Vito
    EXILES: by Cullen Bunn and Jorge Molina
    + Pepe Larraz and RB Silva on special projects

Great line-ups!

My dream roster:

Iceman
    Rogue
    Gambit
    Siryn
    Neal Shaara
    Threnody
    Bedlam
    Tarot
    Chamber

By Mike Carey & Jorge Jimenez

Love all the effort and your lineups!

So, original universe Beast is really that irredeemable that he can't be used in any team? Even with the recent(very)subtle hints that he's being possessed/controlled/manipulated?
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

Really great work, Factor. I appreciate the time and effort you put into your concepts/lineups and I love them. I'll be giving mine some thought for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    So, original universe Beast is really that irredeemable that he can't be used in any team? Even with the recent(very)subtle hints that he's being possessed/controlled/manipulated?
    Don't worry, this is Factor's reality. What lineup would you build?
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I would cut the line to maybe 4 books including a Wolverine solo series........sometimes less is more mini series or other limited series can be started for other characters as needed depending on story etc..

X-Men:

Cyclops
    Jean Grey
    Synch
    Talon/X-23
    Thunderbird
    Sunfire
    Cecelia Reyes
    Jubilee
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

OK those line ups are pretty damn good.

Every team has a least 3 characters I like or want to see developed.

Neal should go by Agni now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Really great work, Factor. I appreciate the time and effort you put into your concepts/lineups and I love them. I'll be giving mine some thought for sure.

Don't worry, this is Factor's reality. What lineup would you build?
    Oh, I didn't mean to sound douchey.

Hmm...maybe something like this(yeah, I'm pretty hardcore 05):

Beast
    Angel
    Iceman
    Cyclops
    Jean Grey
    Storm
    Colossus
    Kitty
    Cecelia Reyes
    Jubilee

This might be too big a roster, though.
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

I dont like that those are all 8 member teams. Too big IMO. The ideal roster lies within 5-7

Thats the best part. You can make your own teams.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Loving these teams and creative teams! Will be sharing my thoughts soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Great line-ups!

My dream roster:

Iceman
    Rogue
    Gambit
    Siryn
    Neal Shaara
    Threnody
    Bedlam
    Tarot
    Chamber

By Mike Carey & Jorge Jimenez
    Thanks, Hi-Fi!
    Jorge Jimenez on the X-book would be so awesome!
    And I really love how you included Tarot. I wish I had found a spot for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Love all the effort and your lineups!
    Thanks It was more effort than I expected, but I love doing these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    I think sometimes characters just need a bit of time off after being so mishandled (I didn't put Guardian in AF for the same reason). Since this would take place right after FoX, I chose to add other characters instead.
    Even so, I still wanted to include Beast somehow, so I thought it would be nice to have a classic version of him join the Exiles to help rehabilitate the character's image.
    But I could see him as a good fit for X-factor down the line. He'd be at home alongside Iceman and Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    OK those line ups are pretty damn good.

Every team has a least 3 characters I like or want to see developed.

Neal should go by Agni now.
    Thanks, cgar! I had fun trying to create line-ups that could feel iconic but also included some characters that need more exposure.
    Love the Agni codename for Neal, he really needs one now (actually, he needs a book first)

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont like that those are all 8 member teams. Too big IMO. The ideal roster lies within 5-7
    I would generally agree that 7-member teams are better, but I wanted to include too many characters LOL
    8 was the lowest compromise to include as many as I could without getting TOO big. I think it's already an improvement considering some of the books have 12 main characters (Immortal), or had so many side characters that barely got screen time (SWORD).

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Loving these teams and creative teams! Will be sharing my thoughts soon.
    Thank you! Looking forward to seeing your ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Thanks so much! Can't wait to see your takes!