Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    How useful will that remaining ability be against say a Doomsday?
    About as useful as anyone who isn't Superman would be against Doomsday.

In other words, it really doesn't matter what power Karen has, because DC's company line is that no one beats Doomsday other than Superman.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

From what I' read Power Girl, it's not a lot by the way. I never got the idea she was ever unused to a family or being close to people. She does got the whole "I'm from a dead universe bit going on". Is this more how Leah Williams is writing Power Girl? Also, it's weird she's a comparing PG to Spike Spiegel, considering his willingness to let people die. I think that's a comparison that shouldn't be overlooked. Lastly, what checkered past?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Read the Special, I know some people don’t like Sauvage’s art but count me as one of her fans. Williams’ writing has been hit or miss (I do think she succeeds in giving PG a unique voice amongst the Supers with all the swearing) but the art has always been a delight for me. At the end of the Special PG has lost her telepathic powers but she still has the ability to astral punch, and now she’s been accepted into the Super Family. Those of you wanting her to have some connection to the Family should be happy about that at least. Oh and Kara let’s her share Streaky which I found funny, hopefully they can co-parent that cat.

Enjoyed the Fire & Ice backup, don’t know if I’ll stick with the whole miniseries but I’ll check out the first issue.

Is it really unique? Some writers has toyed the line with Jon cussing. Tom King had Kara cussing in WoT.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 06-05-2023 at 12:54 PM.

Joanne, Leah, what else can you tease for Fire and Ice and for Power Girl ahead of each of their respective series launches on Sept. 5?

Starer: There are so many characters in this series. A lot of them are new, but a lot of them are old favorites. You're going to see people you know from the JLI books. If you’re a Keith Giffen fan, I promise you’ll be happy -- and I desperately hope Keith Giffen will also be happy. There are also a lot of cats.

Williams: [SNL’s Stefon voice] "******* Super-cats. Space pirates. Atlanteans. Killer robots. Zombie*******. The debut of a batshit-but-fun new main villain -- this book has it all." In all seriousness though, in the ongoing series, we'll see the quirks of her being besties with Omen and both of them sharing an apartment with Streaky, and the unique sorts of missions Superman entrusts Power Girl alone with.
    Omen sticking around sounds nice. Never been that into her or PG previously but Omen never seemed to stick around as a Titan.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It would be nice to see Williams bring back Terra. Or Vartox .

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Lol, these are fantastic!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

They are having fun with those covers .

Extraordinary Member

Omen sticking around sounds nice. Never been that into her or PG previously but Omen never seemed to stick around as a Titan.
    While the story ideas sound nice, (and here I'll point out that Palimiotti and Gray put out a similar sort of stories for PG as what they'd do when they wrote her---but wound up no doing any of it), the Omen thing is iffy. They keep trying that same trick, and it didn't really stick the last time, did it? There's no groundswell of demand for new Atlee/PG stories that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    While the story ideas sound nice, (and here I'll point out that Palimiotti and Gray put out a similar sort of stories for PG as what they'd do when they wrote her---but wound up no doing any of it), the Omen thing is iffy. They keep trying that same trick, and it didn't really stick the last time, did it? There's no groundswell of demand for new Atlee/PG stories that I'm aware of.
    Seems the PG Special sold well so perhaps people are responding to the idea. Frankly I think you need to do a shakeup every now and then. Yes the two didn’t historically have a connection… but now they do and I don’t think either is worse off for it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I mean, I'm happy Omen is appearing in something, even if the new powers and attitude still need to win me over.

2:53 PM
    "At its core, this book is all about female friendship, and to know that on every level that's going to be handled with sensitivity, that it's not going to be turned into a big-boob, sexy-level... it's been a wonderful experience," Joanne says. "There are a lot of feelings in this book, I'm sorry. Just a warning, if that's not for you."
    2:52 PM
    "It's honestly so inspiring to me, it's what keeps me going," Joanne says about her creative team. "When I started reading comics, you were lucky if you got a book with [one] female creator... to be able to work on a book where it's all women, from editor to letterer, is mind-boggling."
    2:50 PM
    "Looking at the experiences of super-women, what's that like, and to be in that place, is very interesting to me," Joanne says.
    2:50 PM
    Joanne says that, in real life, how would Fire and Ice deal with the fact that, after all their superhero careers, they've never become big names. "Now what? We're never going to become Batman and Superman. Do we keep going? Do we find something else?" she says they're asking themselves. The new series sees them "reset" in Smallville, "and to each of them, that means something different."
    2:49 PM
    Joanne Starer is talking Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville. "So, JLI was always my book," she says. "I grew up with the Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire Justice League. It was kind of surprising to me that Fire and Ice had never had their own series... they were characters I was just driven to, because they're such a perfect odd couple, and they're also women. You have one that's spicy and hot, and one that's cold. It's the perfect pairing."
    https://www.thepopverse.com/dawn-dc-...c-con-liveblog

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Some solid quotes there. In particular that its a friendship book first and foremost. And that Joanne is a huge JLI fan (which makes sense), lol.

At first I wasn't sure if I'd check this out but I did order the first issue (got sucked in by yet another Jen Bartel variant, ha, and oh if that Maguire one wasn't so expensive), but I'm digging these quotes from the writer.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 07-22-2023 at 04:56 AM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

FIRE & ICE: WELCOME TO SMALLVILLE #2
    Art by JOANNE STARER
    Cover by TERRY DODSON
    Variant cover by GREG SMALLWOOD
    1:25 variant cover by JOSHUA “SWAY” SWABY
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | 2 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 10/3/23
    What’s a Smallville fight club without any fighters? While Ice discovers the magic of community heroism—no superpowers required—Fire’s latest scheme to restore their former glory brings Ambush Bug(?!) to town, but their violent attempts at viral fame go unnoticed by the world. Could a chance encounter with Smallville’s hottest bartender show Fire the light? Or will the sparks that fly between them burn the town to the ground? It’s Fire we’re talking about, so…probably the latter?
    I figure the PG fans are going to talk about her book over in the appreciation thread, so I think I’ll just keep this as the Fire & Ice discussion thread.

Already got some romance brewing! Also, Ambush Bug .

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I figure the PG fans are going to talk about her book over in the appreciation thread, so I think I’ll just keep this as the Fire & Ice discussion thread.
    I love this cover! I may get it just for this!
    Assassinate Putin!