Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Extraordinary Member

I do like that she seems to be giving Power Girl some new villains----but I wish they weren't mostly female, and I wish they were more terrifying----even to someone like PG. But then I'd also hope that her new powers work very well against pretty much any bad guy.

From the upcoming Power Girl Special:

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I do like that she seems to be giving Power Girl some new villains----but I wish they weren't mostly female, and I wish they were more terrifying----even to someone like PG. But then I'd also hope that her new powers work very well against pretty much any bad guy.
    We don't get a lot of female villains compared to male ones (Wonder Woman pretty much has the largest population of female villains in her rogues gallery among the Big 2). Also, it's way to early to say they aren't terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    From the upcoming Power Girl Special:

I wonder if we're going to see the incident that got Fire and Ice in trouble?

Johnny Sorrow looks positively cheerful.

Power Girls' got some lyrical new foes to contend with.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    We don't get a lot of female villains compared to male ones (Wonder Woman pretty much has the largest population of female villains in her rogues gallery among the Big 2). Also, it's way to early to say they aren't terrifying.
    It maybe a bit early on that, I'll agree. However, the female villains for a female hero thing is a bit cliche. I again admit, these might be the only female villains for PG, but we'll just have to wait and see.

It's gonna take time to build up a rogues gallery, I wouldn't stress it. And that's assuming any of this lasts. I want a healthy dose of female villains (half Karen's rogues should be women, I think), but more than anything I want variety, and I want the handful of foes Karen already has (or can at least lay a claim to) used and developed more. I hate it when a rogues gallery is just repeating the hero's main thing, like when Cyborg fights nothing but robots, or Superman just fights alien invaders. Give me Karen fighting robots and evil clones and mad scientists and cults and gods and business rivals (not every villain wears a cape) and aliens and multiversal secret societies trying to erase evidence of the first Crisis and kaiju and sentient income statements trying to topple businesses.....

And I'm sure we'll get the incel "women have a place" male villains, and I'm always happy to see those people get called out, but I hope we get some dudes who are evil without being sexist about it. Just a dude who wants to rule the world, but still believes in equal pay.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It maybe a bit early on that, I'll agree. However, the female villains for a female hero thing is a bit cliche.
    But it isn't. It's actually very rare for female superheroes to have a rogues gallery consisting mostly or entirely of women. As I said, Wonder Woman is the exception to the rule. Besides, we have male heroes who mostly fight guys. Having male villains at all is far more of a cliche.

I love female villains myself...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    But it isn't. It's actually very rare for female superheroes to have a rogues gallery consisting mostly or entirely of women. As I said, Wonder Woman is the exception to the rule. Besides, we have male heroes who mostly fight guys. Having male villains at all is far more of a cliche.
    PG's gallery is likely not entirely women, (and here I'm losing the Johns, Palmiotti stuff), but lead with someone else---or announce some others as well. PG isn't exactly overflowing with bad guys, and one called "Poet" doesn't sound like the foe of a "Power Girl". Though maybe it is of someone called "Paige", who just wants to hear your problems, a $450 an hour of course.

Oh Guy, don't screw this up...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It's gonna take time to build up a rogues gallery, I wouldn't stress it. And that's assuming any of this lasts. I want a healthy dose of female villains (half Karen's rogues should be women, I think), but more than anything I want variety, and I want the handful of foes Karen already has (or can at least lay a claim to) used and developed more. I hate it when a rogues gallery is just repeating the hero's main thing, like when Cyborg fights nothing but robots, or Superman just fights alien invaders. Give me Karen fighting robots and evil clones and mad scientists and cults and gods and business rivals (not every villain wears a cape) and aliens and multiversal secret societies trying to erase evidence of the first Crisis and kaiju and sentient income statements trying to topple businesses.....

And I'm sure we'll get the incel "women have a place" male villains, and I'm always happy to see those people get called out, but I hope we get some dudes who are evil without being sexist about it. Just a dude who wants to rule the world, but still believes in equal pay.
    The bolded bit is very like Palmiotti and Gray's initial pitch as reported in the old Rama. Which they didn't follow at all in the actual series, but it was there.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

This is very much what I would like to see as well. Karen started and ran her own very successful tech company (does she still have that?) I would love to see her tackle some board room villains who maybe are trying hostile takeovers of her company while also punching out super villains on the other page. I dont want her name to be Paige simply because Lil' cousin Jon suggested it....why would she even consider that? What's the reasoning behind it? She has a life as Karen. I'm happy Power Girl is getting another series. I have really enjoyed Williams work at Marvel (Exterminators was awesome) so I am hopeful that she will do Power Girl justice here.