Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This is very much what I would like to see as well. Karen started and ran her own very successful tech company (does she still have that?) I would love to see her tackle some board room villains who maybe are trying hostile takeovers of her company while also punching out super villains on the other page. I dont want her name to be Paige simply because Lil' cousin Jon suggested it....why would she even consider that? What's the reasoning behind it? She has a life as Karen. I'm happy Power Girl is getting another series. I have really enjoyed Williams work at Marvel (Exterminators was awesome) so I am hopeful that she will do Power Girl justice here.
    Right? I feel like the vibe from X-Terminators would be great for a PG book. Over the top action heavy with comical banter. Williams did that well before so hoping she can do it again with PG. So far, I've found it kinda boring but hoping the new series will open up a bit.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Right? I feel like the vibe from X-Terminators would be great for a PG book. Over the top action heavy with comical banter. Williams did that well before so hoping she can do it again with PG. So far, I've found it kinda boring but hoping the new series will open up a bit.
    It'll probably pick up once they dump the "Paige, professional therapist" storyline.

X-Terminators was somewhat in-line with the Conner/Palmiotti PG run from what I remember.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    X-Terminators was somewhat in-line with the Conner/Palmiotti PG run from what I remember.
    Yeah, agreed.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Read the Special, I know some people don’t like Sauvage’s art but count me as one of her fans. Williams’ writing has been hit or miss (I do think she succeeds in giving PG a unique voice amongst the Supers with all the swearing) but the art has always been a delight for me. At the end of the Special PG has lost her telepathic powers but she still has the ability to astral punch, and now she’s been accepted into the Super Family. Those of you wanting her to have some connection to the Family should be happy about that at least. Oh and Kara let’s her share Streaky which I found funny, hopefully they can co-parent that cat.

Enjoyed the Fire & Ice backup, don’t know if I’ll stick with the whole miniseries but I’ll check out the first issue.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Read the Special, I know some people don’t like Sauvage’s art but count me as one of her fans. Williams’ writing has been hit or miss (I do think she succeeds in giving PG a unique voice amongst the Supers with all the swearing) but the art has always been a delight for me. At the end of the Special PG has lost her telepathic powers but she still has the ability to astral punch, and now she’s been accepted into the Super Family. Those of you wanting her to have some connection to the Family should be happy about that at least. Oh and Kara let’s her share Streaky which I found funny, hopefully they can co-parent that cat.

Enjoyed the Fire & Ice backup, don’t know if I’ll stick with the whole miniseries but I’ll check out the first issue.
    How useful will that remaining ability be against say a Doomsday?

This scene was my favorite. I know some people have qualms about Williams’ characterization of PG, can’t speak to that since I haven’t read any of her “must-reads”, but this scene sold me on what she brings to the Super-Family. She’s someone who screws up in ways the rest of them aren’t usually allowed to and I think that’s a valuable trait to have. Makes her stand out as the most human of the bunch compared to how the rest can come across as nigh-perfect demigods (coincidentally that’s also why I love Kenan because he’s more fallible than the others usually get to be too).

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    How useful will that remaining ability be against say a Doomsday?
    I have no clue since I’m not exactly sure how that power really works . It seems to be useful at dispelling illusions and mind control, so if Doomsday ever manifested those powers then she would be very useful. Otherwise she still retains the traditional Kryptonian powerset at least.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-30-2023 at 04:13 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

This scene was my favorite. I know some people have qualms about Williams’ characterization of PG, can’t speak to that since I haven’t read any of her “must-reads”, but this scene sold me on what she brings to the Super-Family. She’s someone who screws up in ways the rest of them aren’t usually allowed to and I think that’s a valuable trait to have. Makes her stand out as the most human of the bunch compared to how the rest can come across as nigh-perfect demigods (coincidentally that’s also why I love Kenan because he’s more fallible than the others usually get to be too).
    You should totally read the Conner/Palmiotti Power Girl run. It's awesome .

Extraordinary Member

I have no clue since I’m not exactly sure how that power really works . It seems to be useful at dispelling illusions and mind control, so if Doomsday ever manifested those powers then she would be very useful. Otherwise she still retains the traditional Kryptonian powerset at least.
    Well, that could prove useful to her; as she seemed to have gotten mind controlled every 30 issues or so back in the aughts. To bad she didn't also get immunity to her greatest weakness---headlocks. Seriously, every time she was beaten in a hero fight--that's how she lost.

You should totally read the Conner/Palmiotti Power Girl run. It's awesome .
    I wager it’s a comedy book more in the vein of Fraction’s Jimmy Olsen mini than standard superhero book right? I might check it out, if nothing else the art is sure to be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, that could prove useful to her; as she seemed to have gotten mind controlled every 30 issues or so back in the aughts. To bad she didn't also get immunity to her greatest weakness---headlocks. Seriously, every time she was beaten in a hero fight--that's how she lost.
    Hah interesting, perhaps that is why Williams went with Johnny Sorrows? To have PG defeat a telepathic enemy on her own for once? And now she does have a power that would help protect her against threats like that in the future.

I wager it’s a comedy book more in the vein of Fraction’s Jimmy Olsen mini than standard superhero book right? I might check it out, if nothing else the art is sure to be great.
    It's definitely a very tongue-in-cheek book but it's also pretty action-packed. It has some really creepy stuff with Ultra-Humanite.

It's definitely a very tongue-in-cheek book but it's also pretty action-packed. It has some really creepy stuff with Ultra-Humanite.
    Hmm I do love Humanite.

Another thing I love: this art. Reminds me of Dereington.

Extraordinary Member

Hmm I do love Humanite.

Another thing I love: this art. Reminds me of Dereington.
    It is very nice art.

I was not feally a fan of the supermenagerie thing so the super powered dog and cat are not my thing.

Power Girl Special: Leah Williams & Joanne Starer Set Up New Adventures for Power Girl and Fire & Ice
    While the superhero stakes are real, Fire and Ice have a solid foundation in comedy thanks to their time in Justice League International. How did you want to approach the sense of humor in this story?

Starer: Oh, this was always going to be a humor book! I can't write anything without a little "HAHA!" Or "BWAHAHA," in this case. I grew up on the JLI books, and they're really the foundation for how I approach my comics writing. There's probably a lot of John Byrne's She-Hulk in me too, but we don't break the fourth wall in this book. Getting a good joke in is much more important to me than a big fight scene, and hopefully that joke will be followed by a moment that really makes you feel something. It's that kind of book. There's action, and there's also wedgies. Super wedgies.
    Leah, Power Girl is a character who hasn't been featured as much until her reintroduction in Action Comics this year. How did you want to position her within the wider Super-Family for this adventure?

Leah Williams: I definitely wanted to showcase what sets her apart from the rest of the Super-family; not only in her expertise, but how different her personality is. She's kind of a wild card comparatively because her experience and background differ so greatly [from the others]. Power Girl is also really unused to family or being close to people, and it's something she struggles with, even as accepting and open as the Super-family is towards her.

She's also got a wicked sense of humor, and my editor Brittany Holzherr and I compare her to Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop. Like a sexy protagonist with a checkered past, guarded heart, and a colorful supporting cast aiding their adventures.