Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville

DC Comics has added two new series to their Dawn of DC initiative: Power Girl and Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville. Both are launching on September 5, with a lead-in one-shot Power Girl Special #1 coming out on May 30th with a Power Girl main story and a Fire & Ice backup story. Read on for all the details!

Power Girl Special #1 is by Leah Williams and artist Marguerite Sauvage with colorist Tamra Bonvillain and lettered by Ariana Maher with the backup story by Joanne Starer and Natacha Bustos.
    So what’s Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville #1 about?

Superman sent the former Justice Leaguers packing for Smallville to lie low following their extremely public and utterly disastrous mission in Baltimore, and in doing so doomed them to a fate worse than death: irrelevance. Ice finds herself drawn to the quiet life and dreams of planting roots. But Fire…well, Fire will do just about anything to get the hell outta dodge and back on the Super Hero circuit—including challenging the DC Universe’s biggest villains to a knock-down, drag-out, live-streamed brawl in the streets of Smallville!

Extraordinary Member

Ah geez. C’mon Bea.
    You’re suppose to be a former secret agent.

I just love that Fire and Ice are getting some serious attention. Not counting the usual Tom King character assassination, they've been out of the spotlight for too long.

I really enjoy that so many non-A-listers are getting some love in the whole Dawn of DC initiative. Hopefully that'll continue and we'll get some additional surprise focus on those types of folks.

Extraordinary Member

This is a 6 issue mini.

Anyways the premise is so bizzare that the only logical conclusion is that Big Corn is flexing ita muscles on DC and that we are on the precipice of a glorious new DC Farm Universe.

Finally time in the spotlight for Fire!

I'm seriously surprised animation never gave Fire and Ice more love. They seemed like such perfect candidates to be fun semi-regulars on shows like JLU, Brave and the Bold and Justice League Action. Even DC Super Hero Girls and its various incarnations.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-26-2023 at 11:14 AM.

Screenshot_20230426-151230.jpg
    Please fans..buuyy and look L-Ron is there too.

1 - Is there supposed to be something to that cloud formation behind them that I'm not seeing? It's really distracting me...
    2 - Speaking of deja vu, this reminds me of "The Simple Life" (yes, the Paris Hilton "reality" show) Not just the American Gothic cover, but the fish out of water premise.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    1 - Is there supposed to be something to that cloud formation behind them that I'm not seeing? It's really distracting me...
    2 - Speaking of deja vu, this reminds me of "The Simple Life" (yes, the Paris Hilton "reality" show) Not just the American Gothic cover, but the fish out of water premise.
    Green Acres meets the The Simple Life

Extraordinary Member

Why does Bea look like Peg Bundy?

Regardless, I'm glad anytime Fire and Ice get some love.

Fire and Ice stuck in Smallville is such a random premise, but I guess it could be fun seeing these two contrasted with how hokey and plain Smallville is and what kind of hijinks they can get into. I'm genuinely curious what they could've screwed up so badly to turn into public pariahs.

So the Kents as supporting characters?

Yeah, there's no reason to use the Smallville setting otherwise, I'd expect Jonathan and Martha to be in the supporting cast - maybe Conner too, since Superboy was living with them. Maybe a villain attacks, Ice tries to get Fire to stay hidden, and Conner ends up taking the spotlight, to Fire's chagrin. Helps Clark keep the pair in line, you know? Then by issue 6, something big happens and the duo have to step in and save the day. If that's not the end of the series, they then decide to stay long term and be the town's defenders.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Nice. I'm really excited for this one. Man DC is really putting out a lot of stuff I'm looking forward to in the Dawn of DC.

I've never read anything from Joanne Slater but the art is definitely going to be great.