Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They just had to film Fire's butt, huh?
    Should have said “Thicc and juicy.”

Fire dating a mass murderer…

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Fire dating a mass murderer…
    What makes it worse is that she constantly does off on how much she dislikes Guy Gardner because he's a macho pig, but goes into heat the moment she sees Lobo who is several magnitudes worse than how Guy acts.

Which is some horrible hypocrisy on her part.

Otherwise this book is just really mean. I now full on hate the bar guy's sister cause it seems her only purpose now is to tell Ice what a bad friend Fire is and to break up their friendship.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 12-05-2023 at 03:59 PM.

Well, less dating and more a booty call, but...

IEveryone is coming off kind of bad in this issue except Ma Kent.

Fire and Ice's friendship is being depicted as toxic and treating that like it's a legitimate issue, Bea is at her most unlikable, Tora has very little backbone and both feel like bad friends to each other to the point where you wonder why they're even friends to the first place, and the humor just isn't landing.

Also way to take away from Krypto as a guard dog by making him a bad guard dog.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Hmm, glad I dropped this book. I liked the premise to a degree and gave it a few issues (Jimmy Olsen is worth it) but the jokes never really landed for me and while I understand the appeal of the art style, it’s just not really currently my bag. Generally speaking I’m all for zany, but it seems like it got just way too out there.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I was trying to give it a chance, but man, this series is badly written. What even is going on?
    Last issue, one character ate another and everyone is just shaking their heads? Superman didn't even show up FOR THAT?
    Fire, who hates Guy, is rolling in the hay with Lobo? And everyone's okay with minor-but-still-dangerous supervillains just filming stunts in Smallville?
    Drag Queen bingo in agricultural small town Smallville? That apple-pie-down-on-the-farm Ma Kent regularly attends?
    Some rando trying to break up Fire and Ice's friendship probably so she can date Ice?

And with Fire so badly written, it's really hard to understand why Tora WOULD be friends with Fire?

I just don't understand what the writers were thinking. This series is not doing Fire any favors and is making her come off terribly, which leaves Ice high and dry. They ARE friends and they are SUPPOSED to balance each other and be together. Why are the writers trying to question one of the few female friendships of comics, especially with such small characters who barely get attention as it is?
    This is making Ice the Murderess and blackmailer from "Human Target" look like she got off waaay better than Fire will from this series.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

I like it, small town, people and sentient beings have something to hide, wacky shenanigans ensue, please more Martha Kent, Jonathan Kent show up if he wants to.

This book is incoherent nonsense. Nothing flows … nothing is funny … it just flip flops from scene to scene.

They just had to film Fire's butt, huh?
    That is part of the brazilian idiosincracy. Really.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post
    This book is incoherent nonsense. Nothing flows … nothing is funny … it just flip flops from scene to scene.
    It reads like a romcom tv show or something. I don't hate it but it's definitely odd.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    It reads like a romcom tv show or something. I don't hate it but it's definitely odd.
    And I've seen better romcoms!

And I've seen better romcoms!
    I didn't say it was good. Like I said I don't hate it but I definitely don't think I'll ever re-read it once it's done. BTW Rocky is clearly some secret villain on the down low. Probably has some grudge against Fire from her past or something.

Fire and Ice in Cover Variant Blue Beetle 7

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Fire and Ice in Cover Variant Blue Beetle 7

Neat! Looks to be a Keith Giffen tribute cover.

Extraordinary Member

Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville #5 Preview
    Writer: Joanne Starer
    Artist: Natacha Bustos